< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for Guidance w/Educating 3 yr old.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
Looking for Guidance w/Educating 3 yr old.
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
 I have a 3 yr old daughter. I would like to start talking to her about guns, safety, uses, etc. I feel kinda overwhelmed a little bit on how to start but also think the earlier the better. What do I start talking about first, obviously safety?  When do I let her handle an unloaded weapon with my supervision? She sees gun publications around the house and knows that daddy has guns and goes shooting.
 Any guidance from someone with experience would be appreciated.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Looking for Guidance w/Educating 3 yr old.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »
 I started with both of my girls when they were young also. The safty portion of it is first as far as I'm concerned and the most important. Letting them know that the gun is not a toy and they should never touch one without parental supervision. At the same time teach them about what it does. I would teach the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. Trust me it does work. Personal experience with this. I waited until both of my daughters were 5 before I sat down with them and a pellet gun. Of course very kid is differant.
 The one thing you don't want to do is make it so they are curious about your guns cause the first time you leave them along they will be looking for Dads gun because he told me don't touch it. You must explain why they shouldn't touch it.
 My kids have never touched them without me be around watching.
Of course I also told them they would be a mess of trouble if they ever touched one without me knowing about it. A little fear of Dad doesn't hurt.
Parenting is soooooooo much fun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
This site has some pretty good suggestions:

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#Kids

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
Lotsa good stuff at Corneredcat.

Take your kids shooting, so they understand what guns are capable of.  Some of mine pulled their first triggers at 3.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »
I think it's different for every kid.  My daughter is 5 and I don't think she's ready yet, even with adult supervision.  She's a little too flighty and tends to be too absent minded.  Other kids may be ready much earlier.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
That's a good site.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:37:45 PM »
3 is about when I started with my daughter,  The Chipmunk single shot rifle was for the range, the Bandit sucker tip cross bow for the home.  At this age they just like to be with their dads, take her with to the range with some thing else to do when she looses interest.  I would load the rubber primer powered bullets into a handgun and we would shoot pop cans together, seeing a 1 inch hole blown in a can helped her to understand what type of danger a firearm was.  Around 8 she was ready for a semi auto rifle.  The 410 shotgun was kind of a waste, she handles a 12ga as well as she needs as an adult.

You have made a choice to have electricity, fire, knives, scissors and guns in the house, don't make them afraid of those things but teach them to use each safely.

Don't be like this idiot who not only left his gun lay out, his wife takes a nap while a 3yr old runs alone in the house.

Police officer?s toddler shoots himself

The 3-year-old son of a Camp Lejeune, N.C., civilian law enforcement officer died Monday after shooting himself in the head with a gun he found in his home.

Tyler Robert Lewis was pronounced dead when he arrived at Onslow Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville, said Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown. He suffered a gunshot wound to his forehead.

Tyler found the weapon, a .40-caliber pistol, on a nightstand in the family?s house. The boy woke his mother, Kimberly Lewis, early Monday and told her he was going to play with his toys, Brown said. Sometime later, the mother heard a gunshot. Someone called 911 to report the shooting around 10 a.m.

Tyler?s father, Robert Lewis, was working on the base when the shooting occurred, Brown said. Lejeune officials are not releasing information about him. Brown said the Onslow County District Attorney?s Office will determine whether to file charges in the case.

Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger