< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SWATTING  (Read 1791 times)

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
SWATTING
« on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
http://www.gunowners.org/news11142014.htm

Looks like another reason for going concealed.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: SWATTING
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »
there is a video on youtube of a guy playing a video game and the cops busting in,    I also read that mothers against anything fun, were calling on there members to do exactly this, to call in on anyone they see carrying a firearm.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »
See, I was told multiple times by those who know better than me during the Great CCW Debate that I could just open carry (when they weren't predicting widespread murder and mayhem due to the legalization of concealed carry.) 

I'm having a difficult time finding those persons who know better than me nowadays.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »
Touche'

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »
This phenominon always makes me wonder...

1. Isn't calling in a false 911 emergency HIGHLY illegal, with severe punishments on the books?

2. If not, what state legislator worth his or her salt wouldn't be queuing up to propose such legislation.  The local (Lincoln) news has recently reported stories about these sorts of "pranks" being pulled.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:00:32 AM »
It already is very illegal, the problem is the guys calling in are good enough to not be caught. Especially with VoIP software, VPN's, TOR, proxies, etc. it's simple to make an untraceable 911 call using stuff like Skype.

Most SWATTING happens with online gaming. I used to be a gamer (still am but not as much as I used to) so I always made sure I kept my gaming persona separate from the real me, meaning it would take a lot of work for someone to connect my gaming username to the real me. That's the biggest way to stop SWATTING, if they don't know who you are or where you live they can't call the cops on you.

As for the 7-Eleven story, I wonder if the guy who called it in got in trouble. That's hardly anonymous like the normal gaming situations are.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:36 AM »
1. Isn't calling in a false 911 emergency HIGHLY illegal, with severe punishments on the books?

that's what i was wondering, you'd think this'd be the real crime here.

this leftist group truly are a bunch of mental patients.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
As for the 7-Eleven story, I wonder if the guy who called it in got in trouble. That's hardly anonymous like the normal gaming situations are.

I wondered if the police examined the store video during the cyclist's visit to see who else was there and if they saw anyone making a cellphone call after he left.  Cell tower records in the area could also identify the caller.  But, I doubt that they would take the time.

The laws concerning false 911 calls are all over the board.  In California it can be up to $1,000 fine and 1 year in county jail.  Others classify it as a misdemeanor.