< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SB-2009  (Read 1553 times)

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
SB-2009
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
If you go to Senate.gov and look for SB-2009 you will find nothing. That's because Senate bills do not start with SB. they all start with S. The bill does NOT exists.  It may have at one time but it does not now. The NRA has already talked about this. Visit the NRA web site.
 This damn thing has got to end. It makes us all look bad.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: SB-2009
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
Senate Bills start with "S.B."

Go to the official U.S. Congress library: http://thomas.loc.gov/home/c111query.html and search for the bill S.B. 2099...... You will not find it unless you search the 106th Congress back in 2000 when this bill was introduced. You will see just as the email stated this bill did not move forward.

Here is the H.R. 45 that was introduced... as you can see, there are no supporters, and nothing has moved with this since February.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d111:1:./temp/~bdss57:@@@X|/bss/d111query.html|

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
Please note again in this NRA article that it is refered to as S. 2099.
Senate bills are referred to as S. then the number.
House bills are H.R. then the number.

Here is the article from Senate.gov
http://www.senate.gov/reference/common/faq/SB2099.shtml
It refers to as S.2099 in the 105th congress

Clearing Up the Rumors: The Truth About The ?Gun Tax Bill?

Friday, May 29, 2009

In the last few weeks, NRA-ILA has received hundreds of e-mails warning us about ?SB-2099,? a bill that would supposedly require you to report all your guns on your income tax return every April 15.

Like many rumors, there?s just a grain of truth to this one. Someone?s recycling an old alert, which wasn?t even very accurate when it was new.

There actually was a U.S. Senate bill with that number that would have taxed handguns?nine years ago. It was introduced by anti-gun Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), and it would have included handguns under the National Firearms Act?s tax and registration scheme. This has nothing to do with anyone?s Form 1040, of course.

Fortunately, S. 2099 disappeared without any action by the Senate, back when Bill Clinton was still in the White House. We reported about it back then, just as we report about new anti-gun bills every week. Now, it?s time for gun owners to drop this old distraction and focus on the real threats at hand.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »
I've gotten this email at LEAST 5 different times over several months because people know I like guns. What amazes me about this and other emails of there ilk is that people continually 'fall' for them and then forward them to everyone they know, all without doing the slightest research. If it isn't already obvious that it's completely false or grossly exaggerated it only takes 30 secs to google this crap and find out. My mother-n-law does this CONSTANTLY. I'll dutifully respond with a link or 2 refuting her latest emergency forward about the new super-virus, secret govt plan, etc, and she always seems surprised that it's made-up. Are these the same people that used to buy the Weekly World News to keep up on events? The world is scary enough without needlessly propagating non-sense. The TRUTH about our govt is sensational enough.  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:21:36 AM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »
It seems to me that I always receive these emails from the more "uninvolved" people. People that don't pay attention at all and could care less what is going on most of the time but then start worrying that everything they get in their email is true. People that are involved just blow it off after checking it out.

The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
.....and if you forward it to 10 people you will receive $10,000 from Microsoft per a person I know that says this is real.  Also, you will receive a blessing from the "Virgin of the Platte River Valley, Northeast Division".  Forward it in the next 10 minutes and luck will shine on you......

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
.....and if you forward it to 10 people you will receive $10,000 from Microsoft per a person I know that says this is real.  Also, you will receive a blessing from the "Virgin of the Platte River Valley, Northeast Division".  Forward it in the next 10 minutes and luck will shine on you......

We must have the same friends or family members.
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:45:01 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if these things are thought up by the anti's just to waste our time and make us look bad.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:47:32 PM »
It is a smoke screen to get other guano snuck in while we are focusing on something that has no chance of passing.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.