< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gateway Mall  (Read 3580 times)

Offline terminalvelocity16

• NFOA Full Member
Gateway Mall
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »
Hey all. Just have a concern that may or may not have been addressed already. I was at the gateway mall in Lincoln tonight and realize that they do not have any placards posted on their entrances pertaining to CCW. However the malls "code of conduct" clearly states that no one aside from mall security is permitted to carry weapons on the property.  Correct me if I am wrong but I've been under the impression that unless you have a properly displayed placard at every entrance it's not binding. Any insight apreciated.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Re: Gateway Mall
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »
"Prominently displayed"  are key words.

Also they can still ask you to leave if they see it.  That's their right.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
A code of conduct does not meet the notification requirements stated in the administrative code of the Concealed Handgun act, and frankly I have shopped in Gateway Mall for about 20 years and I have never once laid eyes on that code of conduct so I would have to say that it does not meet the requirement for "conspicuous notice"
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
What they said...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:08:31 AM »
mall security is permitted to carry weapons on the property

Now that's funny considering some of the "sluggos" I've seen there .....

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »

Now that's funny considering some of the "sluggos" I've seen there .....

You just never know where Paul Blart is concealing his firearm. It could be under that fat roll, oh wait that's just a sandwich.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline eshold

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
Carry on!

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »

A code of conduct does not meet the notification requirements stated in the administrative code of the Concealed Handgun act, and frankly I have shopped in Gateway Mall for about 20 years and I have never once laid eyes on that code of conduct so I would have to say that it does not meet the requirement for "conspicuous notice"

That's not what was said in a different post about the code of conduct at south pointe pavilions in a previous post.  On page 1 from NE Bull.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,12777.0.html

Scheels has been getting dissed because of this, so yesterday I talked with the store manager. CC is okay, as long as the weapon is never un-holstered in the store.
 OC is not allowed.
D.R

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
That's not what was said in a different post about the code of conduct at south pointe pavilions in a previous post.  On page 1 from NE Bull.

What's your point?

I am not NE Bull and I have always maintained that a code of conduct does not meet the requirement for conspicuous signage, and I have repeatedly acknowledged that Scheels management has OK'd CCW.

So if we have explicit permission from the Management of Scheels, how does that jive with the code of conduct for the mall?

The NSP administrative code strongly suggests that conspicuous signage should be placed at eye level on every public entrance to a place or premises. I interpret that to mean if I can not see any signage on the door to the store I am entering, then I am not in violation of the rule.

I am not required to roam the halls or the grounds looking for reasons to limit my freedom because conspicuous signage does not require one to search for it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
The NSP administrative code strongly suggests that conspicuous signage should be placed at eye level on every public entrance to a place or premises. I interpret that to mean if I can not see any signage on the door to the store I am entering, then I am not in violation of the rule.

I am not required to roam the halls or the grounds looking for reasons to limit my freedom because conspicuous signage does not require one to search for it
I believe we said the same thing about Oakview Mall in Omaha.  They do not have placards in place but do have a note on the Code of Conduct that is mounted by the bathrooms just in from the western entrance.  I have always been "forced" to enter through the department store entrance as part of my role as Official Spousal Cargo Carrier so  I only know because someone else had seen it there, and I agree that this doesn't seem to fulfill the requirements for notification per the regs.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
What's your point?

I am not NE Bull and I have always maintained that a code of conduct does not meet the requirement for conspicuous signage, and I have repeatedly acknowledged that Scheels management has OK'd CCW.

So if we have explicit permission from the Management of Scheels, how does that jive with the code of conduct for the mall?

Testy aren't we.

What's your point?

First point is CC is exactly that, signage if non existent means I can carry. If asked to leave, I will.

looking for reasons to limit my freedom

The same Constitution that gave you that freedom, gave them the freedom to say Not Here.

So you be getting testy over limits on your rights, but you are more than willing to place limits on their rights under the same rule of law and the Constitution which is so often thrown out there.

Paradox is apparent.

You don't respect my rights, I don't respect yours.
D.R

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
So you be getting testy over limits on your rights, but you are more than willing to place limits on their rights under the same rule of law and the Constitution which is so often thrown out there.

How am I limiting their rights? I just don't think I have to limit mine beyond what the law requires, and the law requires "conspicuous signage"  If they want to keep me out put up a damn sign on the door and I will shop elswhere.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »
I just don't think I have to limit mine beyond what the law requires, and the law requires "conspicuous signage" 

"Alright alright alright .... "  -Matthew McConaughey  :)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
I would say no signs means no restriction against CC.  Kind of a moot point though since no one will know I'm carrying unless I have to defend myself, and if that happens they can claim that I was breaking their code all they want.  I'm curious though about why they'd have that in their code but not post it.  Maybe the code was written a long time ago and those who run the mall now just don't want to drive away customers by posting signs and don't care what the code says and don't want to go to the trouble of changing it.  You don't see a lot of no guns signs in Lincoln, at least compared to other cities.

I have a question for those who lived in Omaha in '07.  After the massacre at Von Maur a local resident told me that Westroads, including Von Maur, had no guns signs up.  But when I went to the mall a few days later I didn't see any signs.  It looks to me like the signs were quietly removed after the shooting, for obvious reasons.  So is it true that there were signs before but not after the shooting?  And were the signs put back up later?  (I don't get to Omaha a lot any more.)
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
I shopped at Westroads before and after the shooting, always used the south Von Maur entrance. Never saw a "no guns" sign posted.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com