< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Your Opinion Please  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Your Opinion Please
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:10:17 AM »
First post!  YEAH!

Now for the meat of the post.  I am considering purchasing a High Point .45ACP pistol, but have no experience with the brand at all.  I have several hand guns and have been active in shooting sports since childhood, but this is a new one on me.  

Anyone care to opine on their opinion of this brand of firearm?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

edit:  Come on guys, its not a joke, I have been reading here for some time and am impressed by the knowledge some of the other users have shown.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:51:46 AM by Ronvandyn »
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Your Opinion Please
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »
There is a thread where the High Points have been discussed: http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=262.0  It was atarted about the 9MM but includes a lot of general High Point info.  Personally I would not trust one as my carry gun, but did have a lot of fun with the one I had, just was not comftorble enough with it to depend on it in a life or death situation.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »
Having seen how well they do not always work in concealed carry classes I teach, I would not trust one for carry either.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
Well darn.  They have great prices, but if they are not going to go bang when I need it to then I think I'll move on to something a bit better. 

I have an XD-40 I was planning on bringing to the CCW class on the 14th of next month, and it has never mis-fed/fired with any ammo I have tried.  I might start looking for an XD-45 then. 

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »
Like the oft repeated saying goes...."You get what you pay for".  You could pay with your life with one of these. 
Problem with your XD-40?  I don't have one, but my thought if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.  My opinion is one should be as familiar with their carry gun as every square inch of their "glorious naked body" (Rush Limbaugh).

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »
Like the oft repeated saying goes...."You get what you pay for".  You could pay with your life with one of these. 
Problem with your XD-40?  I don't have one, but my thought if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.  My opinion is one should be as familiar with their carry gun as every square inch of their "glorious naked body" (Rush Limbaugh).

The original question was about a High Point, great prices but the folks here say that they are not the most dependable weapon.  The XD series of weapons gets high marks in just about ever venue that I have ever visited (and I visited quite a few before I bought one).  Thats the reason that I am now thinking about another, in .45ACP.  There are a few out there that can be found for a good price, as long as one is careful and can avoid someone elses problem.

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
If you buy junk, you will own junk. Some call it snobery, but what is your life worth?
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »
Let the other guy get shot when it fails. ;D  The gang bangor,Hood,and punk! ;D

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:14:11 AM »
XD 40 all the way. I LOVE mine. Never had a problem.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
I do not think that you can go wrong with the XD. I own two in .40 caliber and they always function. I feel that they are very safe to carry with a round chambered, no thumb safety etc. I think that the .45 would be a good choice in an XD too. Plus they hold a good dose of ammo. High Points in my opinion are cheap (price wise ) for a reason. I have had excellent customer service from springfield also (had a slide refinished) . My step son has an High Point in .45 caliber and the mag release is on the end of the grip, something I do not like.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:53:34 PM »
I had a Walther P-38 at one time, and it has the same mag release option.  I found it ... difficult to deal with at times.  On the other hand, it made it pretty easy to get the mag out while the weapon was in the holster.  :)

I am researching the XD-45 now.  Nothing but good things said so far, but this time I think I wont go for the sub compact version.  My XD-40 is a sub, and while that makes it very easy to conceal I have big hands.  The last finger hangs out in the wind if I have the 9rd mag in it.  Fortunately I have 3 additional 12rd mags, just in case.

Ron

KC0MXX

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
Can't go wrong with a Glock!!  Oh!-I guess there are those, what do they call them, XDs.  Just kidding, Glocks and XDs are great pistols for the money and both are proven to perform. Hi-points---you get what you pay for!!

I would NOT trust my life to a Hi-point!!

If you've got the funds for a Hummer, don't by a Volkswagon!!
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
Meh....these newfangled cartridge handguns are just a passing fad.  Skip them all and go with a proven design.

:D

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
You may want to take a look at a CZ97.  CZ's are awesome pistols.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
I dont know much about the CZ's, but I am looking at a few Sig's, the P220 in particular.  Nice, very, and Sigs have a great reputation.

But I most likely will go with the XD, I am already familiar with the design and I know that they work well.  :)

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 08:36:54 PM »
I own a CZ in 9mm and love it.  That said, the 97 has a spotty reputation for reliability with JHPs.
NRA Life Member.