< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Remington ACR on the way?  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Remington ACR on the way?
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
Has anyone seen these: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/ and http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/22/remington-acr/ ?

Looks very cool, basically 'modular' that converts to 3 diff calibers (5.56, 6.8, 6.5) with a barrel & bolt swap.  I am afraid the price will be in the SCAR neighborhood, which is hard to justify when it won't do anything an AR or AK won't....but did I mention it's cool?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Remington ACR on the way?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »
Vaporware is not cool.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »
Come on it will be out any day now....or maybe next week, or the week after but it IS coming. You've gotta believe.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:59:59 PM »
I hear that it's coming out the same day as the new Glock Carbine.

;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
Well it DID debut at SHOT....just a huge disappointment in nearly every way, mostly the $3000MSRP!

http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/

Too bad since the original concept from Magpul was pretty cool and was projected for sub $1500. Obviously Remington/Bushmaster don't subscribe to the 'under-promise/over-deliver' school of marketing.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
Yeah, that's way too much coin for me.  Plus, they are getting sued by Robinson Arms over it: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=309042
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »
Got to hold this and look it over today at the SHOT show. Nice rifle, 2 calibers .223 and 6.8

They say a 7.62x39 will come out next year, and then a .308 later

nice rifle, but too much $$$$$$

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »
You can buy a heck of an AR for what they're asking for this thing.  I don't see the point, unless you're one of those guys who feels the need to have the newest toys.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 11:48:34 PM »
They will drop like a rock when sales fall sharply like the Microtech STG556.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:53:07 PM by SBarry »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:30:22 AM »
The ACR is cool but my vote go's to the MSR (Modular Sniper Rifle).  I am sure is not cheap ether! :o

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/MSR/msr.htm#/intro

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
So far they're saying that 7.62x39 versions will not use AK mags nor will the upper receivers accommodate AR barrels, two of the biggest selling points of the Masada prototype.

Why pay double the price of a quality rifle when the ACR is made of plastic which supposedly lowers costs?

Initial models are supposed to be in the 8-9 pound range with 1/9" twist barrels and a fixed stock.  FAIL.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »
Agreed- it is hard to understand how they (Bushmaster) dropped so many features and added weight and came up with a MSRP 2x Magpul's target......wait,what? Paying more for less isn't a great sales pitch.

I didn't start following this until a few months ago but was getting pretty interested, and for ~$1800 with the promised features, probably would have gotten one. Expectations are everything and this was a huge let down.

As for the price dropping- not sure but I would think it will have to come in under $2k to sell in any numbers.

Offline Sotex

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
I saw/handled one of these today for the first time at the Cabela's in LaVista (they're asking $2300 for the basic in either black or FDE, but avail for ~$2k online, Cabela's rep told me they've only sold 2). It is a nifty rifle- doesn't feel as heavy as it sounds (8lbs) but I have been working with my FAL's lately so may be getting acclimated to heavy. I really did like the feel & ergonomics of it, especially the charging handle. Basically if Bushmaster would replace the silly M4 profile barrel (strictly cosmetic- but really aggravating to me) cut a few ounces, and drop the price 25% I'd look into it pretty seriously. As it is I'm more interested in the Ruger SR-556c. Anyone else got an ACR and want to share their experience & pics?

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
Well Bushmaster shipped some out, all were recalled because they operated full auto, now Bushmaster is closing their operation until Remington finds a place to re-open production with the Bushmaster name.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
Yeah- I've continued to follow the ACR, but not too closely. I did read on arfcom that approx 5000 rifles sold prior to the recall. Also, I have seen that some NIB have gone as low as $1500. IF that price becomes standard and IF caliber conversions & barrel options materialize it can still be a successful & interesting platform. I hope it succeeds.