< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Primer question - please help.  (Read 2243 times)

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Primer question - please help.
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
Made a mistake and purchased some Small Pistol Primers For MAGNUM pistol loads.  Winchester WSPM instead of WSP.

I have a box of 1000.

Question is...

Can I use these in .40 S&W ? ( I currently use standard small pistol primers).

Can use these as a replacement for Small Rifle Primers, specifically .223 Rem ?

Do I need to sell/trade for correct primers?

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Primer question - please help.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:03:03 PM »
Everything that I have read about primers is that the magnum versions will cause a increase in pressure compared to the standard primer due to igniting more of the powder quicker.

If I remember right, pistol primers are softer then rifle primers.  You might get away with it with mild loads, but would be risking perforated primers.  In a semi-auto you might even end up with slam fires which could also make life interesting.

I would recommend selling/trading them to someone that needs them.

John K

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »
I know for sure others have used magnum primers in .40 s&w with no issue. I would expect to start a work up with a slightly lower powder charge.

Typically pistol primers are made with thinner wall thickness and rifle primers are made with thicker wall thickness. A rifle usually has greater firing pin impact and higher pressures. The thicker wall being the primer of choice for rifle.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
Thanks to you both.

I am not desperate to use them so I think I will try to trade at the next gun show.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
sfg has had experience with this issue.  Can't find the thread at the moment but they are usable with a little caution.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
My dad made the same mistake with some CCI's he even loaded seated a batch of 40sw. He decided to load them but started way low and worked up to a low mid range. Never showed any pressure signs and didn't go kaboom. I would trade them if you can get what you need.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
sfg has had experience with this issue.  Can't find the thread at the moment but they are usable with a little caution.

Yes....  And I don't remember where and when we discussed that issue, either.

Here's a Good Google Search to employ in making your decision:  substitute magnum primers for standard   
Quite a bit of discussion of this topic to be found.

During the recent reloading component shortage, I've known experienced reloaders who substituted magnums for small pistol primers in their reloading processes.  Those Few Folks always used the lowest published powder grain loads in the handloading book when they substituted the magnum primers.

I watched some shooting from these reloads.  From what I saw as the outcome, there was no discernible evidence of high pressure.  No cratered primers, no flattened primers, no hard recoil, no Big Boom......nuthin'.   And not very much (1-2%) increase in chronographed velocity.  So--From what I've seen, you can't tell much--if any--difference.

My understanding is that magnum primers are used to ignite hard-to-start powders.

Me....I very carefully follow the published reloading books.   (And still manage to blow up .40XDMs.)

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
 If your ever near Omaha id trade you standard for the mag primers
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 06:01:23 AM »
During the recent reloading component shortage, I've known experienced reloaders who substituted magnums for small pistol primers in their reloading processes.  Those Few Folks always used the lowest published powder grain loads in the handloading book when they substituted the magnum primers.

I watched some shooting from these reloads.  From what I saw as the outcome, there was no discernible evidence of high pressure.  No cratered primers, no flattened primers, no hard recoil, no Big Boom......nuthin'.   And not very much (1-2%) increase in chronographed velocity.  So--From what I've seen, you can't tell much--if any--difference.

Yep---I used magnum primers in my 9mm reloads for a couple-of-thousand worth of ammo. Dropped the powder charge a bit, chronoed, brought the powder charge back up, chronoed...

...found no effective difference when I did so.  Note, however:  I'm using this in 9mm at medium velocities, so I'm not reloading a high-pressure round in the first place, like .40. 

Next time, if I need to use magnum primers again, AND am still using the same powder/reload recipe, I'll won't even change things at all.  (If I change powders, I'll check it again, but don't expect issues.)

...but like I said, that was 9mm, not .40.  Don't really expect much difference with .40, but I would back the charge down to check it out first.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »
Yes....  And I don't remember where and when we discussed that issue, either.

I thought it had been discussed before but I couldn't find the thread.

Thanks for the info.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 07:22:13 AM »
If your ever near Omaha id trade you standard for the mag primers

That sounds good.  I'll try to PM you when I know when I will be in Omaha and mybe we can meet up somewhere.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
When I was reloading 9mm I bought some magnum primers by accident as well.  Being cheep, I decided to research how I could use them.  All of the sources recommended started with powder loads 10% lower than normal and working up.   I was using HP-38 powder.  At 3.9 gr my Beretta Nano wouldn't cycle reliably.  As I worked up 4.2 grs caused flattened primers.   It was tricky working with 0.3gr difference with a balance and powder feed as mediocre as that which came with my Lee Anniversary single stage reloader. I sold the magnum primers I had left and decided that buying commercial for self-defense and reloading for practice just wasn't practical for me.

A .40 cal case is bigger and with a different powder you may have more wiggle room than I had.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Find someone who is willing to trade you 1:1.  I did so with someone a year ago or so, but can't do so at the moment.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D