< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LEST WE FORGET!  (Read 465 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
LEST WE FORGET!
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
Today is..........

Pearl Harbor Day.

A Day Which Will Live in Infamy.

I actually remember Pearl Harbor Day.  The Very Original Pearl Harbor Day, that is.

Couldn't figure out why all the Family Grownups were in such a dither around the big Atwater Kent.  (That's a radio, folks.   With tubes.   From kid level you could look into the back and see them glow.)

Went to kindergarten the next day, a Monday.   All the teachers were gathered around another radio.  I busted in with the Big News:  "The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor!"   About ten of the teachers all turned around at once and hollered, "Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!".  Fingers to lips, all that.

One of my first lessons not to shoot off at the mouth.

December 7, 1941

The Day the Whole World Changed.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
Re: LEST WE FORGET!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
Yes sir.  I realized what day it was when I went to bed. 

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »
Some years back, my wife and I visited Pearl Harbor & memorial site on our 25th anniversary (Dec 1)....very sombering and humbling to say the least.  Such a beautiful and peacefull place that it is hard to imagine the devestation that ocurred.  When we were there, I was somewhat taken aback by the number of Japanese tourists visiting the memorial....outnumbering us "natives". 

22 Nebraskans were lost on the USS Arizona that day.
http://journalstar.com/news/local/nebraskans-remain-entombed-on-uss-arizona-wreckage/article_4467dddf-e26c-5480-bfe9-0ae11b63ddd8.html

http://journalstar.com/news/local/lincoln-newspapers-shocked-by-pearl-harbor-attack/article_1a3caa21-bd47-558c-ba2b-32a29097a5ac.html

A Day Which Will Live in Infamy.

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
We were doing a thorough house cleaning today, and while organizing the CD/DVD cabinet I found a 2 part Pearl Harbor documentary. So.... I hope my son accidentally learned some things while it play out while we cleaned.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane