< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Member here with ENGC questions  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Airborne

• NFOA Full Member
New Member here with ENGC questions
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:20:27 AM »
Hello!

I discovered this forum while researching the ENGC located in Louisville.
I like what I see and am excited to get acquainted with this forum, the members and NE firearm legislature.

I am looking for a place to train and begin numerous forms of competition shooting for the first time. After living in southern states and being in the military where finding a place to shoot is a 15 min drive in any direction, I am struggling here in Omaha. I am currently in the market for rural property to establish a home-shooting  range and am willing to relocate to an area that has suitable accommodations for a competition shooting lifestyle (perhaps engc.)

Other than youtube videos I know nothing about any type of competition shooting events except that I need to have a part in the action.

Are there any ENGC members and competition shooters here?

Is this club suitable for an all -yearlong competitive shooting lifestyle?

What can you share about this club that the engc website and youtube videos of local stages do not?

I appreciate any feedback regarding thus post and am interested in anything and everything from general plinking to cowboy action to long distance rife.

Thanks
Firearms are ingenious,  important and beautiful.  I just like em . . All of em.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: New Member here with ENGC questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:46:41 AM »
Welcome :D

There are quite a few of us that belong to ENGC and shoot competitions.  As you probably surmised from the web site, ENGC has a large number of disciplines that compete regularly, some more often than others.
http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/index.html is one that runs most of the action pistol and multigun matches.  Don't have to be a member to shoot matches but membership is an outstanding bargain.
You can always stop and eyeball a match first if you want.  But I warn you, you will  regret not bringing a weapon and joining the fun.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
I am looking for a place to train and begin numerous forms of competition shooting for the first time.

Other than youtube videos I know nothing about any type of competition shooting events except that I need to have a part in the action.

Are there any ENGC members and competition shooters here?

Is this club suitable for an all -yearlong competitive shooting lifestyle?

What can you share about this club that the engc website and youtube videos of local stages do not?

ENGC holds competitions in the following disciplines:
  • USPSA
  • Steel Challenge
  • Multigun
  • Cowboy Action
  • HP Silhouette/Lever Action
  • F-Class Rifle
  • High Power Rifle/CMP
  • Mid-Range Rifle
  • Swiss Pistol/Rifle
  • Trap
  • Rimfire Sporter rifle
  • Rimfire/Centerfire bullseye pistol
  • Vintage Military rifle

Schedule of matches here:
http://engc.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2015-ENGC-Range-Schedule-v1.pdf

What sort of competition shooting are you interested in?  When you say "all -yearlong competitive shooting lifestyle" I'm not sure what that means to you, so it makes it hard to offer suggestions.

There are certainly various competitions all year.  Unless, however, you are a millioniare with unlimited free time, it is unlikely that you will be able to participate in all types of competitions.  In addition, to actually be good at any particular type you will have to practice significant amounts, which is why most people specialize in a particular (much smaller) set of specific competitive sports.

Now, some people just like shooting, socializing, and having fun, so they try a little bit of everything (if they have the gear for it) and there is nothing wrong with that at all.  However, since you said you wanted to have a "competitive shooting lifestyle" that generally means you want to get really good at it.

ENGC is a really good club, not only for competition opportunities, but also simply for the ability to go out and practice.  Multiple ranges, multiple bays---some really good practice can be done for many different types of shooting.  There are other gun clubs around, too, though ENGC is the only one in the Omaha area to offer USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Multigun at the moment.

The question really is---what types of competition are you primarily interested in, and what firearms experience do you currently have?  (Also what equipment, too---for example, shooting Swiss Rifle doesn't work unless you have a Swiss Rifle, and Multigun is a no-go unless you have a suitable rifle, shotgun, and pistol.)

As abbafandr said, you can get more information about the USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Multigun matches from the ENPS page at http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/index.html and several other disciplines also have their own websites---if you start at the ENGC page at http://engc.us and go to "disciplines" the descriptions often include links to more information.

The next USPSA match at ENGC is set for January 4th, and the next Steel Challenge match is January 18th.  Non-members are welcome to come observe or shoot the various matches, depending on their interests and skill level.   (USPSA requires a higher skill level to safely participate.)

What sorts of competition are you interested in?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Airborne

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »

What sorts of competition are you interested in?
[/quote]

From what I have seen and read, I am most interesred in idpa, uspsa, multigun, steel challenge and cowboy  action.

What other outdoor clubs do you know of around omaha?

Anyway, thanks for the response.

I dont plan on doing all or all at once I simply want to stay busy training and competing all year.
Firearms are ingenious,  important and beautiful.  I just like em . . All of em.

Offline Airborne

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:33:12 AM »
Welcome :D

There are quite a few of us that belong to ENGC and shoot competitions.  As you probably surmised from the web site, ENGC has a large number of disciplines that compete regularly, some more often than others.
http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/index.html is one that runs most of the action pistol and multigun matches.  Don't have to be a member to shoot matches but membership is an outstanding bargain.
You can always stop and eyeball a match first if you want.  But I warn you, you will  regret not bringing a weapon and joining the fun.

Thanks, ill have to come and watch one then, and bring a gun or two.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
From what I have seen and read, I am most interesred in idpa, uspsa, multigun, steel challenge and cowboy  action.

What other outdoor clubs do you know of around omaha?

ENGC, Weeping Water, Council Bluffs club, Thunder Alley and Big Shots (both in Lincoln), Lincoln Ikes, Ankeny Ikes (Iowa), Heartland (Grand Island)...

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that have some form of action shooting.  (Only some of which are official, though.)

USPSA, Steel Challenge, Multigun, and Cowboy Action are all offered at ENGC.  For IDPA, check out the IDPA Nebraska website at:  http://www.idpanebraska.com/

Offline sar4937

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
Vintage Military Rifle/ Rimfire & Centerfire bullseye pistol/ and Rimfire Sporter Rifle Has been discontinued at ENGC.  There may be events added to replace these in the future.
ENGC Trap

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
Vintage Military Rifle/ Rimfire & Centerfire bullseye pistol/ and Rimfire Sporter Rifle Has been discontinued at ENGC.  There may be events added to replace these in the future.
What?! Are they filling the dates with more popular shooting events? I wish a range near Lincoln would see the possibilities soon. I know they have members pushing for it.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
What?! Are they filling the dates with more popular shooting events? I wish a range near Lincoln would see the possibilities soon. I know they have members pushing for it.

A little clarification:  It wasn't that the ENGC Board canceled the events, or that they wanted them discontinued.  The problem was that no one stepped up to be match director, and without that, the matches can't be held.

If an ENGC member wants to step up and run the matches, I'm sure the ENGC Board would be HAPPY to put the matches back on the schedule.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »
A little clarification:  It wasn't that the ENGC Board canceled the events, or that they wanted them discontinued.  The problem was that no one stepped up to be match director, and without that, the matches can't be held.

If an ENGC member wants to step up and run the matches, I'm sure the ENGC Board would be HAPPY to put the matches back on the schedule.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe you were going to try and slip in some more MG events.

I am really looking forward to trying some events this coming year. Now I just need to make sure that the wife knows I'm going!

I did a little Google map and from my house in NW Lincoln ENEC is the same distance as Izaak. Not sure about actual time but interesting to see.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 05:37:24 AM »

Running a match is kinda like herding cats  ;)