< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Internet service  (Read 1350 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Internet service
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:10:07 PM »
anyone have good lead on CHEAP internet service, I have windstream now, it really sucks, just did a speed test, down load at .02 per second. im supposed to get 3 meg. and I get 0.02 %  I been complaining about a year. so time to go somewhere else, I cant do the cell tower type, I live in a slight valley and cell phones don't work good here
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Re: Internet service
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
We in the rural areas, away from cable and etc have been bypassed by the tech age.

I recently changed to satellite through Hughes.  It is limited but for a bout $50.00 a month I get pretty fast internet but only 10GB worth a month.  Over that and I have to pay more or get throttled back to dsl speeds.

I have DirecTV and I bundled which got me a nice discount on my direcTV bill and an upgraded box. 

Over all I am paying less now for TV and Internet than I was before with better service.

Drawback to Satellite Internet is it isn't quite as dependable as Satellite TV as it has to not only download but upload.  But it is a lot better than what I had for sure. Satellite internet also has a latency issue, as in it takes awhile to go up to the satellite, back down to (in my case, Nevada) go out to the sites, back to Nevada, back to the satellite etc.  You get the point.

I can watch youtube and streaming videos I just have to be careful of my usage.

It can run anywhere from 1 mb to 3 mb download depending on where  I am pinging and weather conditions.

Right now to Los Angeles ...

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
Re: Internet service
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:10 PM »
I'm having good luck with this service.  http://ais-ne.com/index.php/internet-service  I'm paying $49.99/month, but the service is always good.  Download speeds typically run >5.0 Mb/s.  Upload speeds are about .75 Mb/s.  They don't limit your data usage.  If you're in their service area, you might check them out.

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason