< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Requirements for Shipment of a Firearm  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Requirements for Shipment of a Firearm
« on: October 15, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »
Hi folks!

I am considering buying a weapon from gunbroker.com, and of course none of the sellers selling what I want are in the state.  So, while I know that we need to have it shipped to an FFL here in Nebraska, there seems to be some question about if the sender needs to be an FFL as well.  I looked for an answer in the state statutes and of course was not able to find anthing.

SO, knowing that the folks here are far and away more knowledgeable about such things than I, maybe someone could enlighten me.  The last time I had a weapon shipped was way back in the early 80's, and of course the laws shange on a weekly basis (or so it sometimes see's).   ;D

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Requirements for Shipment of a Firearm
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
It is not a law that the shipper be an FFL. 
Some "receiving" FFL's require that the shipper also be an FFL, some do not.  Ask your FFL what his policy is.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
+1 farmerrick, and ron enjoy the purchase again all new purchase'r must and I do mean must!!! Give a picture and range report of latest family member...LOL.....

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
Handguns may be shipped by an individual, but must be shipped overnight by UPS of Fedex. Long guns may be shipped by an individual through USPS, UPS or Fedex.

Dealers can mail a handgun through USPS.

Some dealers require that an FFL send any gun, that is because they don't know the rules. There is no state or federal law requiring that a gun be shipped by a dealer, it is the practice of the carrier for a handgun only. Not every gun dealer is a genious. 

UPS's policy came about because their employees were stealing the handguns, not a federal requirement. So because they employee thieves, the public has to pay for it.

If a USPS clerk tells you you can't ship a long gun, ask to speak to the postmaster, because that employee does not know their policy, seen it many times. If they give an anti-gun opinion, file a complaint with the postmaster. It is against their policy to spew anti-gun propaganda.

My mother is a post master.

I have a dealer friend of mine mail handguns, much cheaper than overnight by UPS. I mail every long gun that I sell over the internet. If the gun is shipped within the state, no FFL is required. 
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.