< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: "What Gun Should I Buy?"  (Read 5313 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
"What Gun Should I Buy?"
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
Recently, I've seen a number of people on various Facebook pages asking "What Gun Should I Get..." types of questions.

In the vast majority of cases, well-meaning but clueless people immediately pipe up with answers specifying EXACTLY what gun they should get.  (Which is pretty amazing, since they don't normally bother to start by asking WHY someone wants a gun.)

Also in a majority of those cases, either 1) the person asking already knows what gun they are going to buy, and simply wants validation of their (often poor) choice, or 2) the person takes random advice from people who don't know anything about them or their situation, and buys a gun that they don't understand and won't ever actually shoot more than once (which is probably good, considering the number of people who suggest really poor-quality firearms).

So I wrote about how that feels from my perspective.  (And I'm sure that a lot of you feel the same way.)

http://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/what-gun/

I note:  I am perfectly happy to talk guns and give advice and suggestions, IF the person asking is actually serious about trying to find a gun for a purpose that involves actually shooting said gun.  People should feel free to ask for help, in that case!

That does bring up the question:  So, if someone does ask a version of the "what gun should I buy" question, what information do we need to ask of them so that we can give them a good answer?

What do we need to know, first, before we make any suggestions?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Re: "What Gun Should I Buy?"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:06 AM »
Excellent article! I am amazed at the casual facebookers who ask these questions daily & sometimes hourly on a few of the popular local gun pages.

I am sure that you also want to grow your hair out just to pull it out when you see this question....."where can I get my ccw cheap?".....followed by at least 3 instructors with a combined experience of 12 months racing each other to offer the class for less than $100!  Wow that never gets old
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:34:52 AM »
We need to know what, if any, previous experience they have. 

How much do they intend to train and practice with the gun? 

Do they have the strength to rack the slide?  Do they have the strength to pull a DA revo trigger?

What do they think they are most comfortable with, semi or revo, from previous experience, if any?

What is their budget?

What is their intended use for the handgun?  SD?  Plinkin'?  Competition?  Carry?

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
When I was in the gun selling biz, I didn't recommend brands and tried to get them to hold several types of handguns to see what fit their hands the best. Most appreciated that and usually didn't chose the one their "friend" recommended.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
 the first and most important question they should ask, would be to there wife, CAN I BUY A GUN!  I am on several face book pages and cannot believe how many people are selling guns that are only 2 months old, Ive asked a few, mostly its, the wife got pissed! 
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
The one that cracks me up are on some of the FB for sale groups that people post  "$250 cash looking for a first 9mm." No other details most of the times I question if it is a scam....

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:00:35 AM »
As someone who is fairly new to the buying scene and has had to make the decisions about why I want one I want to thank you for "putting on paper" the process we, the noobies, should go through when choosing a gun.  I am currently starting to look for a full size gun for potential competition and this is a great primer for me to us in narrowing the field.

Thanks to all in the thread that have clarified that process. It is greatly appreciated.

That being said... what gun should I buy? 

Just kidding.  ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
That being said... what gun should I buy? 

Taurus Judge.

/thread.

:P

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
I am sure that you also want to grow your hair out just to pull it out when you see this question....."where can I get my ccw cheap?".....followed by at least 3 instructors with a combined experience of 12 months racing each other to offer the class for less than $100!  Wow that never gets old

No kidding.  Particularly when I see that one of them talks about their class starting at 2pm and being finished by 5pm.

If I was a professional auctioneer I couldn't cover the required material in that amount of time, much less including the range time!

I have this schizophrenic attitude towards the required NE CCW class, really.

On the one hand, I'm not thrilled that people need to jump through hoops and spend lots of money so that they are "allowed" by the state to carry tools for effective self-defense.  Plus, much of the material taught in the class should already be KNOWN prior to anyone carrying.  The legislatively-mandated curriculum seems to want CCW instructors to first teach the NRA Basic pistol course, then teach a Handgun Skills Course, follow that up with a Legal Issues course, and then have a range qualification. 

Plus some extras. 

That's incredibly stupid.  People have to come to the class with an appropriate handgun and gear, and be able to use it---yet the class is supposed to teach people 1) appropriate handgun and gear choices, and 2) safety and technique with said firearm.  Either we should be teaching it to them, OR they should know it in the first place.  Pick one!

...and yet, at the same time, since there is a mandated curriculum, I want to make sure that if my students have to sit through it, I want to do a good job of giving them good information.  And so, to my mind there is a certain minimum amount of time this class is going to take, because if the instructor is going to do their job teaching the mandated curriculum, it WILL take awhile to cover everything in a useful fashion.

So hearing about people's 3-hour classes, taught by folks who don't demonstrate good safety habits (example: everyone remember Great Plains Firearms Training's picture we saw awhile back with students pointing real guns at the backs of each other's heads?), who can't really shoot themselves (hint:  if your grip looks like any of these, your stance looks like any of these, and you can't define the difference between a bowling draw and a fishing draw...), giving poor advice about gun selection and carry habits (condition three?  NO.)---and worst of all, comes from people who don't understand effective teaching (which is based on the level of student understanding)....

...yeah, that annoys me.  Greatly.

[sigh]

Of course that gets followed up by students saying how great the class was, and how much they loved it, and how much they learned---because they don't have anything to compare it to, and have no idea what a good class is like.

Hm.  Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves.  You may have noticed.  :)

the first and most important question they should ask, would be to there wife, CAN I BUY A GUN!  I am on several face book pages and cannot believe how many people are selling guns that are only 2 months old, Ive asked a few, mostly its, the wife got pissed! 

:)

I have the opposite problem---whenever I want to buy a gun, my wife is fine with it as long as she ALSO gets a new gun.  And her gun tastes are more expensive than mine, most of the time!  :(  (She also keeps picking calibers that I don't shoot.  At least now she is reloading her own ammo for her Open gun...)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Well I decided long ago to get the little lady a 5 shot revolver as its reliable and she'll be able to handle it in a panic.   If you can't kill'em with 5, you shouldn't be shooting, eh?   This I feel is really true because she only gets out to the range every couple of years.  She likes pink so that's what we settled on.  Fits in her purse nice and all that and she can load it from empty pretty quick if someone came into our house. 
Our first range trip I let give it a go with my "Colt 45".  Figured good enough for grand daddy against "The Hun", good enough man stopper for us.  She didn't like the "kick". 

P.S. I still think "Rex Sport" is a fake name .....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
Dear Lord:

Please give me the wisdom, strength, and fortitude to stay entirely out of this here mess.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
Dear Lord:
Please give me the wisdom, strength, and fortitude to stay entirely out of this here mess.

You know you want to comment!  Do it!  DO IT!  :)

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
Dear Lord:

sfg
You know you want to comment!  Do it!  DO IT!  :)

Please standby for endorsement of the .357Sig.... 3...2...1.... :P

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:03:30 PM »
Dear Lord:

sfg

But you did respond when I recently posted "What Gun Should I Buy".......appreciated the response...

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
People have to come to the class with an appropriate handgun and gear, and be able to use it

Most people realize a desire and the right to own that desire. Unfortunately the rest of the knowledge is often neglected and sorely missed when needed.
As enthusiasts, many of us persue the knowledge. It escapes use that possibly the greater majority are not as interested.
As pointed out, there is a need for knowledge, but forcing knowledge takes away the right.
It is one thing to use firearms for hunting and recreation. When related to self-defense, there is much more at stake and many people only realize the desire and neglect knowledge that will aid their own defense and what to expect in the aftermath of their action.  Quite possible one of the most important decisions a person can make in their life, yet treated with minor regard since it suits a desire and is provide by right.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
But you did respond.....

Well, if you've ever had a weak moment, you'll understand...........

Aw, Heck....Just go buy a Springfield .40XDM and...

Actually, get Two (2) of them:   A Little Bitty Shorty One for CCW and the Big Loooooong One for (a) IDPA, (b) USPSA, and (c) Blowing Up at the Range.

Problem Solved.   Those are all the handguns you'll ever, ever neeeeeeeeeed!

[Don't listen to These Other Guys!!!
]

sfg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:11:37 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
I swear I'm going to pistol whip the next gun store employee I hear recommending an Airweight J-frame for a woman's first handgun.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
I swear I'm going to pistol whip the next gun store employee I hear recommending an Airweight J-frame for a woman's first handgun.

OK..........Just don't use a............J-Frame.

sfg

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »
OK..........Just don't use a............J-Frame.

sfg

Nah...that's why I carry a CZ.  Commie-designed steel framed handguns make great blunt weapons.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »

Weirdly enough, one of the things a Hi-Point really IS good for!