< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Questions on IDPA  (Read 1399 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Questions on IDPA
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »

Since I want to shoot more competitively this year I thought I would kick things off with the indoor IDPA match on the 10th. But like the other threads I have some questions.

First is on a cover garment. I know a vest is preferred but will anything that covers the weapon allowable?

Next has to do with divisions. My dad shoots a Glock 31C. What division does he shoot in? If I am understanding the rule book he can not shoot his compensated barrel. In order for him to shoot SSP he would need a standard barrel in 357sig.... he could choose to run his 9mm barrel and shoot in the ESP.

I think that's it for now...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Questions on IDPA
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »
Since I want to shoot more competitively this year I thought I would kick things off with the indoor IDPA match on the 10th. But like the other threads I have some questions.
Aldo and bullit are the guys who can give you definitive answers (as they run and SO the local IDPA matches).  Until they get here....

First is on a cover garment. I know a vest is preferred but will anything that covers the weapon allowable?
Concealment rule states:
8.9.1. Legal concealment garments hide the holster, firearm, ammunition carriers, and loading devices from view.
8.9.2. The concealment garment test is for the competitor to stand with their arms straight out to the side, parallel to the ground. If the standing SO cannot see the previously listed equipment from the front, sides, or rear, then the concealment garment is legal.

There are a couple of limitations on what you can DO to the concealment garment:
8.9.3. Concealment garments may not be modified with plastic zip ties, wire, metal, Styrofoam, cardboard, or any similar material that would stiffen the garment or pockets. Patches may not be placed on concealment garment pockets used during a string of fire. Standard laundry starch is acceptable.
8.9.4. Weights may not be attached to concealment garments, but items may be placed in pockets. Pocket flaps may be inserted into pockets.
8.9.5 Specially made pockets for magazine stowage after a reload may not be used.

...so as long as it covers everything and passes the concealment test in 8.9.2, you are good to go.

Next has to do with divisions. My dad shoots a Glock 31C. What division does he shoot in? If I am understanding the rule book he can not shoot his compensated barrel.
Correct.

In order for him to shoot SSP he would need a standard barrel in 357sig....
Yes, but.....the rule says "Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber."  The factory configuration for a G31 isn't the same as factory configuration for a 31C (which has a different slide in addition to a different barrel configuration).  So---I'm not sure.

I don't see this being any particular advantage (lightening the slide on a .357SIG isn't really a helpful thing to do), but I don't know how strict IDPA would get on that one.  You'd think that it would be fine (because in the excluded modifications section it ONLY talks about changing caliber), and I would especially assume that on a local level it would be allowed---but you probably want Aldo to respond officially to check.  (You can always send him an email from the IDPA Nebraska website.)

he could choose to run his 9mm barrel and shoot in the ESP.
I'm thinking that actually using a standard .357SIG barrel (non-compensated) in his 31C and running it in ESP is actually the best legal choice.  The ESP division rules actually even specifically say:

8.2.2.1.5. Firearms originally sold as compensated models may be used in ESP with non-compensated barrels installed.

It also says, in the "allowed modifications" section:
8.2.2.2.9. Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration in a stock or non-stock caliber.

...but again we see that "factory configuration" part.  And considering that the earlier rule specifically allowed non-comped barrels in original caliber....

....I think you'd better get an official ruling from Aldo before you make any particular choices.  :)

I think that's it for now...
Bear in mind that the Jan 10th match is a BUG match, which makes it very different from a standard IDPA match.  Match signup is online already at http://www.idpamatchsignup.com/osm_match_signup_main.aspx but Aldo hasn't made any sort of informational announcement about it yet.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:33:24 AM »
Bear in mind that the Jan 10th match is a BUG match,

If so.... you know more than I ..... Aldo and I are like a couple married 30 years ... we don't talk much anymore until we HAVE to ...  :)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »
Are the rules/divisions for a BUG match different?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »
8.2.6. Back Up gun (BUG)
8.2.6.1. Clubs may hold BUG matches where BUG guns compete in specially designed CoFs. BUG
matches are club level only unless approved by IDPA Headquarters as a Specialty Match. To allow
semi-automatic and revolver shooters to compete equally, all CoFs for BUG matches will be limited to
five rounds per string, and firearms will start with five rounds maximum per string. No reloads may be
performed on the clock.
8.2.6.2. A BUG match could consist of one or several stages, perhaps held at the same time as a normal
club level match. A BUG stage could consist of a regular stage with a modified CoF procedure that
complies with the five rounds per string limit.
8.2.6.2.1. Handguns permitted for use in BUG matches must:
8.2.6.2.1.1. Be single action, double action, double action only, or striker fired.
8.2.6.2.1.2. Be either semi-automatic or revolver.
8.2.6.2.1.3. Be a center fire caliber
8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:
8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.
8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.
8.2.6.3. BUG Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
8.2.6.3.1. All BUGs- 38 -
8.2.6.3.1.1. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
8.2.6.3.1.2. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.
8.2.6.3.1.3. Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are legal if they comply with all
other division rules and the laser is not activated.
8.2.6.3.2. Revolvers:
8.2.6.3.2.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
8.2.6.3.2.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.2.3. Grip tape, skateboard tape, etc. may be used.
8.2.6.3.2.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
8.2.6.3.2.5. Bob hammer spur.
8.2.6.3.2.6. Chamfer cylinder.
8.2.6.3.2.7. Custom finishes.
8.2.6.3.3. Semi-Automatics:
8.2.6.3.3.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
8.2.6.3.3.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.3.3. Slip-on grip sock and/or grip tape, skateboard tape, etc.
8.2.6.3.3.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
8.2.6.3.3.5. Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection.
8.2.6.3.3.6. Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory
configuration.
8.2.6.3.3.7. Cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted.
8.2.6.3.3.8. Custom finishes.
8.2.6.4. BUG Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
Refer to Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL Divisions

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
Thanks bullit. Looks like my normal pistol will meet those requirements.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »
If so.... you know more than I ..... Aldo and I are like a couple married 30 years ... we don't talk much anymore until we HAVE to ...  :)

:)  Nice.

The match signup page says:
"This match is an IDPA Nebraska Indoor "BUG" Match to be held at Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range in Lincoln, NE. $10 for non-members of Thunder Alley; $5 for members. More details to follow. "

....just waiting for "more details." 

In general, the main thing about BUG-legal guns is this:
8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:
8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.
8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.

I'm hoping someone shows up with a S&W Mod 629.   ;D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »
Of course we are all STILL waiting on that Paison to post the scores from the "Heather Tribute" match .....  probably next year ....  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:13:07 AM by bullit »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
Of course we are all STILL waiting on that Paison to post the scores from the "Heather Tribute" match .....  probably next year ....  :D

BOTH of those matches....

:)

(Practiscore for real-time scoring, and immediate posting, just sayin'....)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
I was wondering if we were going to see match results, usually they go out pretty quick. It's been long enough I figured we wouldn't be seeing the final scores since the matches were just for fun.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
Results are now posted for the two IDPA Nebraska "Tribute to Heather" matches; posted here in the NFOA forum as well as on the IDPA Nebraska FaceBook site www.facebook.com/idpanebraska, the IDPA Nebraska website www.idpanebraska.com, and the Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range FaceBook site https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thunder-Alley-Indoor-Shooting-Range/114299578639210.

These two matches are formal IDPA matches, and thus they are also posted on the IDPA website http://www.idpa.com/ for those shooters who are registered IDPA members.

Sorry for the delay. 2 days after the first match, I had lower back surgery, and then yesterday I had an inner ear surgery....yada, yada, yada. And yes, I know...Practiscore is the wonderdrug of scoring/posting, but IDPA Nebraska will be sticking with UberScoreMaster and paper score sheets as a check-and-balance for the time being.

And, yes, there is an IDPA Nebraska Indoor BUG Match scheduled for January 10, 2015 at Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range.  The formal announcement will be posted soon on the NFOA Forum as well as on the other aforementioned sites.  But first, I need to flush out my ear....  ;D
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
It also says, in the "allowed modifications" section:
8.2.2.2.9. Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration in a stock or non-stock caliber.

...but again we see that "factory configuration" part.  And considering that the earlier rule specifically allowed non-comped barrels in original caliber....

....I think you'd better get an official ruling from Aldo before you make any particular choices.  :)

That rule is why i thought he could run his LW 9mm barrel. As of right now I do not see him joining IDPA so I do not see him buying another barrel... he already has a 9mm and 40sw. But if he wants to shoot more he might have to buy another barrel. I will send Aldo a email asking him.

But  it looks like I am going to be sitting the January match out.... I am a lone pistol owner and it has a 4" barrel. Looks like January will be another practice month for me. Maybe I will hit up RockNThunder this month.

Thanks for the input everyone.