< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: " I carry a gun every day"  (Read 933 times)

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:08:00 AM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline karl

• NFOA Full Member
Re: " I carry a gun every day"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
Good article.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:45:34 PM »
I like point 10 in the article especially.

The more you know the more you realize you don't know.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »
Sadly, there were tow other articles in the Gazette that were quite anti-gun.

http://thegazette.com/subject/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/problems-can-be-solved-without-guns-20150105

http://thegazette.com/subject/opinion/blogs/lynda-waddington/why-your-gun-makes-me-nervous-20150110

However, both seemed to be based not on a bias against guns but against gun violence. Ok, the first was both. But both do not seem to understand that the gun I carry is there BECAUSE there are people in this world who are determined to hurt others without cause.  I carry because me and mine just want to be left alone to live our lives and not harm anyone else.  Why have we been painted with a broad brush in the color of "gun nut"? 
Aren't we the same people who would long ago stop and help some one on the side of the road because they needed help?
Aren't we the same people who are willing to lend a hand to a neighbor?

But carrying a gun to protect my family from those who would rather use force to take what is not theirs marks me as a pariah and a danger to others.

Remember when the police were respected and people sat on their porches and chatted with the neighbors instead of holing up inside with the TV?

Sorry, the first article you posted was a great article and the second two I posted just got under my skin.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
But carrying a gun to protect my family from those who would rather use force to take what is not theirs marks me as a pariah and a danger to others.

To me: you are someone that doesn't expect some other innocents to protect you from the predators that society is unable to eliminate. To think that some social entity will somehow be there to prevent your encounter with human pedators is a dream. The social entity (law enforcement) is not obligated to provide your safety.  Much as society wants to take control of your protection it has proved that it can not. It is social responsibility to protect yourself and send the message to pedators that they will suffer at their attempts.
People need to realize that the "Right to life" is not guaranteed by other people and is individual responsibility.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:41:37 PM by SS_N_NE »

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »
Maybe it's just me but it seems like a lot of our woes in society today can boil down to an extreme lack of personal responsibility.  If you commit a crime you do the time, not yell, "But my parents abused me as a child."
Most of us had a rough time in their life but we pulled up our britches and got on with life.  I except the responsibility for protecting my family and do what I can to be ready to protect and provide for them.

Something is missing from what our kiddos have been learning these days.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan