< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone to convert an AK?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
Anyone to convert an AK?
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
Short story long, I recently purchased a Catamount Fury II AK pattern 12 gauge shotgun.  I'm looking to have it converted to pistol grip, is there anyone around here that is able to do that?  I haven't convinced myself yet that I am capable of doing it. 

I've never had any work done on a firearm before, so I'm really not at all familiar with who does what, who's good, etc etc. Thanks!

EDIT: I suppose where I'm at would be nice to know...I'm north of Omaha a bit, so somewhere in the Omaha/Lincoln region.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:24:07 PM by Workman »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Anyone to convert an AK?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:22:32 PM »
Honestly, around here you'll probably have a hard time finding a gunsmith familiar with it.  Assuming they're similar to a Saiga you should be able to find instructions on Youtube or other interweb sites.  From the little I've seen it's not too hard.  If you can change your own oil I bet you can do it.

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
Honestly, around here you'll probably have a hard time finding a gunsmith familiar with it.  Assuming they're similar to a Saiga you should be able to find instructions on Youtube or other interweb sites.  From the little I've seen it's not too hard.  If you can change your own oil I bet you can do it.

Is it that easy?  Maybe I will have to look into it more.  I was under the impression things like welding were involved... which is fine,  but I'm used to welding on trucks, not guns.  Heh.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 11:15:23 PM »

[Warning]This is coming from a man that turned his own silencer on a lathe.[/Warning]

bkoenig has da skills that some of us lesser men don't have.  Just say'n.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:59:52 AM »
I took a look at the weapon on YouTube. It uses a common AK type stamped sheet metal receiver and riveted trunions. IF the stock is an integral part of the rear trunion replacing it would require grinding off the rivet heads and drilling out the existing rivet shanks. Not an easy job but can be done. Then you would have to replace the trunion with one compatible to both the receiver and what ever you are going to use as a replacement grip. Riveting the new or modified trunion in to the receiver is a job that requires some special tooling and a shop press if its to be done right. On the other hand IF the butt stock is only attached to the rear trunion with a grip screw (typical on most AKs) or something like it then the change would be very easy provided a suitable grip is available or could be made from an existing one.
At least that's what I could tell from just looking a pics on the web. Anyone who has built AKs from parts kits could tell you what you are up against with an inspection of the gun.     

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:44:02 PM »
I just got done doing this to my Saiga 12 guage.  The best source of parts I found was Carolina Shooters Supply.  It is pretty easy to do, let me know if you want to get together and discuss.

John K