< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Let's talk .22's  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
Re: Let's talk .22's
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »

For the technique they teach, your support hand will be directly under the stock of the rifle.  Protruding magazines such as those on an AR-style rifle will get in the way and rub on (and possibly cut) your arm. 

Does that also apply to an AR15 used for the centerfire portion?

Dan, you'll be fine with the protruding magazine of an AR or a Marlin 795 - depending on your arm length, you just might not be able to get your elbow directly under the stock.  New shooters (especially with smaller frames or shorter arms) sometimes find it easier to have a recessed mag.  I recommend getting down into the prone and sitting positions 10 min/night, about 3-4 nights/week for the couple weeks leading up to an Appleseed.  Not only will your muscles thank you Sunday AM of the Appleseed, but you'll be able to work out some of the positioning issues - like the support elbow and protruding mag.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
Zombie thanks for the help.  I have a favor to ask though...Can you start another thread explaining the requirements to become a volunteer for the Appleseed programs, time required, skills necessary, and the like, so I can see if there are people here that would be able to help get the program going in Nebraska on a regular basis?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:40:00 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »
Absolutely!  Let me check and see who the Nebraska's State Coordinator is and I'll first shoot you a PM to see if you know him, then I'll start a thread.  But the short answer is: all it takes to be an Appleseed volunteer is a desire to save your country.  Time requirement is easy: whatever you're willing to give!  But I'll start a more thorough thread with points of contact and some links for any interested patirots to peruse.   ;D

Zombie
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein