< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Let's talk .22's  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Let's talk .22's
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »
I am really interested in acquiring another rifle in .22 cal most likely semi auto(I have a lever action)

Ruger10/22, Marlin60 , S&W M&P15-22, Colt/Walther AR22... I want high capacity magazines and optics compatible( old eyes have a tough time with iron sights), capable of sling attachment. Something that would be useable for Appleseed events for my grandkids.

Tell me about your experience in this area.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

A-FIXER

Re: Let's talk .22's
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Dan-o, the one i would look at would be the marlin 981t yes its a tube fed and and .22 shorts I think 27 of'em and .22 lr 17 of'em no mag to mess with and as I see it the only downside could be this unloading after hunting yea you could shoot'em off and be done I do like mine is more accurate than my 10/22 target w/bull barrel has a 22'' barrel and I do think makes it more sturdy ergomcial to hold and nicer trigger.....has iron sights and sling studs and is somewhat more quiet than the 10/22 to me you is 3/8 grooves to mount that type of optics or order the blade type weaver mounts from midway.....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:28:27 PM by A-FIXER »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
Marlin model 60's:

I have a couple of these and a few other Marlins in my collection.  They are "good" guns, and tend to be very accurate if kept clean(barrels) but they have their problems. 
They can be very finicky as far as ammo is concerned, even for 2 identical guns.  some run them "wet" with quite a bit of oil lube, others(including myself now) use dry graphite for lube.  The 14 or so round feeding tube is handy while hunting for good ammo capacity and no mag hanging off the bottom of the gun, but takes a while to reload.  Not much aftermarket for barrels, just a couple stocks and that's about it.  Not drilled or tapped for scope mounts that I know of, just the 3/8" dovetail scope rail.

I don't think you would be happy with one for your "Appleseed" gun.

I know nothing about the new S&W or Colt AR22's that just came out.  I use a Ceiner 22 kit in an old 1/12 twist M16 barreled upper on one of my AR's, it's fun for plinking, but I have never shot it for accuracy.

That leaves you with the 10/22.  How much do you want to spend?  $200 to $2000 is easy to do.

If I make it to an Appleseed shoot(like I want to), I'll be using either a Marlin model 80DL bolt action(with 7 round mag) or my model 81DL(with tube-feed mag).  Both came from the factory with a 23" barrel, peep sights and are early 1950's vintage.  They are pretty darn accurate.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
See, I just don't know much about 22's. Does anyone think that a tube fed rifle would work very good for the Appleseed shoots? My old Sears Ted Williams lever action(of unknown manufacturer) holds 14 Long Rifle in the tube and has a 4X scope. I was thinking it would not be that good for timed fire.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
It is probably a Marlin levermatic, short stroke lever, right?

The appleseed event is not a bullseye target match, I think any 22 would be fine. I would take my HK270 or Ruger 1022 anyday.

Ruger has a new 1022 out, looks like one I designed three years ago and never did anything with. A trigger job and it should be good to go.

No one has mentioned the GSG5 yet? What is this world coming to? German Sport Guns also offers an AK47 type 22 rimfire, and may have more models available by now. It is hard to keep up on all the new stuff. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:13:17 PM by LitlRat »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:24:40 AM »
Are you familiar with Rimfire Central (http://rimfirecentral.com)? You might want to browse that site and/or post any questions you over there.

I purchased a new 10/22 almost a year ago. I wasn't familiar with the rifle at the time and didn't realize that Ruger made some cost cutting changes. For instance, the trigger housing and barrel band are now made of injection molded plastic. I don't think it really matters though. The trigger was HORRIBLE, but I was able to stone and/or polish all the internal parts and the trigger is much better now. I think the biggest advantage the 10/22 has over most other .22's is the aftermarket parts that are available. You can modify the right to your hearts content.

I had a Marlin Model 60 many moons ago. Pretty reliable and accurate rifle. Find the right ammo and I think you'd be happy with it.

Anyway, head over the Rimfire Central. Good information to be had over there.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:34:36 AM »
I wouldn't recommend a tube fed rifle for an Appleseed.  You're doing a lot of fast mag changes and I don't see how you could reload a tube fed fast enough.  I'd recommend either a Marlin 795 or a 10/22 and put tech sights on whichever one you buy.  If I didn't already have a 10/22 I probably would have gone with the Marlin.  The Rugers often need some tweaking to get them reliable.  Mine never was reliable until I bought a Volquartsen extractor for it.  In 5-600 round at the Appleseed it only had 1 stovepipe.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »

Sportmens Guide sells a "Spee-D-Loader " for fast loading of .22 tubular mags   

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
I've heard of making tube fed speedloaders from drinking straws.  I'm sure they work well, but you still have to pull the inner tube out, dump the cartridges in, and replace it.  I usually had just enough time to complete the course of fire with a box type mag.  I doubt if I could have done it with a tube fed.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
My guess is that the stress of  difficult reloading just adds to the difficulty of achieving  the Rifleman score.

I have learned from competing in Trap that I can only think about 1 thing at a time.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
I like the looks of the Marlin 795. That stock looks very  much like the Hogue overmolded 10/22 replacement. Any idea how they compare?

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »
My guess is that the stress of  difficult reloading just adds to the difficulty of achieving  the Rifleman score.

I have learned from competing in Trap that I can only think about 1 thing at a time.

Baseball?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
NO...  INK BALL
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
I like the looks of the Marlin 795. That stock looks very  much like the Hogue overmolded 10/22 replacement. Any idea how they compare?

That stock has a plastic feel to it. Hogue is a rubber feel. With the ruger you can change anything, kinda like an AR15, hundreds of stocks, 30 round mags, 50 round drums, aftermarket triggers, multiple scope mounts, aftermarket barrels, and easy to find mags. They even made a rifle version that has a 20 inch barrel.

I put mine back from a Ram line folder in the 80's to a walnut stocked version with a Volquartsen trigger. I used to have heavy barrels, fancy target stocks, but realized they did me no good using it to shoot prairie dogs and rabbits. My son's has a Butler Creek folder and a threaded barrel, with an illuminated reticle scope. Promag makes a stock for them to make them look similar to an Ar15, like the new Ruger version.

I know you a little Dan, you would get the disease to upgrade the rifle very quickly. Maybe you should stay away from the Ruger 1022. If you elect to get one, find an older one with the aluminum trigger guard. The new palstic ones are cheaply made, and look that way.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »
I know you a little Dan, you would get the disease to upgrade the rifle very quickly. Maybe you should stay away from the Ruger 1022. 

I have 6 grandsons to arm...That's why I am trying to stay away from another $800 rifle.

I could buy 4 Marlin 795's with scopes for that money and they would be just fine
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
I've never shot a 795 but my understanding is they're basically a Model 60 with a box mag.  My model 60 was the first rifle I ever bought and it was scary accurate.  I'm guessing the 795 would be just as good. 

Tech Sights makes aperture sights for the 60 and I believe they also fit the 795.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

"I have 6 grandsons to arm..."

Now THERE is a man who understands his responsibilities.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »
+1 to bkoenig on Marlin 795s.

I bought a Marlin 795 for my wife (her 1st rifle) for an Appleseed and put tech sights and a USGI sling on it.  It's definitiely more affordable than a 10/22; I think the rifle was $163 after tax and it even came with a Bushnell scope - plus there's a $20 rebate from Marlin good until 12/31/09.  Out of the box, I think it's a better rifle than the 10/22, but the 10/22 can be upgraded to be the better rifle - if you want to put in the extra cash.  It comes down to what's more important: hardware or software?  For what it's worth, I'll likely pick up another 1 or 2 spare 795s and upgrade them with Tech Sights and USGI slings to use as loner Liberty Training Rifles at Appleseeds.

Zombie
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
If you plan on using the rifle in an Appleseed, get a 10/22. 

For the technique they teach, your support hand will be directly under the stock of the rifle.  Protruding magazines such as those on an AR-style rifle will get in the way and rub on (and possibly cut) your arm.

A plain 10/22 with nothing more than Tech Sights, GI sling, and Federal bulk pack can make "Rifleman" at an Appleseed (essentially 1" groups at 25 yards).  The Appleseed course of fire does require some fast reloading, so magazines are a major help.  A practiced shooter with a bolt action and some stripper clips could probably do it.  A tube-fed rifle shooter will be rushing.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »

For the technique they teach, your support hand will be directly under the stock of the rifle.  Protruding magazines such as those on an AR-style rifle will get in the way and rub on (and possibly cut) your arm. 

Does that also apply to an AR15 used for the centerfire portion?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder