General Categories > Firearms Training and Education

Fundamental Gun Handling Videos, Part II: The Grip

(1/5) > >>

JTH:
The second video in the Precision Response Training series about Fundamental Gun Handling skills is up, this time talking about gripping the gun.  Not talking about stance or trigger control yet, just how to hold the gun in the first place to mitigate recoil and to limit recoil direction.

https://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/fundamental-gun-handling-videos-part-ii-the-grip/

As the article says, I originally meant for it to be a short video---but as I talked I kept getting reminded of all the bad grips I've seen, and how many questions (and excuses) I've heard over time about grip, and I wanted to make sure I addressed at least some of those.  SO........it ended up a bit longer than I originally meant. 

Whoops.

Well, hopefully it'll be interesting enough so that people watch the whole thing.  :)

Currently, other topics I plan on discussing are (not necessarily in this order):
-Stance
-Trigger control
-Basic safe gun handling
-Sights and vision
...and no, I'm not covering combat rolls.  (Though I may do one about making sure your fundamentals are solid before attempting "advanced" techniques.)

If anyone thinks of any other topics of interest, let me know!

HuskerXDM:
Keep 'em coming!  I'm constantly trying to get CHP participants to change to a better grip... I see the thumbs lock down all the time.  Easily the most common grip I see...

DenmanShooter:
That was excellent.  Thank you!

OnTheFly:
Put Basic Safe Gun Handling on the top of the list.  I'm sure there would be items I had not considered before, but I know a lot of people who disregard even the fundamentals.

Fly

JTH:

--- Quote from: OnTheFly on January 20, 2015, 08:06:07 PM ---Put Basic Safe Gun Handling on the top of the list.  I'm sure there would be items I had not considered before, but I know a lot of people who disregard even the fundamentals.

--- End quote ---

I was going to talk stance next, but I think that based on what I've been reading and seeing in various places lately, I agree. 

It interests me how many "experienced" gun owners still don't know how to competently handle handguns.  Between holstering using both hands, sweeping themselves while loading/unloading/reloading/remedial actions, and having very little muzzle awareness and control, we see a LOT of occasions where people demonstrate all too little idea of simple basic safe gun handling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version