General Categories > Firearms Training and Education

Fundamental Gun Handling Videos, Part II: The Grip

<< < (2/5) > >>

farmerbob:
Looking forward to next video, Thank You!

abbafandr:
I have some difficulty with getting the support hand onto the handle when I use something small, like my PF9.  I don't notice this with the G17 or larger guns.

Mali:

--- Quote from: abbafandr on January 22, 2015, 08:10:21 PM ---I have some difficulty with getting the support hand onto the handle when I use something small, like my PF9.  I don't notice this with the G17 or larger guns.

--- End quote ---
I would agree.  The PT709 is small and sometimes harder to get the off hand placed squarly on the grip.  But, I appreciate your video and will take a closer look at my grip and how it can be improved.

JTH:

--- Quote from: Mali on January 23, 2015, 11:00:28 AM ---I would agree.  The PT709 is small and sometimes harder to get the off hand placed squarly on the grip.  But, I appreciate your video and will take a closer look at my grip and how it can be improved.

--- End quote ---

Like I said, it is also a function of hand size and gun size---and with really tiny guns, there just isn't much area to use.  As such, most of the time (with tiny guns) the secondary hand just can't be placed as high or as forward without either 1) being scarily close to the muzzle, or 2) interfering with the action of the slide.

The normal solution to this is not rotating the hand quite so far forward--you don't get as much control forward, and the amount of second-hand actually contacting the grip isn't as much (again, with a tiny grip the primary hand will cover more) but it will still work better than a teacup or thumbs locked-down grip.

I'll note:  generally the gun has to be pretty small for this to be an issue.  I can shoot a PF-9 normally with no problem (yes, it took some practice to get the hand placement on the PF-9, but it works, and similarly a G26 and a j-frame revolver), so for me (and I have normal-sized hands) it takes something like a Beretta Tomcat or LCP or something for it to be an issue. 

And I don't carry ones that small, because I can carry something larger which makes it much easier to shoot effectively.  :)

It is certainly true that some of the mini-pistols out there come with their own unique issues.

JTH:
Well, that was kinda cool--just read a comment from a USPSA A-class shooter:

"I feel like I just spent eight and a half minutes learning something I wish I had known ten years ago. "

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version