< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Case trimmer suggestions  (Read 1280 times)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Case trimmer suggestions
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
Looking to get my next piece of reloading equipment so I can start to reload .223
Suggestions for a trimmer that won't break the bank?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Case trimmer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
 I started out with the old version of the RCBS trim pro, you do them SLOWLY one at a time, turning that crank going thro 2,000 cases is a pain.
 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/817007/rcbs-trim-pro-2-manual-case-trimmer-kit

Now I have the Dillon case trimmer, place a case in your loader and run it up and its trimmed, can do over 120 a hour, 
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23636/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_Rapid_Trim_1200B_Case_Trimmer

I had to pay twice by not getting the good one first,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »
Depends on what you want to accomplish and how fast you want to do it?  What volumes? Do you want a one and done process?

I have a Franford Arsenal trimmer unit. I works fantastic! I t is very well built and is very versatile.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Series-Center/dp/B00HS7JEB4

Depending on what all reload for rifle calibers

Depends on what you want to accomplish and how fast you want to do it? The Worlds finiest trimmer and the giraud tool tirway are both good option and you can use a cordless drill.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »
I have a World's Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gun Works.  It works very well, but I would like to upgrade to the Dillon.

I HATE case prep.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
I have a Forster Original that I like a lot.  But it's manual / low volume.  More for precision stuff.  Also, it's case retention mechanism isn't as "nifty" as the lyman/hornady/rcbs.

If you don't mind man handling a drill and a case at the same time, the Lee hand held things can be good and fast.

There are plenty of folks that have chucked their table mounted trimmers to a drill...

I will say, there have been ALOT of negative reviews of the hornady lnl case prep center (electric, kinda tall, etc).  So be wary of it / do a lot of research on that one first.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D