< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AdvancedSystemCare8: Worth Using??  (Read 2530 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
AdvancedSystemCare8: Worth Using??
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:18:15 PM »
Few weeks back, my computer was infested with junk.

Knowledgeable Forum advice was to get MalwareBytes and run it on my computer, which I did.   Worked like a Glock.  Computer has been super ever since.

Now something called AdvancedSystemCare8 has popped up on my computer.  Self-claims to be better than the Second Coming.

Shall I run this stuff or get rid of it in a hurry?

sfg
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:21:05 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: AdvancedSystemCare8: Worth Using??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
I have used their products in the past and found them to be a serious burden on the processors.  They do what they are designed to do, but the cost is in the reduction of system speed.  I dont use them anymore.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »
I've used Advanced System Care for years and have no complaints.   The free edition is a good toolset.   Can't say that I know how the paid version is that much better as the free edition helped solve any issues I had.   FWIW, I am a firm believer in using the paid version of Malwarebytes.  Once in a while you can find it offered for free after rebate from Newegg or other electronic warehouse offerings.  RegistryRecycler is another free tool you may want to consider (there are others and I think the new ASC may have that built in)...periodic maintenance of the registry will help keep the old 'puter humming along just fine.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
Based on what I'm hearing from both of you folks, it appears that this software is not malicious in and of itself.

So--I might give it a brief trial and see if it appears to have any benefit.

My free time w/the free MalwareBytes has expired.   MWB worked so well that if I again have problems, I'll happily download and pay for the fee-based version.   Good Stuff deserves its reward for value.   My Norton system scrubber seems to work well, as well.

The ASC8 just popped up out of nowhere, tied to a recommended restart.   Naturally, I'm suspicious of such behavior and wanted to check it out here among more knowledgeable Forum members.

If I get any definitive results, they'll be posted.

Many thanks,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
For safeties  sake never click on an uncalled for pop up...I always kill the pop up and if I think I want to investigate further, do my own search for the product
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 03:31:24 PM »
For safeties  sake never click on an uncalled for pop up...I always kill the pop up and if I think I want to investigate further, do my own search for the product

DanW:

Yeah, we're pretty much of the same mind on that one.

I saw the pop-up and backed out.   Did the research.   Saw that the comments on ASC8 weren't too awful.   Decided to go to the Forum.

Just haven't killed it yet.  I wuz leaning in the direction of using it; leaning otherwise, just now.

Waiting for GGs and unfy's inputs, I guess.   

sfg

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 06:54:30 AM »
SFG,
I am the go-to for the extended family for this stuff (I am an IT consultant with 20+ years in the industry) and I use Eset for my full-time A/V and Firewall solution and a paid copy of MWB as my malware protection.  I hate paying for the products, but there are certain things I just don't go cheap on. I will pay for my OS, A/V, Firewalls, malware protection, and tools that I use on a daily basis in my work.  I would highly suggest budgeting for those items, unless you are a *nix user then don't worry about that one.  ;)

If this product was brought to your attention through a Pop-Up ad on a webpage and not an ad on the page itself then I have to question the validity of the product and especially the manufacturer.  Even if it is a good product now the fact that they are willing to use a questionable practice like pop-up ads leads me to believe that they may be willing to go down darker roads in the future.

In my experience, getting a virus or malware infection and cleaning it will cost your more in time and effort than the price of the software to prevent it.  Well, that and being selective about where you go on the Internet.   :laugh:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
I am the go-to for the extended family for this stuff (I am an IT consultant with 20+ years in the industry)

Well, I may want to adopt you so that we would have a readily available qualified IT Tekkie in the sfg family.  (Or.... I do have one remaining unmarried daughter.

Anyhow, this ASC8 pop-up thing came about because my computer received a message from an organization named IObit Information Technology that a new update for the Start Menu was available.   Now....If I happen to have anything on the computer that already works at all, I will use it just about forever and a day before taking on anything new that might corrupt the system.

However, in this case ASC8 seemed to have a number of desirable features that might be useful.   After my last experience w/a highjacked computer and the Absolutely Breathless Performance of MalwareBytes in freeing it up, it seemed a little help in reserve might be a good idea.

Like DanW said, though, best to back out and check out independently first and on your own initiative.

Bottom Line:  I'm going to pass on ASC8 for the moment.  Using Norton right now.  And McAfee.   If glitches happen, I'll gladly purchase MalwareBytes on the spot.

One Last Item:

It's kinda hard to fathom that certain folks are out there in cyberland who have the skills, time, and sinister aspect to sit around and figure out ways to mess with other folks computer systems.   Often at no personal profit whatsoever, except the malicious joy of messing others up.   The Germans have a word for it:  schadenfreude.

Go Figger.

sfg

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
2 other nice Freeware tools to keep around are

Spybot

and

HiJackThis

Spybot is a free-"begware" Malware program  ("it works some of the time just not as good as MalwareBytes")   

HiJackThis will tell you and others you want to help you just what the hell is currently loaded and running on your system.
It will create a .txt file of your what your system is loading and running that you can send to others as well.
It will also allow you to manually remove any of the startup-load programs if finds too.
(Be careful with this option if you don't know what your removing)

Some of the MS Sysinternal utilities are nice too have too like Tcpview and Usbview.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:39:16 AM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
(Be careful with this option if you don't know what your removing)

Amen, I Say Unto You...............Amen!

sfg

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
Well, I may want to adopt you so that we would have a readily available qualified IT Tekkie in the sfg family.  (Or.... I do have one remaining unmarried daughter.

My wife might have something to say about that, but if she's purty enough...

:)
I agree with everything you said and my general rule is research, research, research before install.  I have used both the products Phantom recommended and they are very helpful, but like he said, Spybot is only "OK" these days.  You also have to be careful to get Spybot S&D not Spybot as S&D is the real thing and the other is malware. ;)

schadenfreude indeed.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
SemperFiGuy-
IOBit is the company behind ASC.  The pop-up probably came along with something else you may have clicked on previous...just like so many other products out there that are laying in wait looking for a happy clicker to come along and see what this does.  IOBit has search bars/tools as well that can attach to your browser for an "enhanced" browsing experience.   Unlike other products out there that claim to do the same thing...you can, at the very least, remove any of the IOBit stuff with little effort unlike some of the non-reputable junk from unscrupulous sources.  I'm not pushing or advocating the use of ASC, just saying that they deserve a little credit for not being "one of those" companies whose products do more harm than good.  As I mentioned earlier, I have used the free version(s) of ASC for years with no issues.

Best thing to do, as others have mentioned, is to do your due diligence before downloading anything and do the same for where you download from.   C/NET is a reputable site that has free software/paid software that you can review first and download directly from without worry of your pc becoming infected.    http://www.cnet.com/     To date there have been 118,460,299 downloads of the free version of ASC from the cnet site...so, pretty fair to say it must be ok for "a few" folks.      Hope this helps.   

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
sfg, why don't you just block pop ups? ???

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
sfg, why don't you just block pop ups?

I do.

As it happened, I used the term "pop-up" generically instead of strictly.   It appears that IObit is the keeper of the Start Menu for my version of Windows.  They apparently developed a new, latest version of the Windows Start Menu, available for download.  So they sent a message ("pop-up") that the new/latest version was now ready to go.

And then they said--in effect--Oh.....By the Way, you can also get AdvancedSystemCare8, which does Wonderful Things for Your Computer.   That sorta stuff.

However, for the present, I'm gonna pass on ASC8 until something wrong happens with my computer.  I'll continue to run Norton and McAfee.   And will download and pay for MalwareBytes-on-steroids version if, as, and whenever needed.   And keep ASC8 as a last resort.

Still can't figger why anyone in their right mind would spend the time and effort to create and test software, then give it away for free.   Unless they have a roundabout way of (a) profiting from this endeavor and/or (b) creating computer chaos for the sheer glee of it all.

Yeah, I know some of them sell advertising on the backside.   Vendors must be desperate for advertising space.   That point come up everywhere, even at the gas pump.   Some gas pumps now have advertising videos on them.   

Maybe automakers should put video screens on the back of the new models.   Sell mobile advertising.   Oh, yes....there's always the back side of the toilet stall door.   Captive audience there.

Meantime, my computer is working OK.

Goin' trapshooting w/some guys later this morning.   Life is good.

sfg

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
The paid version of MalwareBytes is about as good as protection gets.  ASC8 is not needed for your system.  Also, running more than one AV product is counter productive and a waste of system resources.   A good AV product will detect the existence of another running AV product and advise you to stop and remove the other product before continuing with its install.   AV products that don't warn you and install anyway are nothing more than a Trojan trackers.    So, delete Norton and McAfee, they are inferior to MalwareBytes anyway, and besides being redundant, they amount to nothing less than Trojans that do not give easy means to remove themselves, especially from your  browser.  I can't count the number of infected Windows boxes I've cleaned up that were running paid up AND active Norton or McAfee AV "protection".

When ever I help someone complete their initial Windows setup the first thing I do BEFORE I connect their box to the web is to download  MalwareBytes or Microsoft's Security Essentials (as good as most for reasons described below) and store it on a USB stick.  Then, without a connection to the Internet,  I complete their setup and then  install the AV from the USB stick.  Remember this:  the average time from startup to infection of a new Windows computer without AV protection, just setting idle with an Internet connection, is under FOUR MINUTES.   NEVER, EVER connect an unprotected Windows machine to the Internet!

All AV products suffer from a serious problem ... delay.   When a hacker releases a virus or Trojan, usually by merely mailing a single email, or posting an infected link or java applet on a web page, the malware begins to spread and infect computers (client or server).  Some spread very fast, others spread very slow, or are targeted for specific types of computer installations and and use uninteresting computers as vectors only, not harming them.    Eventually, and how long can vary considerably, a security analyst catches wind of a "problem" some folks are experiencing and investigates.   Capturing a copy of the virus he/she isolates it in a "jail" (virtual environment which simulates a running computer)  and studies its behavior.  Depending on the complexity of the virus the time for this process can also vary considerably, from a few hours to a few months or sometimes a few years, as in the case of Stutnex.    When a finger print of the virus is determined and code capable of removing it is written, the AV "vaccine" data file is updated with the new information.   Good AV products automatically download updated vaccine files.  During the next scan the new malware is detected and removed.   Between the time your computer gets infected and the time a vaccine file is downloaded to your computer several days, months or years can pass by.  During that time your personal data is at risk!   Microsoft is notorious for keeping serious infections secret until fixing it suits their bottom line.

Besires firewalls and AV software, IF you want to keep personal data safe on your computer you have a some choices.   
1) Isolate the files into a single directory and then put them into a password protected zip file using a password at least 10 characters long containing upper and lower case alphabet, numbers and graphical characters, i.e., a 512 bit or higher security key.  The PGP compressing program is excellent.  When you need access to a particular file extract only IT with PGP, leaving the other files safely in the zipped file.  After finishing with that file delete it, or, re-zip it into the zip file if you modified it.   If someone breaks into your computer they'd need a quantum computer to break into the zip file.  (Personally, I don't like locking the directory structure.)  Make two or more copies of the zip file two or more CDROMs and store them in two different locations that cannot be destroyed by a single fire.  Hackers can not steal what is not on your computer.  The worse they can do is make your computer a zombie in their bot farm.   You'll be able to tell that because your online performance will drop into the toilet on occasions for no practical reason.   MalwareBytes prevents that.

2)  Burn you important data onto a write only CDROM disc and store it in your personal safe.  Make a second or even third copy.  Store one in your home safe and another at your bank.   Delete that single directory your personal info was in.   When ever your personal info changes (new income tax return, etc...) you'll have to recopy the directory from the CDROM, make changes, reburn and redistribute the CDs.   A PITA?  Of course, but how much of a pita would trying to recapture your personal identity be?  You'll still need MalwareBytes to avoid becoming a zombie.

3)  Avoid the most common single element in a computer infection, your Windows OS, by switching to a Mac or Linux, both of which are "nix" (Unix based) computer operating systems built with multi-user and security in mind from the ground up.  While not impossible, it is an order of magnitude harder for a hacker to break into a Mac and several orders harder to break into a Linux system.   If either system gets cracked it is usually because of simple passwords.    The main reason Linux users run AV products is to strip malware payloads from emails they forward to Windows users as a service to their friends who use Windows.  The "If Linux were as popular as Windows it would have just as many malware" is bogus.  About 2 million viruses per year are created for the Windows environment.  Five years ago 10% of the population used Linux.  Today, with the failure of VISTA and Win8, that number has risen to close to 20%.  Mac use has increased as well.   I suspect that Windows market share is at 50% or less and prognostications are that within 5 years it will be below 20%.      With a 20% market share world wide one would expect, based on popularity, that Linux would have 400,000 viruses per year.   The number of  active "in the wild" Linux malware since 1992 can be counted on your fingers and toes.   The hundreds listed in McAfee's malware database, for example, are just Windows malware with "Linux" added to the name.  The purpose: to scare up business from ignorant users.

Be aware that Java is a cross platform application and if you enable the jvm (Java Virtual Machine) on your browser you enable malicious java applets to run in your home account environment.   This is true of Windows, too.   Generally, the worse that can happen on Linux is that you have to delete and re-create your home account.   The rest of the system remain unaffected because root escalation is extremely difficult to achieve in Linux.    Because of jvm threats some Linux users run AV on their box.   I don't, and never have.    I've been using Linux since 1998 and have yet to see a single Linux malware on any of my computers, or on the two dozen or so Linux boxes of folks my age whom I support.    I'm usually online 12/7/365.    I used to play around with WINE and explode Windows malware in WINE to see what it does on Windows machines, but that got boring because there are only eight attack vectors and malware uses one of the eight.  Most malware is just modified source recompiled to create new signatures that existing vaccine files can't recognize.

I ran SuSE from Sept of 1998 till 2003, and two or three other Linux distros from then to 2009.  I've been running Kubuntu since January of 2009.  It is running the latest KDE desktop.   If you want to know what its "look and feel" is like look at a Win7 box, or, even Win10.  it seems that Microsoft's "innovation" is to copy the KDE desktop and install L&F.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
Folks.............

Now THAT's Considerably More Than Your Money's Worth!!!!

Thanks, GG.

sfg