< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any Word on Reciprocity?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
Any Word on Reciprocity?
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »
I know the AG determined what states CCW licenses qualify to carry in Nebraska, but what about Nebraska CCW licenses meeting reciprocity requirements in other states?  Is anyone working on this?  I don't know that it's the state's responsibility to move forward on this issue, so is it ours as citizens? or NFOA possibly?  Just throwing this out for discussion because right now we are an Island with just holding NE CCW permits.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Re: Any Word on Reciprocity?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
According to Pack-N-Go Website the following states do not recognize Nebraska CCW permits:

California
Oregon
Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa
Florida
South Carolina
New Hampshire
New York
Rhode Island
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Vermont
Maine
West Virgina

Some of those states will never recognize a CCW.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
I believe that each state goes through an annual review to update their list of which states they will recognize.  Our AG did this as a result of LB430 going into effect.   We either wait for a lot of these states to do their review, or persons can initiate contact with a state.  Members here have taken the initiative to contact some states, I don't know which ones have and have not.  I do know that someone here put a lot of effort into getting Colorado to update their list (thanks Dan!).  I believe someone contacted Wyoming.  I don't know what other states have been contacted, by whom, or the status.

-Rod

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
Actually it was a non member( Lee H.) that found the right email address for the new  Agent In Charge of Reciprocity at the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

He got the right people to talk and they worked it out. I hope Lee will join us here at the NFOA soon. 

Sometimes all it takes is to ask. The strength of the NFOA is the strong desire of it's members to make a difference.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
I was going to try and do something about CCW reciprocity in Connecticut (where I'm originally from), but that seems like a lost cause. CT recognizes absolutely *no one's* permits except their own.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »
You never know until you try... I didn't think it would happen here in NE either.  ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
So is Colorado recognizing NE. now?
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

A-FIXER

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »
YES     http://www.handgunlaw.us/ You can check out this infor at this link
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:13:14 PM by A-FIXER »

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
Woohoo!   :D
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 02:22:26 PM »
Just a little more information about reciprocity:
I went to the Nebraska State Patrol website with the following question:
"Is there a "go to" person that handles CCW and reciprocity with other state questions?"

Question:We now recognize New Mexico's CCW so will they recognize Nebraska CCW soon?

Response on 12/09/09:
Thank you for writing,
     Nebraska currently does not have a formal reciprocity agreement with any state for recognition of CCW permits.   Some states have decided on their own to recognize Nebraska permits in their states.  Only a handful of states have actually given notice to us that they are recognizing Nebraska permits - Colorado, Texas, and Arkansas.  There are, however, 14 or 15 states listed on some of the web-sites showing that they recognize Nebraska permits.  You might want to look at two that I am aware of:  www.usconcealedcarry.com  and the NRA site at www.nraila.org/recmap/Recguide.pdf.   At least one of these also lists the administrators in each state that you can contact for state specific information.

Web Master,
Nebraska State Patrol

I am still curious about who the most knowledgeable person about CCW is in Nebraska.  ???

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:28:24 PM »
The correct answer to this question is Nebraska does not have reciprocity, we have a limited recognition.

The difference Reciprocity 2 states form an agreement to recognize each other?s permits, Recognition your state just automatically recognizes another?s without any formal agreements needed (ours is limited due to the fact that rather than recognizing all permits, like Missouri, we recognize those "similar" to ours).  If another state wishes to recognize ours due to the fact that we recognize theirs (Colorado, has this type system) if we see they work that way we can inform them of the recognition and they can verify with the NSP.

The advantage of recognition is it is a step toward full national recognition like is done with drivers licenses.  There is no formal contract in place, states know that all states have similar requirements and just automatically recognize each other?s licenses.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on this. I hope all states recognizing CCW happens soon  :)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:48 PM »
Unfortunately, the NSP has not updated much of anything on their CCW web pages since the passage of LB430.   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »
Unfortunately, the NSP has not updated much of anything on their CCW web pages since the passage of LB430.   ::)

Maybe an NFOA email barrage would show them the error of their ways...

http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/contact_us.asp
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.