< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Things I Saw at the Last Match  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Things I Saw at the Last Match
« on: February 10, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
A couple of observations:

1) When holstering, where is your off hand?  Is it fiddling around, by the holster, while you try to holster?  Is that a good idea?  Maybe think about revamping your rig so no assist is needed by the offhand?  Maybe think about working on the motions involved, so the off hand is nowhere near the mouth of the holster during the process?

2)  When drawing, what's moving?  Your arms?  Shoulders?  Legs?  Feet?  What needs to move for a good, smooth draw?  Wasted motion adds time. 

Not criticizing or picking on anyone.  Just trying to be helpful and make our shooting sports better and safer.  And maybe even make us better shooters. 

Now I'll stand by and wait for Thomas to produce another video which brilliantly illustrates basics such as this.  Maybe there will even be fire and explosions, who knows?  :)  (Maybe he has and I missed it?  I'm sure I'd remember the explosions though.) 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Things I Saw at the Last Match
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
Now I'll stand by and wait for Thomas to produce another video which brilliantly illustrates basics such as this.  Maybe there will even be fire and explosions, who knows?  :)  (Maybe he has and I missed it?  I'm sure I'd remember the explosions though.)
IIRC, the first video in the latest series was about not fishing and bowling, i.e. efficiency of motion when drawing your weapon.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »
Another thing I noticed was how many shooters were wearing glasses WITHOUT side shields.  Makes me wonder how many were just regular reading glasses.
Just an observation.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 05:52:31 AM »
IIRC, the first video in the latest series was about not fishing and bowling, i.e. efficiency of motion when drawing your weapon.

And part III included a discussion about NOT having your off hand near your holster, including showing exactly how people are sweeping themselves.  :)

I'll work on adding more fire and explosions.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
And part III included a discussion about NOT having your off hand near your holster, including showing exactly how people are sweeping themselves.  :)

I'll work on adding more fire and explosions.

Well yeah, now that you mention it, I recall these videos.  Nothing exploded though.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »
I would kindly like to inform you that Tannerite is only legal in Nebraska when un- mixed. If you mix them you have to have an explosives permit from NSP or you will be charged with a misdemeanor.

Quote and statute.

Sheriff Capt. Bob Anderson said the materials the men were allegedly using were a commercially sold product that when mixed can be ignited by shooting at them with a rifle. In Nebraska, an explosives permit is required to use, store or possess any explosives.

NE law for the legal eagles here
guessing they are going with the highlighted part
Nebraska Statutes 28-1213 - Explosives, destructive devices, other terms; defined
(1) Person means any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, limited liability company, society, or joint-stock company;

(2) Business enterprise means any corporation, partnership, limited liability company, company, or joint-stock company;

(3) Explosive materials means explosives, blasting agents, and detonators;

(4) Explosives means any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion, including, but not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, ignited cord, igniters, display fireworks as defined in section 28-1241, and firecrackers or devices containing more than one hundred thirty milligrams of explosive composition, but does not include consumer fireworks as defined in such section, gasoline, kerosene, naphtha, turpentine, benzine, acetone, ethyl ether, benzol, fixed ammunition and primers for small arms, safety fuses, or matches;

(5) Blasting agent means any material or mixture intended for blasting which meets the requirements of 49 C.F.R. part 173, subpart C, Definitions, Classification and Packaging for Class I, as such subpart existed on January 1, 2010;

(6) Detonator means any device containing an initiating or primary explosive that is used for initiating detonation. Excluding ignition or delay charges, a detonator shall not contain more than ten grams of explosive material per unit. Detonator includes an electric detonator of instantaneous or delay type, a detonator for use with safety fuses, a detonating cord delay connector, and a nonelectric detonator of instantaneous or delay type which consists of detonating cord, shock tube, or any other replacement for electric leg wires;

(7)(a) Destructive devices means:

(i) Any explosive, incendiary, chemical or biological poison, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, (F) booby trap, (G) Molotov cocktail, (H) bottle bomb, (I) vessel or container intentionally caused to rupture or mechanically explode by expanding pressure from any gas, acid, dry ice, or other chemical mixture, or (J) any similar device, the primary or common purpose of which is to explode and to be used as a weapon against any person or property; or

(ii) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subdivision (7)(a)(i) of this section from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

(b) The term destructive device does not include (i) any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon to be used against person or property, (ii) any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device, (iii) surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 4684(2), 4685, or 4686, as such sections existed on March 7, 2006, (iv) any other device which the Nebraska State Patrol finds is not likely to be used as a weapon or is an antique, or (v) any other device possessed under circumstances negating an intent that the device be used as a weapon against any person or property;

(8) Federal permittee means any lawful user of explosive materials who has obtained a federal user permit under 18 U.S.C. chapter 40, as such chapter existed on January 1, 2010;

(9) Federal licensee means any importer, manufacturer, or dealer in explosive materials who has obtained a federal importers', manufacturers', or dealers' license under 18 U.S.C. chapter 40, as such chapter existed on January 1, 2010; and

(10) Smokeless propellants means solid propellants commonly called smokeless powders in the trade and used in small arms ammunition.

Laws 1977, LB 38, § 245; Laws 1988, LB 893, § 1; Laws 1989, LB 215, § 1; Laws 1993, LB 121, § 180; Laws 1993, LB 163, § 1; Laws 1999, LB 131, § 1; Laws 2002, LB 82, §
D.R

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »
I would kindly like to inform you that Tannerite is only legal in Nebraska when un- mixed. If you mix them you have to have an explosives permit from NSP or you will be charged with a misdemeanor.

Thank you kindly for that information, particularly the long part quoting the actual law.  If I ever for some reason turn into a completely different person and add random explosions to any of my videos, I'll be sure to bear that in mind.

For the rest of us who understand humor, Lorimor was kidding.  Especially since (among other things) the video referenced was regarding some of the common firearm safety errors we see on the range.

Another thing I noticed was how many shooters were wearing glasses WITHOUT side shields.  Makes me wonder how many were just regular reading glasses.
Just an observation.

Lots of people seem to think that regular glasses are sufficient for eye protection, which it obviously is not.  It gets allowed, but I agree that it really isn't a good choice.  No side protection, glasses that don't project high or low enough to cover the entire eye socket, glasses whose material won't actually safely handle jacket/shrapnel impact--all bad things.

It is expensive to get shooting glasses with prescription inserts, I agree.  But I'm thinking it is better than being blind

Speaking as someone who has had to dig shrapnel out of his cheek and his forehead at different times, I ALWAYS wear eye pro when shooting.  I like not being blind.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
I have not had good luck getting Rx shooting glasses inserts to work for me.  :(  So I wear the geeky over glasses, which are so geeky, they are cool.  Kinda.  :)

These Champion specs work well and are rated at the military standard MIL-PRF-31013, which is waaayyy better than that silly ANSI Z87 stuff.  They come in clear and amber. 

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Over-Spec-Ballistic-Glasses-Amber/dp/B007ZNTN7G/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0383MYQRNX3CJKHSEKCN

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
Thank you kindly for that information, particularly the long part quoting the actual law.  If I ever for some reason turn into a completely different person and add random explosions to any of my videos, I'll be sure to bear that in mind.

For the rest of us who understand humor, Lorimor was kidding.  Especially since (among other things) the video referenced was regarding some of the common firearm safety errors we see on the range.

Lots of people seem to think that regular glasses are sufficient for eye protection, which it obviously is not.  It gets allowed, but I agree that it really isn't a good choice.  No side protection, glasses that don't project high or low enough to cover the entire eye socket, glasses whose material won't actually safely handle jacket/shrapnel impact--all bad things.

It is expensive to get shooting glasses with prescription inserts, I agree.  But I'm thinking it is better than being blind

Speaking as someone who has had to dig shrapnel out of his cheek and his forehead at different times, I ALWAYS wear eye pro when shooting.  I like not being blind.

:)  Your videos are so well done I have to work hard to find a criticism.  Since it's a well know fact that every truly great film ever made has lots of explosions, fire and bikinis, I thought I'd throw that out there. 

Orson Welles... Citizen Kane?  What's that guy know about film making?  :)

Now take Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok, they know some stuff:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:11:35 AM by Lorimor »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
These Champion specs work well and are rated at the military standard MIL-PRF-31013, which is waaayyy better than that silly ANSI Z87 stuff.  They come in clear and amber. 

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Over-Spec-Ballistic-Glasses-Amber/dp/B007ZNTN7G/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0383MYQRNX3CJKHSEKCN

Those do look pretty good.  I don't need glasses yet, but it's coming...

...and having a couple of these in my shooting bag isn't a bad plan, just because periodically I run into people who want to learn to shoot but HAVE to wear regular glasses.  Might have to buy a couple of pairs...

The military spec really is better than the standard ANZI rating.  Normally, though, getting that higher rating makes for a MUCH larger, clunkier set of glasses with a correspondingly larger price.  (Often due to the fact that the impact testing means that the frame and nosepiece for the lenses both have to withstand significant shearing impacts, and must be joined to the lenses much more strongly.)

Awhile back I read an article discussing the mechanical differences required of shooting glasses for the different rating levels.  I wonder if I can still find that?  It was a really good article.

Hm....

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »
I watched your videos and thought they were good. Wasn't dissing, just happened to see an older post about making or using tannerite or other binary boomers on this site and thought I would just pass along some info I picked up over the years of playing with them. Fun they are but also have a serious down side. Now I will just go back to my corner. ;D
D.R