< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: IDPA Rule 3.6.6  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
IDPA Rule 3.6.6
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:40 AM »
If the shooter has ammo remaining, not reloading to fire the last one or more rounds in a stage is an automatic FTDR penalty.

This is from the section on the use of cover, reloads and special situations such as hallways, rooms, windows, etc.

i think they're stipulating that if the shooter still has ammo on their person, they HAVE to reload the empty gun and engage the remaining targets to finish out the stage, otherwise they will be assessed the dreaded FTDR. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: IDPA Rule 3.6.6
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:13 AM »
If the shooter has ammo remaining, not reloading to fire the last one or more rounds in a stage is an automatic FTDR penalty.

This is from the section on the use of cover, reloads and special situations such as hallways, rooms, windows, etc.

i think they're stipulating that if the shooter still has ammo on their person, they HAVE to reload the empty gun and engage the remaining targets to finish out the stage, otherwise they will be assessed the dreaded FTDR. 

That's a holdover from a specific situation in which a person during a match decided that instead of taking the time to reload and shoot the last shot on the last target of the stage, they would just ignore the last shot needed and take the 2.5 second miss penalty, as their situation meant that taking the last shot would take more than 2.5 seconds, and thus make their score worse.

In other words, they were gaming, which is of course anathema in IDPA.    After all, if you haven't shot the bad guy two times, he'll still attack you and realism is what it is all about.  So trying to game it to make your score better but ignoring realism is a deliberate attempt to circumvent the intent of the stage, and thus you are evil and wrong.  Therefore, FTDR.

(No, seriously, that is what it is for.)

People had been giving the FTDR in the past for this, but there were arguments about it.  This now means that IDPA is being REALISTIC, and punishing those people who think it is merely a game to be won by using the rules to best advantage.

I'm still serious. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »
That's a holdover from a specific situation in which a person during a match decided that instead of taking the time to reload and shoot the last shot on the last target of the stage, they would just ignore the last shot needed and take the 2.5 second miss penalty, as their situation meant that taking the last shot would take more than 2.5 seconds, and thus make their score worse.

In other words, they were gaming, which is of course anathema in IDPA.    After all, if you haven't shot the bad guy two times, he'll still attack you and realism is what it is all about.  So trying to game it to make your score better but ignoring realism is a deliberate attempt to circumvent the intent of the stage, and thus you are evil and wrong.  Therefore, FTDR.

(No, seriously, that is what it is for.)

People had been giving the FTDR in the past for this, but there were arguments about it.  This now means that IDPA is being REALISTIC, and punishing those people who think it is merely a game to be won by using the rules to best advantage.

I'm still serious. 

Gamers.  Yes, they are evil and wrong.  I thought that was the driving force behind this rule.  :) 

When I first read this rule, I thought they, IDPA, were referring to ammo remaining in the gun itself and couldn't quite figure out what their reasoning was for a reload until I realized they were referring to any ammo on the person. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
I think its a good rule because it simulates real life and you need to keep going/reloading/moving or you will be DEAD !!! 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
I think its a good rule because it simulates real life and you need to keep going/reloading/moving or you will be DEAD !!! 

Absolutely.  As IDPA training tells us, each attacker will cease to be a threat after two shots (sometimes three, but we'll be told beforehand in those cases) so we must be certain to get exactly two good hits on each target.  If we do that, we will WIN THE FIGHT!

Anything less will get you killed on the streets.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
Yes, and don't forget the attackers will be wearing impenetrable body armor on all parts of their body except for their sternums!