< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Instructor Bob is the Bestest Instructor EVAR!!1!  (Read 8017 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Instructor Bob is the Bestest Instructor EVAR!!1!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »
Honest and serious question... Does the State audit the business besides doing undercover when a business is being investigated?

No idea at all.

I'll note:  Technically speaking, just because a class somewhere is taught in what we would all consider an unsafe fashion, doesn't actually mean that the State Patrol is able to pull certification.   What exactly the criterion are, I don't know--but from the point of what is required for certification in the first place (in terms of curriculum) there isn't any mention of "not being certified" for anything other than "not teaching the required curriculum" that I've seen.

That isn't a happy-making thing as far as safety issues, but it does mean that different instructors can teach the class in different ways which is often a good thing.

Far as I know, once a particular issue or complaint is brought up it becomes an internal process on the part of the State Patrol.  No idea what happens then.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
Does the State audit the business besides doing undercover when a business is being investigated?

NSP may (and has) enroll a trooper anonymously as student in a class. 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »
NSP may (and has) enroll a trooper anonymously as student in a class.
I've herd that but is that because of complaints or just a random drop in?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
Honest and serious question... Does the State audit the business besides doing undercover when a business is being investigated?

I witnessed a NSP Trooper show up to audit a class that was being brought to a range that I was just finishing up at. He was there because of complaints from previous students regarding this particular instructor.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:52 PM »
I witnessed a NSP Trooper show up to audit a class that was being brought to a range that I was just finishing up at. He was there because of complaints from previous students regarding this particular instructor.

Does that instructor still have their certification?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:29 AM »

I hope was at least "professional enough" to know a good class from a bad one.   ::) 

Some cops don't even know what model gun they are carrying.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:08 AM »

Thanks Chris.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »
Does that instructor still have their certification?

Fly

Yes he does still have his certification... He was pulled out of the middle of his classes range qualification and told that NSP was going to go back in there and inform his 12+ students that they paid for a class that they were all going to fail, because the Instructor was not following the required range qualification. Needless to say things turned around quickly in that class after the Instructor was sent back in.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 07:53:09 AM »
I hope was at least "professional enough" to know a good class from a bad one.   ::) 

Some cops don't even know what model gun they are carrying.

This particular NSP Trooper is very well versed in Firearms training.  :-)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
Just adding a post to note that "ziggy" hasn't even logged in to NFOA since his last post castigating me in this thread--which means that he didn't even log back in to check the response to his last post here.

Or more appropriately, he hasn't logged in from THAT account.

What a surprise, it seems likely to me that "ziggy" was a fake account set up for someone to use...

Offline ziggy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 08:10:56 PM »
Just adding a post to note that "ziggy" hasn't even logged in to NFOA since his last post castigating me in this thread--which means that he didn't even log back in to check the response to his last post here.

I'm curious if you understand how forum software works. On this forum you don't need to log on to read posts. Unless you've pulled the web server logs for the last couple years and analyzed all the web hits, you have no idea how often I've read posts on this forum.

This forum only requires you to log in if you want to create a thread or post a response. I didn't respond to your follow up post because you didn't post anything that I felt needed to be responded to.

In your previous replies to me you've said...

Quote from: jthhapkido
Oh, wait, this was just an attempt to get a dig in at me.
your point was merely to attempt to make me look bad by making insinuations about me
attempting to make me to be something I'm not.
What a surprise, it seems likely to me that "ziggy" was a fake account set up for someone to use...

When I read those quotes from your first replies, I assumed they were just dry sarcasm. Now that you've brought it up again, I'm not so sure. If you really think because someone disagrees with an opinion you wrote they're setting up fake accounts and are somehow "out to get you," that's actually pretty disconcerting.

In a previous response to me, you said...

Quote from: jthhapkido
...That's okay, we don't have to agree.

Uhhh...so if that's the case, why would wait three weeks and then bring it back up again?

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
I'm just getting around to reading the article.  Been busy with stuff.  Anyhoo... This is a really good point right here:

" ...The question is, why are you trusting these people’s opinions?  Do you know them?  Are they knowledgeable about the topic, enough to be able to tell the difference between a good instructor and a bad one?... "

I don't doubt that "ignorant reviewers" are a real phenomenon in the firearm training world, because I know the same thing happens with restaurant reviews. Ok weird analogy I know, but as a bit of a Bon Vivant, my humble opinion is that the local restaurant scene, well... sucks. There are only a couple places in town that even come close to "passable", but when you read the online reviews written by folks who drove into "the big city" to the state high school basketball tournament from the double-digit counties (where Pizza Hut is the only game in town) you'd think they had been served a meal by Jamie Oliver. 

Then there was the reviewer who complained that her egg roll wasn't warm and had some weird translucent wrapper like they hadn't even fried it.  It was a spring roll. She didn't know the difference. *Sigh*

So, yeah, you've got to really read through Internet reviews and key in on the ones that sound like the reviewer may have a modicum of intelligence and discernment.  That goes for all products and industries.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:36:40 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »
So, yeah, you've got to really read through Internet reviews and key in on the ones that sound like the reviewer may have a modicum of intelligence and discernment.  That goes for all products and industries.

For restaurant reviewers, first go through their history and see if they have every reviewed a fast food chain restaurant.  That should tell you if their opinion is valid.  :laugh:

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »
Upon further thought, I've edited this post to remove most of the stuff I originally was pointing out.  Mostly, because "don't feed the trolls" is something I have a hard time remembering.  But in an attempt to do so...

I'm curious if you understand how forum software works. On this forum you don't need to log on to read posts. Unless you've pulled the web server logs for the last couple years and analyzed all the web hits, you have no idea how often I've read posts on this forum.

True, it never occurred to me that someone wouldn't simply set up an auto-login for the forum, and come browse without being logged on.  Or ever posting.

[snip all the middle stuff I originally wrote]

I ask again:  Did you even READ the article that I wrote?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:41:08 AM by jthhapkido »

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »
folks who drove into "the big city" (SNIP) from the double-digit counties (where Pizza Hut is the only game in town) you'd think they had been served a meal by Jamie Oliver. 

WOW!  There is so much snobbery in that simple thought it boggles my mind.  I guess we don't need those damn hicks from the "double digit" counties voicing any opiinions.  Good thing we are also invested with thick skin or it might start a riot.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
folks who drove into "the big city" (SNIP) from the double-digit counties (where Pizza Hut is the only game in town) you'd think they had been served a meal by Jamie Oliver. 
who is Jamie  oliver? this whole thread is over my head somehow!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
who is Jamie  oliver? this whole thread is over my head somehow!

(I had to look up Oliver too.)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
WOW!  There is so much snobbery in that simple thought it boggles my mind.

And a bit of that was sarcastic to make a point (beyond the main point that, yeah, you have to take Internet "reviews" with a grain of sea salt.)  Someone comes along and says "people shouldn't hold a gun that way, and people shouldn't teach people to hold their gun that way" and someone will get defensive and say they're a snob. (Maybe not that word but that is what they'll think.) Or say, "oh you're just plugging your own business by ridiculing others."

Same way that someone says there is more to cuisine than Olive Garden and others will think they're a snob, 'though I deserve it.

Now (unlike me) I think the OP is very good about posting blogs and videos that aren't snobbish but do encourage people to focus on the aspects in life where they are NOT experts and realize there are people who DO know more about the subject. I appreciate him helping me know what I don't know. But human nature is still to recoil in insecurity and say... How dare anyone know more about something than me? How dare anyone have higher expectations and standards? How dare anyone propose that there's a better way?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
... I guess we don't need those damn hicks from the "double digit" counties voicing any opiinions.  Good thing we are also invested with thick skin or it might start a riot.
I started to laugh then I remembered that Sarpy is 59 county. :D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »
Sorry Mali, Sarpy has made it to the big time. 3 letters and 3 numbers.  ;D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan