< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is the WORST gun you've ever owned???  (Read 4816 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What is the WORST gun you've ever owned???
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
SemperFiGuy: I second that!

I bought a Rossi Model 462 2" snub nose in .357 Mag over two years ago. It worked fine for a while (multiple times to the range) and about 150 rounds through it. Then after about a year using the .357 rounds it would lock the cylinder and jam up after a few rounds. The .38's would work fine but with the mag loads it was jamming on me. I had to bash it against my knee to get the cylinder to swing out. It seems it only is good for 38's now.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
My worst gun was the Kel-Tec PF9 pistol in 9mm. I had bought it when it was pretty new on the market (about 6-8months). I really liked how small and slim it was...I could even carry it tucked away in my pajamas. However its performance on the range was a joke. Every time I fired, the magazine would pop out. I tried to put my pinkie under the mag and press against it to keep it in. That did not work either......with the recoil it still would pop out. I fired about 35 rounds that day and then decided to take it home and get rid of it. I bought this gun for concealed carry. Maybe for plinking the gun would be tolerable but I had no use for it. My Cousin then asked me to give it another chance so that he could try it out. So we went out again. Same thing happened again to him and this time another problem surfaced. It failed to fire twice. The times it failed to fire the primer had a faint dent in it. He only fired it about 15 times this time. I took it home and traded it in for the Rossi which as mentioned above turned out to be another problem child. The Rossi however seems ok with the .38 specials.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »
Reply to Dan Cirk:

Here's a thought on .357 revolver jams, whether in a Rossi or any other pistol.

Sometimes with a heavy .357 powder load and a light cannelure crimp--or no crimp at all--the recoil will cause the bullets to start backing out of their cartridge cases.   Then the bullet noses will jam against the revolver's frame and lock up the cylinder.

So--the bullets might have been a factor.

But----as we both know----the Rossi is still a weak piece of work.

Semper Fi
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:54:24 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:51 AM »
Thanks for the tip Semper Fi Guy. That is exactly what my uncle, a police officer, told me might be the case.

Offline Smitty65

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »
Phoenix 22 semi auto.  Worked fine at the range til one day it self destructed i e both safeties quit working at the same time. 

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
Worst firearm I've owned?  For me, it was a Walther P22.  It worked alright if I fed it premium, expensive mini-mags from CCI; but it FTFed, FTEed, and malfed constantly when I'd run bulk through it.  Though, I suppose it was a good handgun for practicing clearing drills...  ::)
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
A buddy had a p22 seemed like a decent gun, and liked the way it fit my hand, however, you are absolutely not alone, same with his, it was extremely high maintenance in the food dept.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline howlingwolf61

• NFOA Full Member
    • Christian Motorcyclist's Association
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 10:34:11 AM »
I had a small semi-auto 22, I think it was a p22 and it went full auto on me.  Pull the trigger once and it would fire 3 or 4 rounds. I took it back to the place of purchase (no longer in business) and they fixed it free of charge but I never trusted it again.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »
A pot metal skeleton framed Bronco 22lr single shot rifle back in 1980 when I was in Alaska. They made the same gun in a slightly larger frame that fired a .410 shotshell.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM