< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is the WORST gun you've ever owned???  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
What is the WORST gun you've ever owned???
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
I'll start the festivities. About 10yrs ago- in the midst of the Clinton AWB- I decided I wanted an AR. Being young, ignorant and foolish (is that redundant?) I bought the cheapest I could find: A new Hesse Arms HAR-15. If you are not familiar with the 'Hesse' brand google it or ask about it on ar15.com, where it's referred to as "the Yugo of firearms". To say it was a piece of crap is insulting to turds everywhere. The lower was cast aluminum and fit & finish was drunken monkey level. I attempted to fire about 3 mags through it- never more then 3 rounds without some sort of failure to load, fire or eject despite changing the mag. I learned my lesson, not having the heart to pass it on to some other poor sucker directly I sold it to a pawn shop for about a 20% loss. I have only sold a VERY few guns- but the Hesse hardly qualifies. They later changed their name (due to bad rep) to Vulcan and may have changed again. You've been warned. Who's next? 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 03:33:55 PM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: What is the WORST gun you've ever owned???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »
Ok, I'll jump in next!!

About 15-16 years ago(long before I turned into a gun-nut), my new wife and I went to the Westfair, IA gun show.  I wanted to get her a little .22 semi-auto pistol, and by little...I mean cheap.  Well, I found the perfect specimen...a brand new chrome with pink grips Lorcin .22 pistol.  What a bargain for only $79 plus tax!!  I thought we had hit the jackpot...that is, until we tried to fire it.  Oh, it fired alright, but on the second or third round the firing pin also pierced the rim of the case and proceeded to powder-burn my index finger and that area between the finger and thumb.  Kinda hurt a bit.  I figured that it was just a bad round or something and decided to just go ahead and try to finish out the rest of the mag.  The rest of that mag went fine, but it happened twice more on the next mag.  So much for that day, I was done getting my hand burnt.  Luckily, I had no more problems with that gun as it was stolen less than a month later.  I hope the damn thing blew up in the thief's hand.

Lesson learned, 99% of the time you get what you paid for.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:36:31 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »
While there are no BAD guns........ some are less good than others....... they need more work......

I have one such money pit: A bubba-ed Gewehr 88.  A guy gave it to me for free...... but fixing the headspace (reciever and bolt SN did not match), getting the hacksawed barrel squared/crowned, buying the unobtainium alloy ammo and then brass,bullets, and dies for it set me back further than a new Remmy 700 in a useful caliber would  have.......

.....come to think of it, I have a minor collection of such basket cases....... guns in need of a gun doctor, but fixing them would cost more than they are worth.........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »
I bought a Chinese Type 53 Mosin for $35.  As Mosins go they're somewhat rare, but this one was worth precisely $35.  It was covered in Chinese dirt and the barrel had only a trace of rifling left.

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »
That would be my Ishapore Enfield 2A1 in 7.62X51. Does not feed from the magazine at all, has canted sights, and very generous headspace.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
Taurus PT-111 Millennium

My Bryco Jennings chrome .380 was a fine piece of machinery compared to the Taurus

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:23:07 AM »
Ouch- that is NOT a compliment. A friend  bought a Jennings .380 nib (for $69 IIRC) it was awful.
I've had good luck with taurus revolvers- never had a taurus semi-auto, but have heard/read they are hit & miss.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:37 AM »
I once had a Taurus revolver as well. Tracker 5-Shot .45 acp.

It was a decent affordable revolver. Lesson learned with that one though, make sure to use loc-tite otherwise hot loads make things come loose...... Like the cylinder falling out  ;D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
Well I feel pretty fortunate that I have never had a bad one. I guess the worst would be a Mossberg 12 gauge that I bought for Pheasant when I was 15. it weighed about 12 lbs, and was soon gone in favor of a light 20ga
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »
I know that there are people out there that swear by them, but the worst I ever has was a Jennings .22LR.  I just could not get the thing to eject the used casings, had to hand remove the case after every shot.  I kept it about a month and then gave it to a friend.  He has cursed me ever since.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
I'll jump in with some Taurus hate -

I had a 24/7 Pro 9mm that was reliable for about a year and fed all types of factory ammo.  After that, I started getting light strikes.  Sold it and bought a CZ SP-01.
NRA Life Member.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
I had a Raven .25 Auto. It fit in a pocket just fine and it was actually pretty reliable. But...

I had to hold it "just right". I could only wrap my middle finger around the grip, with my ring and pink fingers beneath the grip. If I tried holding it with my middle and ring fingers, when the slide cycled, it would open up a gash on my thumb like you wouldn't believe.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »
I had a Raven .25 Auto. It fit in a pocket just fine and it was actually pretty reliable. But...

ROTF  I have one of those in my vault right now! 

I worry about the safety on these, it just does not seem to be all that ...  uhhh  .... safe.  Pretty wimpy from what I can see.  But not to worry, you gotta be a mule to actually pull the trigger.  Get to be every bit of 15 pounds trigger pull on mine.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »
Don't have mine anymore. I'm pretty thick headed. I sold it for $20 after it cut me the 3rd time. ;D

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
Hi Chris Z :  I purchased a NEW Taurus PT111 Ti, The model with a tungsten slide.  After just a short time the magazine latch broke and would not hold a mag. in place.  I called taurus, with absolutely no reply, found the name of the CEO and wrote him a certified letter return receipt requested.  He received the letter,  no reply.  I then made photogrphs of the firearm with serial no. and model no. and once again described the problem, even showed the vacant mag. release slot and sent these certified mail.  After two more mailings I gave up.  I'm a retired tool and die maker, have my own small machine shop, so, I made a release button.     
You may guess that I'll NEVER,NEVER own another Taurus.            Poor Man
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
S0 much for Life Time warranty.

Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 08:23:46 PM »
S0 much for Life Time warranty.

The reason I got rid of my Taurus rather than putz around with the warranty is that Taurus has a reputation of keeping a gun for 3 months, not repairing it, and sending it back.  With shipping coming in over $50, I cut my losses and bought the gun I should have bought in the first place.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
Rem 700 ADL 25-06, horrible trigger, and doesn't shoot ANYTHING well...

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
Intratec TEC-22 Rim Fire Race Gun

Never once went through a full magazine, no matter what ammo I fed it.

Was so bad that  I traded it for a pocket knife.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
Any

Revolver

By

ROSSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer