< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR-15 stripped lowers  (Read 4041 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
AR-15 stripped lowers
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
I've been thinking I'd like to try my hand at 3-gun matches some day, so I'm thinking of getting an AR.  I have a lot of irons in the fire right now, so I probably wouldn't get moving on it for another year or two.  My plan is to buy a stripped lower receiver and start gradually acquiring parts for a build.  Is there any difference in lower receivers between the different manufacturers, assuming you don't buy something that's total junk like a Hesse?  I don't know much about AR's, but it seems to me the upper receiver/barrel and the components you put into the lower would have more of an effect on accuracy and reliability than the lower itself, since it's just a machined chunk of aluminum.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: AR-15 stripped lowers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:40:31 AM »
And so it begins...

But you are right, a properly machined lower receiver forged from  the proper alloy, and anodized properly is all you need.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »
Heh....I know starting a "best" AR-15 discussion is akin to talking politics at work, but I do value the input of people on this board more than most of the junk I'd find in a Google search.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:27:39 PM »
You can check out my AR's some time...

http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=222.0

and yes, LJUnaTIC and I share the same mind
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:19:51 AM »
Anything you could ever possibly want to know about AR15 lower receivers:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

In general, staying away from Hesse/Vulcan, Olympic(or any other cast unit) and any plastic composite other than Cavalry Arms, will get you a pretty good lower.

EDIT:  Great place to find lightly-used parts at decent prices: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=119
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:08:45 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »
Thank for the links - Dan, I like the last AR in your post.  That's similar to what I'm thinking of building some day.  Just a simple flat top receiver model.  I'm thinking primarily for use with optics, but with a flip up rear sight for backup.

How do you guys like the collapsible stocks?  I've never used one, but I like the look of the standard fixed stock more.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
The collapsible stock makes it much easier to fit the rifle to different users and types of outer wear, and on the 18" I have I can adjust easier for prone position use with a scope
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 12:13:54 PM »
I really like the Magpul CTR stock I have on my "go-to" midlength AR.  They lock up real nice and tight and don't wobble at all.

If you are going to the Seward gun show next weekend, this guy may be there.  He is a NFOA member, not sure if he's on the forum yet or not.
CMMG makes good lowers.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=684264
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 06:56:26 AM »
Building an AR is easy to do but you have to pay close attention to the Gas tube.  Usually takes 30-45 minutes with the correct tools.

Only 4 companies make AR lower receivers-MMS,CMT,LMT and LAR.  CMMG lowers are the same as RRA,Bushmaster,DPMS,EA or any of the others.  Lower receivers are contracted through these companies to produce "a run" of receivers with their markings on them. 

The quality is the Same no matter whose receiver you use.  The prices differ due to the names or logos?? 

For information on who makes AR lowers, go to AR15.com

Thanks!
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
I have been enjoying following this thread and learning from every post.
While owning an AR I have wanted to build one myself this thread is fueling that fire.

Thanks to all involved.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
It bears mentioning that billet lowers generally serve no functional purpose other than looking cool while draining your bank account.

I've seen YHM lowers around the gun shows lately for $100-$125.  I'd consider one of those.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
I've sold several Superior Arms receivers and no problems!!  The lower receiver houses your fire controls.  All the pressure and stress to the rifle is in the chamber, barrel extension and bolt upon recoil.

YHM are good receivers also-didn't want to take anything away from you Rich!

ARs are great rifles!  If there's no ammo then paper-weights, fence posts or yard sticks would be a good use!!

Just kidding!!  This is a great blog and great to have everyone's input on this subject!  I enjoy reading what all the members have to say!!
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
Well, I need to save up another few hundred bucks to finish buying parts for my custom Martini build, then a few hundred more to cover my gunsmith's labor, so it will be a while before I can even afford to pick up a lower.  Maybe if the Christmas Bonus fairy is kind to me this year....

I'm thinking of buying the lower, then saving my pennies for a Del-Ton or CMMG upper.  I don't need top of the line, just serviceable.  Not sure if I want a 16" barrel or longer, but I do think I want a vented free float tube, and I know I want a flat top upper with forward assist.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 06:51:23 AM »
Hello Mr. K,
I put an AK together for DCM/CMP type shooting just this last summer. I went with a package deal from DPMS that included the lower, parts kit for same and a six position adjustable butt stock. All for just a bit over $200 if I remember right. When you get ready to buy go have a talk with Jeff at Nebraska Gun here in Lincoln. He is a good sorce of information and great to do busness with. I have not had the chance to really get out and shoot the rifle much but so far no problems. OH yea, the upper is DPMS as well, its one of their 20 inch 1 in 8 twist DCM approved dorp ons.