< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I'm A Goner.  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
I'm A Goner.
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:02:11 AM »
The dark side has claimed another victim.  I'm dropping the slide with the slide stop and moving on little "Groucho" steps, all in an effort to rack up a few more points. 

Uncle Clint is going to kill me.  (If I don't get killed on the streets first.)  :)

Oh well.  At least I'm looking at the sights for a change.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: I'm A Goner.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
The dark side has claimed another victim.  I'm dropping the slide with the slide stop and moving on little "Groucho" steps, all in an effort to rack up a few more points. 

NOOOOooooooooooo!!

Pretty soon you'll be lightening recoil spring weights, and running downloaded ammo for less recoil, you gamer!

Uncle Clint is going to kill me.  (If I don't get killed on the streets first.)  :)

Oh well.  At least I'm looking at the sights for a change.  :)

There is that.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
I'm dropping the slide with the slide stop

Yes, but your other Uncle (Mas) will approve .....

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
I'm dropping the slide with the slide stop

Yes, but your other Uncle (Mas) will approve .....

...and it really is a LOT faster, isn't it?  Of course, now that tac reloads are useful again in IDPA, it suddenly means we have a LOT more choices to make...

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
...and it really is a LOT faster, isn't it?  Of course, now that tac reloads are useful again in IDPA, it suddenly means we have a LOT more choices to make...

I don't practice tac loads much.  As in, not at all.  Maybe I should be.  But yes, the slide stop method is much faster. 

The overhand slide rack bit works on all semi's.  No fumbling to locate the slide stop.  But I'm not sure I'd have a reload on me for a battlefield pickup.  :)

Anyway, it's all about points and time now.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
I don't practice tac loads much.  As in, not at all.  Maybe I should be.

I've got to admit, from a self-defense perspective, I think spending time learning a fast tac reload is.....stupid.  Just flat-out stupid. (If I was LEO or military, I'd have a potentially different opinion.)  But now with moving reloads, suddenly those tac reloads will make a difference in IDPA...

But yes, the slide stop method is much faster. 

The overhand slide rack bit works on all semi's.  No fumbling to locate the slide stop.  But I'm not sure I'd have a reload on me for a battlefield pickup.  :)

A lot of TACTICAL! trainers seem to miss that point, I've noticed.

Anyway, it's all about points and time now.  :)

Gamer.

GAMER.

So---going down to Arkansas for their state match?  April 18th, only 6 hours away from here in Berryville, at IDPA Club #1.....probably even a couple of CDP guys to shoot against.  :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

GAMER.

So---going down to Arkansas for their state match?  April 18th, only 6 hours away from here in Berryville, at IDPA Club #1.....probably even a couple of CDP guys to shoot against.  :)

CDP shooters in Berryville AR???  I don't believe it! 

I've been giving it some thought though.  It would be quite an experience.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »
CDP shooters in Berryville AR???  I don't believe it! 

I've been giving it some thought though.  It would be quite an experience.

I sent in my application quite awhile ago---and while they have indeed cashed my check, I have heard nothing from them.  And can't find any info on the match OTHER than the application itself.  [sigh]  I suppose I should email them for details, but I figured that a STATE-LEVEL match would actually have a website, or at least some match information somewhere.

Grr.

Been killed on the street yet? Doing that gamer stuff?  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:33:23 AM by jthhapkido »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
I sent in my application quite awhile ago---and while they have indeed cashed my check, I have heard nothing from them.  And can't find any info on the match OTHER than the application itself.  [sigh]  I suppose I should email them for details, but I figured that a STATE-LEVEL match would actually have a website, or at least some match information somewhere.

Grr.

Been killed on the street yet? Doing that gamer stuff?  :)

I would be moderately PO'ed over the lack of comms stuff.  That kind of thing is unsettling although I don't believe a club in the birthplace of IDPA would be up to no good. 

I was almost killed 7x last week alone.  Moving on little gamer steps marks me as a prime target.  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
I would be moderately PO'ed over the lack of comms stuff.  That kind of thing is unsettling although I don't believe a club in the birthplace of IDPA would be up to no good. 
Oh, I don't think they are up to no good--not at all.

It WOULD be nice for a state-level match to actually let competitors know some details of the match, though.

I was almost killed 7x last week alone.  Moving on little gamer steps marks me as a prime target.  :)

It is distinctive.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
If you were a true gamer you'ed be shooting a Glock or M&P so that driving the magazine home into the well would release the slide.  Works 100 percent but once in a great while the upward force and sudden stop that releases the slide will make a cartridge stand straight up in the magazine of course causing a jam.   Now that I am shooting a 9mm 1911 again smacking the magazine home does nothing.

I never believed that fine motor skills dribble cause I always have used the slide release, if needed one can alway revert to the racking of the slide.

Without fine motor skills I would never be able to masturbate so it must work.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
If you were a true gamer you'ed be shooting a Glock or M&P so that driving the magazine home into the well would release the slide.  Works 100 percent but once in a great while the upward force and sudden stop that releases the slide will make a cartridge stand straight up in the magazine of course causing a jam.

Huh.  I've seen plenty of XDs auto-forward (not 100% at all, but occasionally) and M&Ps every once in awhile, but the Glocks I've seen (while I've seen it happen sometimes) haven't been anywhere close to 100%.  I hammer my mags in there, and almost none of the time do my reloads drop the slide. (I shoot Glocks.)

I don't think I've ever seen a mag load make the round stand up causing a jam in a Glock/M&P/XD.  Have you noticed it being more likely in any particular type of gun?

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
The only time I have had the round stand up is when I jammed hard on purpose to make sure the slide released.  I blame it on the game.

No matter how much I try I can not get this to work.

Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:02 AM »
At least he is honest that this is more gimmick than tactic.
The Cool factor is high but I don't think I will try to learn this for the future. :)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »
At least he is honest that this is more gimmick than tactic.
The Cool factor is high but I don't think I will try to learn this for the future. :)

When the first video of Romero doing that in a match appeared on the web, I think a LOT of us damaged our shoulders trying to make it work, just for the coolness factor.  :)