< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Man Vs Man Steel Competition - May 17, 2015 @ ENGC  (Read 2435 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Man Vs Man Steel Competition - May 17, 2015 @ ENGC
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »
Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters will host the annual Man Vs Man Steel Competition on May 17th! This match is open to the public and will be held at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club (Directions) near Louisville.

Online Pre-Registration: https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-annual-man-vs-man-match/register

Please pre-register if possible! It gives us a much better idea of how much food we need to provide for competitors!
Please note that even if you pre-register you still have to be at the range and pay the match fee before 8:30AM the day of the match!

Match Fee: $20. This covers entry for one pistol, and one or both shotgun divisions. Lunch is also included. Bring $1 bills for the side match plate rack.

If you want to watch and eat, the cost is $5. Free to watch without food.

There will be two divisions for Pistol (Open [optics and/or compensators], Limited [everything else]) and two divisions for Shotgun (Semi-auto, Pump).

The match essentially pits two shooters against each other with the same number of steel targets. The last target to be shot for each shooter overlaps and whoever gets the last target down first (all other targets must be down first or you lose by default!) wins. Pistol matches will be double-elimination and shotgun matches are single elimination. That means if you bring a pistol and two shotguns (one pump, one semi-auto), you will get a minimum of 4 runs for the day.

For the pistol match, you will always start with the gun loaded and holstered with hands in the “surrender position.” For the shotgun match, shotguns start loaded and held at low ready. Once you hear the start signal, draw and engage all the targets as quickly as you can! The person next to you is trying to beat you to that last target!

This is definitely one of the most fun and exhilarating competitions of the year. Of all of the matches I’ve done, none get your heart racing as fast as this one. The shooter that can keep their attention on their shooting and not on their opponent (and the constant shooting and sound of steel being hit) will almost always win.

This is a simple but challenging match. There will be no movement or reloading on the clock (unless you miss a lot [ask me how I know]) but it will test your accuracy, speed, and ability to manage stress.

Schedule Is As Follows:
  • Setup and Registration will start at 7:15AM.
  • Registration closes at 8:30AM but you definitely want to show up sooner if you can.
  • Brackets should be completed by 9:00AM.
  • Shooters’ Meeting starts at 9:00AM.
  • Match begins immediately following the Shooters’ Meeting.
  • The pistol match will be shot in the morning, ending at lunch time.
  • The shotgun match will begin after lunch.
  • There will also be a side stage plate rack that you can shoot, so you can still have a lot of fun shooting even if you lose early. $1/run, as many runs as you want.
Equipment You Will Need:
  • A handgun chambered in 9x19mm or larger.
  • A holster for your handgun. It is highly recommended you get one designed specifically for your gun and not a universal holster.
  • A pump and/or semi-auto shotgun.
  • Plenty of ammunition for the guns you bring. If you win a lot you will shoot a lot!
ENGC range rule: No shot larger than #7 in your shotgun. That means that only #7 shot and higher number birdshot types are allowed (#8 shot is very commonly used).

Video of how it works:

If you have any questions please reply to this thread or PM me! I will respond as soon as I can. :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Man Vs Man Steel Competition - May 17, 2014 @ ENGC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
Here's another video of various people from a number of years ago.  Ignore the wood shoot starting at 2 minutes or so---we don't do that anymore because we don't have time.

The Man-vs-Man is a ton of fun.  And if you have friends who are convinced they are great shooters, bring 'em!  There is no movement and, no reloading on the clock in this match---you just stand there, draw, and mow 'em down before your opponent knocks his (or hers) down, so you don't need anything other than straight shooting ability.

It's a blast.  Seriously, it is a ton of fun.

Each matchup in the bracket is best-two-out-of-three, and like Sean said, the pistol is double-elimination.  (You don't HAVE to shoot the shotgun matches if you don't want---plenty of people just shoot pistol.  Others shoot pistol and one shotgun.  Some crazy people shoot pistol and both shotgun types.  Completely up to you!)  So---even if you ONLY do pistol, AND lose both times (which you won't, will you?) you'll still get a minimum of 4 runs at the steel. 

...and lunch is included in your fee, and Edie makes a FANTASTIC lunch.  So you really want to do this.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:33:19 PM by jthhapkido »
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
How many targets for the shotgun stage?  My shotgun holds 5 rounds max  :'(

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »

Normally---six.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:45:49 PM »
By the way, this competition occurs in 2015, on May 17th. 

Not 2014.

Just noticed that.  :)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Man Vs Man Steel Competition - May 17, 2015 @ ENGC
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:59 AM »
By the way, this competition occurs in 2015, on May 17th. 

Not 2014.

Just noticed that.  :)

Wondering why it says that for the replies but not for my opening post?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:00:53 AM »
What kind of shotgun?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
What kind of shotgun?

Ithaca 37 pump

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
Ithaca 37 pump
I was hoping you would say 870 :(

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »
Please come help setup for the Man Vs Man steel challenge this Saturday starting at 4PM and going until sundown. There is a good bit of setup for this match because of all the steel and required calibration!

The more people we get to help, the faster we'll get done!

Hope to see you all there!

Please make sure you bring drinks for the match! The club will be providing a bit of water but not a ton! Please hydrate! Dehydration is no fun.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:46:13 PM by SeanN »

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor