< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun and Machine in Omaha - Anybody know them?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Gun and Machine in Omaha - Anybody know them?
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
I am waffling back and forth between sending a Ruger MKII off to Gem-Tech to have the barrel threaded (they will guarantee threads are concentric to bore, and they built the suppressor - if I get baffle strikes they will make it right) or having Gun and Machine on Western St here in Omaha do it.

Has anyone worked with Gun and Machine? Do they know what they are doing? A brief discussion over the phone sounded promising, but I have no first or second hand experience with them.

Thanks!

/rl

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Gun and Machine in Omaha - Anybody know them?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »
Phoned and spoke with the owner 15 years experience.
Friendly conversation was had.
Does have FFL Licence requirement for Gunsmith I believe, is not a Class III Licence holder.

Gun ans Machine
8330 Western Avenue,
Omaha, NE 68114
(402) 393-1911
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
Thanks, Randy. I'm hoping to find someone who has had word done by him.

I called him early in the spring asking about it. He said he could do the work, and sounded like a decent guy. I know he's been in the phone book for years. I will probably have to give him a call and stop by to see him. I'd much rather give my money to a local than send it out to Oregon, but I'd also like to be reasonably certain I'm not going to knock the baffles out of my can with the first shot...

/rl
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:47:04 PM by rluening »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:46:12 AM »
The Ruger .22lr pistol is an easy one to thread.  A gunsmith might have threaded 1000guns in his lifetime for muzzle brakes and flash hiders that are 2" long, but a silencer needs to be aligned enough for the bullet to make it 6" or more.  Can not help you about this shop, I have seen them listed in phone book, but never have found their shop when I looked for them.  The alignment is easy to check, once the silencer is threaded on, peek through the bore center the bore exit visually concentric to the chamber of the pistol, with it aligned like this if you can see any aspect of the silencer while peeking straight through the bore then it is crooked.

Gemtech is based in Idaho, I could be wrong but never heard of them doing threading work in Oregon.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Idaho... Oregon... whatever! Either way it's kind of a hassle to ship.

I talked to Gun & Machine. I will probably stop in there Monday. Will report back.

/rl
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:19:22 PM by rluening »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
Omaha Gun and Machine....... Fred Ragle, Proprietor? 

I had Gewehr 88 Mauser headspaced for me by him..... he had done other Mausers, and offered to do it for $100 ..... it turned out to be a lot more complicated than doing, say, a K98....... it took him forever, but he got it done at the agreed on price.

He also recrowned the barrel, and put front and rear sights on it for $250........ accuracy is not bad at all, for a 100+ year old rifle that has seen the abuse this one has.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »

Has anyone worked with Gun and Machine? Do they know what they are doing? A brief discussion over the phone sounded promising, but I have no first or second hand experience with them.

Thanks!

/rl

As far as I know, there is no "they"...... just Fred.  He struck me as a good guy.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.