< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Tom Givens in a podcast with Mike Seeklander...  (Read 1653 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Tom Givens in a podcast with Mike Seeklander...
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Excellent.  Well worth a listen.  (Podcast of April 17, 2015.)

Yes, it goes for 50 minutes.  Seriously, though, give it a listen.  Seriously good stuff.

http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Tom Givens in a podcast with Mike Seeklander...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
Givens is a no BS kind of guy...Number one thing I took from the lesson is Get your gear squared away and carry every day, don't forfeit your life because it is inconvenient to go armed
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »
I finally found time to listen to Givens' comments. Below is a summary of what I got out of them.

Givens' credentials are impressive:
  • 24 years in law enforcement.
  • 35 years teaching self defense.
  • Of 65 students attacked by criminals, 62 survived with only 3 wounded. The 3 that died were unarmed at the time.
Since his data are based on civilian, not LEO, incidents, his conclusions are different:
  • Most attacks occur away from home. Most popular location is a parking lot.
  • Although most attacks on LEOs occur at close range, the opposite is true for civilians. Many attacks on LEOs occur as they interview or arrest suspects. Civilians don't do that.
  • Attacks rarely occur in dark or low light environments. None of his students ever used a flashlight during a fight.
  • Criminals anticipate subservience from victims. Stepping quickly to the side and drawing your own weapon takes the advantage away from the criminal because he now must react to you instead of the other way around.
  • The effective target area is an 8 inch circle in the center of the chest between collar bones and sternum. The criminal may not even notice peripheral hits. Head shots weren't mentioned.
  • Instinctive, point shooting doesn't work. Missing wastes more time (and ammunition) than raising your weapon to eye level and using your sights so that you get good hits.

Aside from the usual comments about situational awareness and carrying regularly, Givens' advice boils down to learning to draw your weapon from concealment, get reliable hits on an 8 inch target at 25 yards and accomplish this as quickly possible. To develop muscle memory, practice at home ending in dry firing.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »
The thing about low light is the bad guys need light to assess potential victims.  So I believe that explains the lack of low light encounters for civvies. 

Still, a good light is something to consider carrying.  If nothing else, it amplifies your punches.  And a hot beam of light in the eyes may make a potential threat rethink their plans. 

I would also recommend Ballistic Radio podcasts. Tom Givens has been a guest there a few times as well as Claude Werner, William Aprill, Jeff Gonzales and many others. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:11:54 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »
Aside from the usual comments about situational awareness and carrying regularly, Givens' advice boils down to learning to draw your weapon from concealment, get reliable hits on an 8 inch target at 25 yards and accomplish this as quickly possible. To develop muscle memory, practice at home ending in dry firing.

I'd agree with your comments about his conclusions with the caveat that in his opinion (don't remember if he said it in the podcast, this is from reading some of his other material) most of your time should be spent working 8" circles from 5-10 yards, with occasional practice out to 25 yards. 

Also:  How to draw QUICKLY from concealment. :)

And dryfire makes a huge difference.

(I'd also agree with Lorimor regarding the flashlight.  Handy thing to have all the time.  And the gun is not always the only possibility, or even the best one.)

Given's book (the third updated edition of which just came out) is well worth reading.  ("Fighting Smarter")

There's just a big difference between LEO, MIL, and citizen self-defense situations.  Sure, learning MIL/LEO techniques aren't a bad thing at all.  However, the PRIORITIES for training are different, and training at shooting on the move, use of cover, sul, high ready, etc---just aren't as important for citizen self-defense practice.  Doesn't mean learning them is bad--but they just aren't priorities.

First you've got to have the gun, get it out fast, and get shots on target reliably under stress.  Seems pretty straightforward, and yet I know a LOT of people who take "advanced" MIL and LEO-based technique courses when their draw/shoot skills just aren't that solid yet.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
Givens' DVD where he analyzes 8 or so situations involving his students is worth your time too. 

http://icestore.us/DVDs-Self-Defense-Training/Lessons-from-the-Street.html
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
Givens' DVD where he analyzes 8 or so situations involving his students is worth your time too. 

http://icestore.us/DVDs-Self-Defense-Training/Lessons-from-the-Street.html

Agreed.  Some outstanding stuff there.  If I had time, I'd show that in ever CCW Lifestyle class I teach.  :)