< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 3Gun Equipment Rule Question  (Read 892 times)

Offline Dakafall

• NFOA Full Member
3Gun Equipment Rule Question
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:30:53 AM »
I stumbled across the See All Open Sight the other day and was wondering if it would be legal to use on a rifle as an offset optic similar to irons while still remaining in Tac Ops. I know NSSF allows it to be run in their limited division and the reasoning that was explained to me was that unlike a red dot, there is a very narrow window where you can actually see the triangle. You must line up the rear lens with the fiber optic then cut the target in half with the tip of the triangle making aiming more like using  pistol sights/irons than a red dot where the dot is super imposed on the target. Also since you are not looking through an optical lenses or a refracting window like a scope or a reflex sight. You are looking over an enhanced view of a fiber optic element.  Opinions?

https://seeallopensight.com/

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: 3Gun Equipment Rule Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:25:36 AM »
I stumbled across the See All Open Sight the other day and was wondering if it would be legal to use on a rifle as an offset optic similar to irons while still remaining in Tac Ops.

[snip]

You must line up the rear lens with the fiber optic then cut the target in half with the tip of the triangle making aiming more like using  pistol sights/irons than a red dot where the dot is super imposed on the target. Also since you are not looking through an optical lenses or a refracting window like a scope or a reflex sight. You are looking over an enhanced view of a fiber optic element.  Opinions?

Given that it uses lenses to change your view of the sightmark, my bet is that it would be considered a secondary optic in your example, and put you in Open division.  It isn't that different from an unmagnified red dot (especially a fiber-optic or tritium-based dot) which is treated as an optic in Multigun.  (Granted, for a different reason.  Unmagnified red dots are optics due to the electronic circuitry, but this would be an optic due to having a lens.)

This quote here, from their website:  "Since a See All Open Sight isn’t an optical sight (the target is not viewed or enhanced optically, only the sight recticle is) it’s legal any where open sights with fiber optic elements are."

...actually makes it an optic from a Multigun viewpoint.  Since it admits to using a lens to enhance the sight reticle, that's it. 

The applicable rule is: 
2.1.4.2 “Optical/electronic sights” - aiming devices fitted to a firearm that uses electronic circuitry and/or lenses.

Now, this is just MY opinion, so I'd suggest submitting the question to the ENPS committee to get their opinion before trying it at a MG match, by emailing it to John V. (match director) and copying it to Tom E. (Multigun Coordinator) using the emails at:  http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/committee.html

If you get one, make sure to look me up at a match, because the concept looks pretty cool.  I'd be interested to see how it works!  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com