< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What's With IDPA SO Training?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
What's With IDPA SO Training?
« on: May 25, 2015, 12:47:39 PM »
Or the lack of it.............

Anyhow, a significantly different approach to Safety/Range Officer training seems to exist between our two major handgun Shoot-and-Scoot organizations, IDPA and USPSA.

For example, if you want USPSA RO training, you find a class, sign up for it, go to class, pass the tests, and become a USPSA RO.  (Then there's just a Whole Lot to learn and practical skills to build after the class is over, but that's another entirely separate story.  It takes a purposeful apprenticeship to build RO/SO skills, even after class training.)

From what I understand about IDPA, the number of SOs in a state and/or region is limited, application is through the Area/State IDPA officials, and there are more hoops through which to jump.

Seems like IDPA doesn't really want to grow, because it's hard to run IDPA matches without IDPA SOs, which are deliberately limited in number.  And when's the last time an accessible IDPA SO training class was offered around these parts?

Am I missing anything here?

sfg
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:04:06 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What's With IDPA SO Training?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »
I'm sure Aldo will answer for your SFG. But during the last indoor match he went through what his plans are to get more SO trained. Like you said it seems to be a selected group that gets to be trained as SO. He said he has a group of regulars that he had been training during the indoor matchs. He said he is planning on holding a SO course in the near future for this group of people. Those people are actually from several areas and he hopes to start having matches in Omaha GI and Columbus. I would be interested in taking the course. One I think it would be range safety experience and two I would like to help out More when I'm at a march.

I hope that they can get some more outdoor matches going near Lincoln With IDPA and Uspsa some time in the close future. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
The subtext of my original message has to do with the lack of IDPA programs in the Omaha area.   Aldo is just one (fine) guy, and it's about all he can do to promote programs in Lincoln, along with everything else on his plate.  So he can't be expected to cover all of Eastern Nebraska by himself.

We once had a very active IDPA shooting group here in Omaha, but it closed up about five years ago when the Bullet Hole asked the group to leave due to the BHs intentions to convert the IDPA space and time to open public shooting.  Sure took the fun out of Tuesday evenings.  We could reactivate IDPA in Omaha Metro, but it takes dedicated certified SOs to do so.   If there are any such qualified folks in the area, it's not evident.   The USPSA group does a fine job with their branch of the sport; however, venues for additional shooters are needed in Omaha Metro.

It's good to hear that plans are cooking for more IDPA SOs.   Can't come soon enoug
h.

sfg
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:54:19 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:14:46 PM »
The subtext of my original message has to do with the lack of IDPA programs in the Omaha area.   Aldo is just one (fine) guy, and it's about all he can do to promote programs in Lincoln, along with everything else on his plate.  So he can't be expected to cover all of Eastern Nebraska by himself.

We once had a very active IDPA shooting group here in Omaha, but it closed up about five years ago when the Bullet Hole asked the group to leave due to the BHs intentions to convert the IDPA space and time to open public shooting.  Sure took the fun out of Tuesday evenings.  We could reactivate IDPA in Omaha Metro, but it takes dedicated certified SOs to do so.   If there are any such qualified folks in the area, it's not evident.   The USPSA group does a fine job with their branch of the sport; however, venues for additional shooters are needed in Omaha Metro.

It's good to hear that plans are cooking for more IDPA SOs.   Can't come soon enoug
h.

sfg
One of the prospects is from the metro area or close to Omaha. Could not tell you his name but I know he shots a 1911 :P. Once again during the last match they said that Take Aim would like to host matches but like you said Also needs help. Bullet is his partner crime from what I understand. I appreciate what they do. I've been involved in similar small organizations that are trying to take off and it's not easy. I commend those two for building things up with limited resources.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »
SFG ... your concerns have been noted and pass on to "Godfather". 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
SFG ... your concerns have been noted and pass on to "Godfather".

Good news, of course.

I'm one of Aldo's fans and do hope that he gets some help in his endeavors to spread the gospel of IDPA.

sfg

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 07:59:19 AM »
I'm trying to find an SO training class as close as possible to Nebraska to limit the travel time/distances involved.  When and if I can find one, I'll pass on the info. 

The Columbus Rifle Club club officers are itching to get it rolling here but obviously we need SO's to get it off the ground. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
I'm trying to find an SO training class as close as possible to Nebraska to limit the travel time/distances involved.  When and if I can find one, I'll pass on the info. 

The Columbus Rifle Club club officers are itching to get it rolling here but obviously we need SO's to get it off the ground.
Is Ron not looking to host a class?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
Is Ron not looking to host a class?

Ron's a busy guy and hasn't had time to host a class.  I'm looking for alternatives.  CRC is looking at me to get things rolling, so that's what I'm trying to do.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »

Ron's a busy guy and hasn't had time to host a class.  I'm looking for alternatives.  CRC is looking at me to get things rolling, so that's what I'm trying to do.
I agree he is. Honestly it's one of the downfall of IDPA Nebraska is the fact that the whole thing rests on him, bullet, and some help from a couple of other individuals.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »
Yoh, yoh, yoh. Aldo here about the IDPA SO training.

Yes, there is going to be training in the very near future. However, the initial group/groups will be based by "regular" participation in IDPA matches.

Thus, if there are folks who are interested in SO training, they can come to the IDPA Nebraska indoor matches and/or have a documented history of regular participation in IDPA matches.

If they come to IDPA Nebraska matches, folks are being assigned as SO-trainees by serving in the SO-strongside and SO-scorekeeper positions under my supervision as Match Director.  In addition, these folks have also been involved in designing the Course of Fire for upcoming matches and submitting them to me for review/edits. Also, folks have been coming early to the match to help me set up the CoF so that they can be involved in the nuances of ensuring an appropriate setup per the IDPA rules, just as in any other shooting sport.

Having folks serve in all 4 of those capacities allows me to develop a list of folks to whom I can invite to become an IDPA SO because I am confident that they KNOW AND UNDERSTAND the IDPA rules. Now, having said that, it's obvious that there are other folks who are great shooters in other shooting sport activities, and they have become IDPA members, and even though they may be intermittent in their participation in local IDPA matches, they KNOW AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES...and some even travel and participate in surrounding state matches. I will have no reservations in extending an invitation to them as well.

Where an issue may arise is when someone may want to become an IDPA SO, but they don't even compete in the matches! There are actually some folks who think that one can become an IDPA SO just because they want to. That's not how it operates. Folks must KNOW AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES...that is a bottom line, and an essential component of that is participation in matches.

I honestly believe that if folks who have been involved in designing CoF's for IDPA Nebraska and also been involved in the setup of stages were to be asked if they found those experiences to be extremely resourceful to them in learning and knowing the rules, each and every one of them would say that they did find those experiences resourceful AND that each of them had a greater appreciation for what it takes to put on an IDPA match.

Believe me, I want to see the IDPA sport grow in Nebraska. Folks just need to realize that doing so is more than just having the title of SO. Folks have to get into the nitty gritty of doing all that I have outlined above. And there is an opportunity for that every month on either the first or second Saturday at Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range in Lincoln. Now having said that, when folks from outside of Lincoln become an IDPA SO, they can get others in their local and surrounding areas interested in the IDPA sport shooting activity, and then after they have had regular participation in matches, they, too, can become IDPA SOs.

Heck, are folks really expecting to become an IDPA SO if they haven't even participated in a match?...or participated in only one or two matches? IDPA SOs need to be dedicated to the sport and not just interested in having the title and then have others in their area actually think that they know and understand the rules.

Now that all of that is out of the way, I will be sending out invitations to an initial group of folks to participate in an IDPA SO Candidate class...but, per IDPA, they will have to first successfully complete the IDPA SO Candidate online examination. If there are others who may not have received an invitation, I am open to receive their request to receive training...however, I am also expecting that they will let me know about their regular participation in IDPA matches and hopefully also experience in designing CoF's for IDPA matches...and just cut and pasting a design from the online databases that are out there doesn't cut it as many of those designs are referenced to the old rule book.

Also, for the record, most folks have busy lives, so please don't stereotype me as being too busy to give an IDPA SO training class. What I am doing is developing a cadre of folks so that their feet are running in the right direction when they do take a training class...and THAT is what takes time.

8)
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan