< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Public Service Announcement - Lincoln Ikes Members listen up  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
I want to inform all Lincoln Izaak Walton League Chapter 65 members that frequent this site that recently there were some changes in the range rules.

Don't assume (like me  ???)  that you know all the rules. Read the newsletter or visit the website or the bulletin board at the range you are using and read up on the change in the rules regarding extended rapid fire.

I did not heed this advice and set off a string of fire with an AR15 that drew the attention (and deservedly so) of range safety officers.

Let this serve as my public apology to the range safety committee and the Board of Directors at Lincoln Ikes that I did not meet my obligation as a member to keep myself up to date on the range rules and be as safe as possible while still enjoying the fine facilities that membership at Lincoln Ikes provides.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Public Service Announcement - Lincoln Ikes Members listen up
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I actually read the email notice, but had already forgot about the changes.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Just curious what are the changes? I shoot at the Ikes with people from time to time.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »
Rifle/Pistol rule addition
Rev. 1-25-2015 Controlled Fire
All shots must be fired in a controlled manner and must impact the target backer in a location that does not damage the frame. Extended rapid fire is not allowed, however short rapid fire strings such as double taps are allowed provided the shooter maintains control of the gun and all the shots impact the target backer as described above. Shooters taking part in organized competitions may engage in extended rapid fire under the supervision of a Range Safety Officer. Damage to League equipment due to uncontrolled fire may result in the shooter being assessed repair fees or other disciplinary action at the discretion of the Safety Committee.
D.R

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »
Rifle/Pistol rule addition
Rev. 1-25-2015 Controlled Fire
All shots must be fired in a controlled manner and must impact the target backer in a location that does not damage the frame. Extended rapid fire is not allowed, however short rapid fire strings such as double taps are allowed provided the shooter maintains control of the gun and all the shots impact the target backer as described above. Shooters taking part in organized competitions may engage in extended rapid fire under the supervision of a Range Safety Officer. Damage to League equipment due to uncontrolled fire may result in the shooter being assessed repair fees or other disciplinary action at the discretion of the Safety Committee.

awhile ago, i was there just after they put up some new target stands.  less than two weeks later, people had already shot through the target stands.  there's bad eggs in every basket.   :(
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »
That's what I thought they Dan was ref. I checked the rules before I committed honestly I though this was always the policy.

I'm a little but surprised they havent put mag limits on there ranges. Maybe 5 rounds or so since that's what most bolt guns can hold.

Kind of makes me smile. When I think double tap I think I think of standing up and putting two hits on target. Not sitting down on a bench. With the baffles they installed on the small ranger basicly makes it impossible to do anything but sit and plink

Thanks for the PSA Dan I will make sure to review the rules again the next time I attend.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
Rob is right, the rule was put in place because the range has had a lot of problems with irresponsible shooters doing mag dumps (not saying this is what happened here) and tearing up target backers, putting rounds into the overhead baffles, etc.  A new hand crank target retrieval system was put in place on the handgun range but had to be removed because people were shooting it up so bad they were destroying it.  Frankly, the amount of holes in the baffles is scary.  I hate to think what was happening before the baffles were in place.  The rule was written in an attempt to still allow some limited rapid fire practice while discouraging people from just spraying without aiming.  It's unfortunate, but frankly the alternative was to shut the ranges down except when range officers are present.

The baffles on Range #1 (25/50/75 yards) are a pain, but they had to be low enough to prevent unintentional discharges over the berm. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
^^^thats not nearly as terrifying as the deliberate shot groupings on the numbers at the 100yard range (range 2).
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:48:15 PM »
^^^thats not nearly as terrifying as the deliberate shot groupings on the numbers at the 100yard range (range 2).

Yeah, if I knew who that was they wouldn't be a member anymore.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »
<snip>  A new hand crank target retrieval system was put in place on the handgun range but had to be removed because people were shooting it up so bad they were destroying it.</snip>
I went over to Take Aim in Bellevue over the weekend and when one of the owners came in to the bay we were talking about their system and she pointed out a huge hole in one of the rails from a ND of a .500.  The line they were given was "It just went off on it's own!"  Fortunately it's didn't take down the target retrieval system.

Sad to hear that people can be that careless or malicious.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
Fortunately it's didn't take down the target retrieval system.

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

Take Aim's range is equipped with those excellent Action Target rail-type target retrievers, which are so much better that the Swing-and-Sway cheepie cable types that take 5 minutes or more to settle down after being run out.

They even have some SmartPad electronic types that can be set to specific distances from the firing line.

Too bad it happened.   Especially to those Nice Folks at Take Aim.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer