< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Rant: For the love of Pete's sake. Give these people some proper guidance...PLEASE!  (Read 1162 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
[rant-on]
I see SO many of these photos showing an obvious novice handling a firearm. This could be a photo taken within the first five seconds of her picking up a pistol, but in many instances novices taking a similar (shoulders back) stance and outdated/inefficient grip are probably never corrected.

I have also seen plenty of videos showing newbies shooting while the "experienced" shooter just stands there and lets them practice all sorts of bad habits. 

So if you are going to teach someone to shoot, kudos to you.  Just please, please...PLEASE make sure you are instilling good habits encompassing safety and the most up-to-date techniques in relation to stance, grip, trigger control, etc. 
[/rant-off]

Fly
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:51:15 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
most up-to-date techniques in relation to stance, grip, trigger control, etc. 

According to whom?  :P

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
A good set of ANSI-rated safety glasses on each of Those Folks in the picture would get that particular  shooting event off to a good start.

Can't tell if the Lady has "ears", but a check on that point would also be in order.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Can't tell if the Lady has "ears", but a check on that point would also be in order

Unless she is practicing to be an assassin and that is a Hi-Standard suppressed .22 LR ...

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Also...........

Could be that She, the instructor, is demo-ing the "cup-and-saucer" grip to the Guy, meanwhile saying, "Now, whatever you do, don't hold it in this way."

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
It's the new "TransIso" stance currently sweeping the nation. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
A good set of ANSI-rated safety glasses on each of Those Folks in the picture would get that particular  shooting event off to a good start.

Can't tell if the Lady has "ears", but a check on that point would also be in order.

sfg

Excellent catch sfg!

Fly

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
isn't this why women date men?  free firearm instructors?

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
On a semi-related note...I see a lot of guys bringing females to the range.  Now I am all for educating the public regarding handguns.  I have taken males and females to the range to give them some free instruction and live fire experience.  However, this has all occurred after I was married.  Out of all these guys I've seen taking women to the range, a good majority of them have a definite "I'm going to impress this girl/woman by taking her to the range and showing her what a man I am" attitude.  These women probably just have some curiosity about firearms and want someone to show them the basics while the dude is usually interested in other ultimate goals.

Glad I have taught my daughter to shoot initially and then the USMC gave her what I could not.  She doesn't need, nor will she be impressed by, a guy that thinks he will be cool and show her what a man he is.

Fly