< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bug Out Bags...  (Read 4172 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Bug Out Bags...
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
What's in yours?

What kind and size of bag(s) do you use?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:34:13 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
Re: Bug Out Bags...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »
Hey FarmerRick

Glad you started this!  I have been on the survival/emergency prep for little over a year now.  I just started with filling my bug out bag this month.  I have one for each family member that will be just for them and there needs.  I will have to post what I am going to put in them later.  I don't have time now to list it all.  You are ahead of the game if you are not running to the store like everyone else to get supplies that may not be there. :o

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
This has reminded me that I need to re-stock, re-think my bag. Thanks, Rick.

I have a large duffel bag that we put together a few years ago, but over time I think I have stolen stuff out of it and not replaced it. We got busy with a move, remodeling, etc, and I have slacked on "the bag". We always take it with us camping, on trips, etc., and over time it has been depleted some.

I'll make some time and start over on ours and post up pics before long.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
Ours is split into a few different bags & containers, with the intent of just getting us through a few days in the event of a major catastrophe.  We have a couple of flats of bottled water, along with a 5 gallon jug of water that can be easily hand carried if we need to move quickly.  We keep bleach around the house to use for sanitizing drinking water if we need more than that.  The CDC recommends 1/8 tsp per gallon of water. 

Split between two backpacks we have rope, duct tape, sterno, lighters, canned food, can opener, lightweight camping pots, candles, spare socks & underwear, hand sanitizer, hand crank powered radio/flashlight combo, and gauze bandages.  There's probably more in there, too, but I can't remember all of it off the top of my head.

I need to get a couple of folding knives to add to the bags.  In the event of some serious civil unrest I'd plan on taking my 870 along also, if we actually had to leave the house. 

My wife used to think it was silly storing this stuff ahead of time, but then Katrina hit.  She's all over it now.

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
Ours is split into a few different bags & containers, with the intent of just getting us through a few days in the event of a major catastrophe.  We have a couple of flats of bottled water, along with a 5 gallon jug of water that can be easily hand carried if we need to move quickly.  We keep bleach around the house to use for sanitizing drinking water if we need more than that.  The CDC recommends 1/8 tsp per gallon of water. 

Split between two backpacks we have rope, duct tape, sterno, lighters, canned food, can opener, lightweight camping pots, candles, spare socks & underwear, hand sanitizer, hand crank powered radio/flashlight combo, and gauze bandages.  There's probably more in there, too, but I can't remember all of it off the top of my head.

I need to get a couple of folding knives to add to the bags.  In the event of some serious civil unrest I'd plan on taking my 870 along also, if we actually had to leave the house. 

My wife used to think it was silly storing this stuff ahead of time, but then Katrina hit.  She's all over it now.

The NRA monthly flyer has some of them I couldn't get the pic's to upload sorry

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
These are the bare needs that if you walk out of your house right now going anywhere from a disaster you will need to survive. Preferebly in your pockets and on your belt. I refere to it as my 1st line.

550 paracord
Basic med kit
Compass
Flashlight
Canteen, camelback, etc
shooter gloves
smoke generators
knife
handgun
snare traps
fishing kit
mirror
whistle
matches
flint & steel
candles
plastic bags and sheeting
clorox
potassium permanganate
protien bars
water purification tablets
canteen

May GOD have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't          General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
I use web gear and a M.O.L.L.E. Pack to carry other things I need to survive should a natural disaster occur or any reason. From cloths ie. sock,draws,pants and shirt keep a set of each in a bag. Multiple socks and draws. to spare ammo. An E Tool (Entrenching tool for digging) sleeping bag and a tarp for shelter and more para cord. Wire for setting snares. Spare batteries. 50 feet Rope. Gas Mask. Medication. Sanitary supplies. M.R.E.s or other food. (Tuna in foil pack is both filling and high in protien and stores using little space) canteens x 2 filled with water suitable to drink. Anything you may need to survive because SURVIVAL IS NOT A GAME! And if your entertaining putting a bug out bag together then it will be for survival treat it as such. I have not listed everything one may need I gave a few basic nesessities and you will need to fill in what you yourself may need. Just remember, you will be carrying this on your back or your hand. It may not be heavy with a quick test lift so do your self a favor and walk around with it for half a day and see how you feel. And if you feel you must drop a few pounds out of it to ensure you can keep on the move with all you leave with then do so. Now you see my first post has a few items listed and specified "in pockets" Thats because if a point should come where you need to drop your MOLLE or "bug out bag" to save your arse you will always have whats in your pokets and you will survive.
May GOD have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't          General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »
Uh-Oh even the mainstream media are getting into the act: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourLife/9-ways-to-prepare-for-disaster.aspx about 'preparedness'

Some good info and a couple of links in the story too.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
Thank you for the article. They forgot to mention to purchase some protection such as a rifle or pistol lol.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »
What kind of protein bars, etc are you fellas using? What is the shelf life (or bag life in this case) for such?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline LawyerJan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:29:45 AM »
Keep in mind that water in some plastic bottles has a shelf life.  I don't know exactly what's going on, but there's some chemical reaction or break down in the plastic, so rotate that stock.
NRA, USCCA, NFOA

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »
I keep some Granola bars in my bag and usually change them out 2 times a year when I do the mag rotation/battery check. Its real easy to buy a new box and use the old one up.

I carry my "bug out bag" in a tactical vest mostly because its more comfortable to carry for me (since I hurt my back a couple years ago).

A few things I carry that I didn't see mentioned -sorry if they were)
Toilet paper (pull the tube out and crush the roll)
Coffee filters (can be used to filter crap out of water or in case of needing a bit of tinder)
Fire starter sticks (can be bought at walmart for a couple of bucks and light well even wet and if you have decently dry tinder you are golden.)
Source of fire (preferably 2-3 sources I carry several bics in a ziploc bag as well as my ever present in pocket zippo and a magnesium fire starter stick -want to buy a blast match but its a lower priority atm.)
Bug spray (high in DEET as we all know)
A Flask of Ever clear (or some grain alcohol) For sterilizing or in case a little help is needed when starting a fire
A set of Thinsulate/Goretex gloves in case it gets chilly.
A couple extra emergency blankets that make good shock blankets.

And for those of you that carry purification tabs Consider a few of the koolaid tubes to make  the water taste a bit better.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline ScottC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
Koolaid (and other drink mixes) can make some canteens go funky in a hurry - esp. the plastic like the US Army canteens are made.  Once used with the mixes, they will impart a nasty taste in water or anything else used in them.  Just something to be careful of down the road.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
Consider plans first and bags second.  Two scenarios present themselves, first, shelter in place.  Have a plan to stay where you are and collect supplies accordingly.  Second, bug-out, this may be a portion of your shelter in place plan regarding supplies that are contained in back packs etc.  Consider plastic containers as well, as they're modular and fit well in cars.  Know what can fit in your vehicle.

My opinion:  You need water first, second,temperature regulation/protection from the threat, and third, food.  Always have multiple ways of producing fire. Saying that, security is paramount at each step.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 08:47:54 PM »
Here's a writeup on mine from another forum I'm on:

My BoB is this ModGear pack, purchased from CheaperThanDirt.com: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE124-1.html
It is also equipped with this hydration system carrier: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE454-1.html

You can see from the second picture that I am carrying a Gerber LMF II as my fixed blade knife: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01629-Black-Infantry-Knife/dp/B000E3QUB6

If you are unfamiliar with the LMF, I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself.  It is an excellent multi-purpose fixed blade knife.

Here's a quick peek inside the pockets of my bag.

Main Compartment

Secondary Compartment (upper)

Tertiary Compartment (lower)

Contents of Main Compartment

- Earplugs
- Mechanix Fast Fit Gloves
- 6" 12-hours Light Sticks (4)
- Light Stick Carrier
- Web Belt
- Foot Joy Socks (2 pair) (If you haven't tried these, you need to)
- Spare AA Batteries (3)
- Solar/Hand Crank Radio (can also be used to charge cell phones, etc.)
- Ball Cap
- Space Blanket
- Short Sleeve Shirt
- Long Sleeve Shirt
- Underwear (2 pair) (I figured I would save you from looking at my boxers)
- Desert Camo Rip-stop BDU Pants
- Woodland Camo Army Surplus Rain Suit

Secondary Compartment Contents

- Steiner Mini Binoculars
- Loaded Spare 30 Round Magazines, 7.62X39 (2)
- N95 Respirator Masks (2)
- Dry Bag
- Tooth Brush
- Starkist Lunch to Go (2)
- Pencil, Pen, Sharpie
- Hand Sanitizer
- Cash
- Toothpaste
- Travel Kleenex (2) (Can double as TP)
- Anti-bacterial Hand Wipes
- Note Pad
- 100' Parachute Cord

Tertiary Compartment Contents

- Compass
- First Aid Kit
- Whistle
- Bug Repellent
- Medications (prescriptions, aspirin, anti-diarrheal, Ibuprofen, Tums)
- Bug Bite Treatment
- Wet Fire Tinder (2)
- Blast Match Fire Starter
- Wind-proof Butane Lighter

Side Compartment, Right

- Basic Garmin GPS
- 12 Volt Adapter for GPS
- Tactical Light (no name brand from Costco - VERY nice)
- Gerber Kiowa Tanto Blade Folding/Locking Knife

Side Compartment, Left

- Loaded Spare 15 Round Magazines, 9 mm (2)
- SPF 30 Sun Block

Inside the Hydration Carrier

- Water Purification Pellets

In addition to the tuna snack meals, I also have 7200 calories of MayDay Food Bars in my pack: http://www.survival-goods.com/3600_Calorie_Mayday_Food_Bar_p/fb36m.htm