< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First day of trap shooting.  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
First day of trap shooting.
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
Well, my 10 year old finally decided she wanted to try some trap shooting. While she has always enjoyed target shooting with her little .22, she has been very reluctant to do much with a shotgun. I think the biggest reason has been my only youth shotgun is the single shot break open my Dad got me back when I was a kid, and it kicks like a mule. So, yesterday I picked her up a basically brand new Remington youth 870 Express Magnum from a co-worker that got it for his kid that never used it. It is a beautiful shotgun for what it is and could have easily been passed for never fired. We took it out on it's maiden voyage today, and well, she took to it like a fish to water. For today being her first time ever shooting at a moving target, she did incredibly well. I had her shoot in sets of 4 targets. Her very first set she went 2 for 4, and there were many sets that she went 4 for 4 hitting blue rocks from our cheapie little tire mounted spring powered thrower. Her excitement was awesome, and I know I'm biased, but I'm amazed at how well she did right out of the gate. We are signing her up for leagues in Nebraska City. From what I understand, kids have to be in 6th grade to shoot in competitions, but she can shoot with the team at all the practices. It will be good because next year when she is old enough, she will have some experience shooting in front of others which should help with the nerves. Her only downfall is that she inherited my insane competitive spirit, so she really takes it hard when she misses. We have to work really hard at getting her over that as there will be many kids she will shoot with that have been doing it alot longer than her.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: First day of trap shooting.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:02:54 PM »
Learning the 870's functions:

Now it's her turn:

It's harder to get an impact shot than I thought!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:46:33 PM by Jay »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
These are THE DAYS........................ and you got pictures!  8)
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

1hickey

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
Fred does good at just about anything she puts her mind to...this will be no exception.

Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »
Nice. I wish I could have gotten some shooting in with the warm weather we had this last weekend. Oh well, at least I got the top off my Jeep for a few days!

1hickey

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
From the pics, she has some good basic form, too.