< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Farmer's Market Carry  (Read 5493 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Farmer's Market Carry
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 07:02:35 AM »
tstuart34  .... with all due respect ... and I REALLY mean that ..... why are you making this an issue?  I humbly request you let it go.   IIRC it was not all that long ago, several students made it point to "draw attention" to themselves whilst carrying long guns on UNL property (if I am bastardizing this story, please, someone correct me).   That of course led the powers that be to ban ALL firearms on campus.  If it becomes an "issue", someone nefarious will act on it ... and NOT in our favor.   IMHO, once again, concealed carry goes beyond just carrying said handgun ... I think it also insinuates closed lips .....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:16:33 AM by bullit »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »
tstuart34  .... with all due respect ... and I REALLY mean that ..... why are you making this an issue?  I humbly request you let it go.   IIRC it was not all that long ago, several students made it point to "draw attention" to themselves whilst carrying long guns on UNL property (if I am bastardizing this story, please, someone correct me).   That of course led the powers that be to ban ALL firearms on campus.  If it becomes an "issue", someone nefarious will act on it ... and NOT in our favor.   IMHO, once again, concealed carry goes beyond just carrying said handgun ... I think it also insinuates closed lips .....

I have a lot of respect for you Bullit. Your post though often full of sarcasm are very informative and always mean well.

This is how I feel about our forum.... It is a place for people to ***** a little, ask a question here and there and post links to gun stories. The NFOA Bored does a GREAT job pushing new laws in the legislature and we have a hand full of members that get behind them when they can.

I understand the picking your battles but what battles do we ever fight? How often do we right letters to business saying that we choose not to spend our money with them because  they are posted. How do they know they are loosing business if they are never told? I'm not saying we should make it into a full on Texas or Nebraska student open carry event.

I understand your opinion on CC but your average Nebraskan does not have the understanding of the laws as you do and probably not willing to put themselves at risk to be arrested and go through a lengthy legal battle as you might be if for some reason you would be found to have a weapon on you. 

I'll find something else to do with my free time. Maybe try and watch a few youtube videos on how to shoot faster in IDPA.  :laugh:

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:48 AM »
I would recommend skipping NSP and their "opinion" and go straight to a more informed source i.e. the Lancaster County Attorney's office (who by the way would do the prosecuting IF it came about).  Joe Kelly is a good man and Pro 2A.  My last two cents ... now get back to Youtube ....

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 08:04:15 AM »
I was pushed to the NSP by the Atorney General office.

From now on I will PM you.  ;D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
I understood that part.  HOWEVER, the AG would NOT be doing the local prosecuting.  It would fall to the Lancaster County Attorney, thus my recommendation to speak to them. 

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »
tstuart34,
Should you pursue this with the County Attorney please keep us informed as I, for one, am curious how this plays out.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
I was pushed to the NSP by the Atorney General office.

From now on I will PM you.  ;D

Yeah but is this first and foremost a "state" issue?  I think the first question is to Lancaster county and/or the city of Lincoln to find out who gave authority to Cheech and Chong, the farmers market organizers, to post the city street.  If I wanted to take my kids to Lazlo's for lunch I'd have to break the law to walk down the sidewalk?

I still wonder if anyone gave them the authority or if they just put up their sign unilaterally with no permission to do so.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 08:40:25 AM »
Yeah but is this first and foremost a "state" issue?  I think the first question is to Lancaster county and/or the city of Lincoln to find out who gave authority to Cheech and Chong, the farmers market organizers, to post the city street.  If I wanted to take my kids to Lazlo's for lunch I'd have to break the law to walk down the sidewalk?

I still wonder if anyone gave them the authority or if they just put up their sign unilaterally with no permission to do so.

I called the AG becuase of Dan's comment.

Call this guy per Bullet....
I would recommend skipping NSP and their "opinion" and go straight to a more informed source i.e. the Lancaster County Attorney's office (who by the way would do the prosecuting IF it came about).  Joe Kelly is a good man and Pro 2A.  My last two cents ... now get back to Youtube ....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:45:28 AM by tstuart34 »

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »
I think it is interesting that the city "has the authority" to post public property. This subject come up occasionally on the forum in conjunction with city parks or city libraries. If it is any help, Lincoln's city code referenced on the city libraries' "no weapons" posting is 9.36.130:
" Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in City and/or County Facilities; Prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or cause to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a city and/or county facility."

While the above city code references "facilities", I would bet this is what the city would point to when stating they can ban carry in public spaces. I am curious who and/or what gives the city the authority to do this. In my opinion, publicly owned property should not be able to be posted.

Offline terminalvelocity16

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
My last trip to the farmers market this past weekend and I did not see any signs or posters on the street itself pertaining to no firearms. They still had a no pets sign.
However the website still says no firearms permitted. Just an update for everyone.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 10:48:05 AM »

This suggestion may need to be addressed in another part of the forum but, perhaps the legislation allowing the establishment of gun free zones could be amended to require the venue to provide adequate (armed?) Security or an insurance rider to cover loss or damages to individuals in the event of an attack while on their premises. If they wish to disarm people then they should be legally and financially responsible should something occur.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
I think it is interesting that the city "has the authority" to post public property.

By law they DO NOT have the authority to public property. Article 1 of the State Constitution affirms the neither the state nor any political subdivision deny or infringe the Right to keep and bear arms. They pass these laws knowing they are unconstitutional because they know that 99.9% of the population can not afford to challenge the law in court.

For political subdivisions to claim the section of the CCW law that allows for the posting of property gives them license to do so is a bogus claim. The section in the ccw law refers to private property. The CCW statute does NOT trump a constitutional command.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM