< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Farmer's Market Carry  (Read 5494 times)

Offline terminalvelocity16

• NFOA Full Member
Farmer's Market Carry
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »
Does anyone carry at the Lincoln downtown farmers market? Usually I see them post portable "no guns" signs around. However it's not
really a place of business. It's a public market on a city street. Do they actually have the authority to put up these signs, and if so are they
actually binding being that it is a public place? Thanks in advance.

-Term

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Farmer's Market Carry
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:58:39 PM »
Funny you should mention that location. Last September one of our own ended up starting quite a stir when a anti-2A person saw her doing what she had been doing for years... OC at the OC.

Here is the thread and the results: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,12888.0.html

As far as if this is enforceable?  A lawyer would have to tell you that.  ;)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »
Yeah, Mali, but in that case it was the Old Cheney market in a parking lot on private property.  And the OCFM people said they weren't going to post. Now we are hearing of signs being placed in the middle of the public street?   I wonder what busybody thinks they have the authority to do that?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
Yeah, Mali, but in that case it was the Old Cheney market in a parking lot on private property.  And the OCFM people said they weren't going to post. Now we are hearing of signs being placed in the middle of the public street?   I wonder what busybody thinks they have the authority to do that?
Sorry about that mixup, not being from Lincoln I thought he was referring to the same place.  The fact that this is a different place does concern me. Especially since this is, as you said, it is public property not private.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 08:38:31 PM »
Beuller?

Beuller?

Beuller?

Doesn't anyone else here think it's asinine to "post" a public street and sidewalks in downtown Lincoln?

Can they do that?

Several years in a row folks in our neighborhood have gotten City of Lincoln's permission to barricade off a street for a July 4th block party.  If I did that, could I then turn around and post the street like it's my own private property.  ???

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »
My non-lawyerly opinion .... 1) CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED (but we beat that horse to death here) and 2) I cannot think it enforceable with maybe the thought that FM "pays rent" for the area .....

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
We should gather up a BUNCH of gun folks (men and women folk) and walk thru there handing out the No Guns, No Money cards to each vendor.  Just one guy doing it won't have much effect, but a couple groups of 5,6, 10.... doing so, that would get their attention at a lot of potential cash flow missed.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
My laymen's understanding of the Concealed Handgun act, combined with the Attorney Generals opinion that cities and villages can not ban CCW on public streets, parking lots or sidewalks, leads me to believe that it would not be a violation to carry concealed with a valid permit in the Haymarket on public sidewalks in spite of signs to the contrary.

Having not personally viewed the signs, I don't tend to be self limiting where my fundamental civil rights are concerned, so I would keep calm and carry on.

But honestly I don't know why any CHP holders would choose to spend their hard earned money in a business that does not honor our Liberties when their are so many others that do not.

https://ago.nebraska.gov/_resources/dyn/files/625565z1196c59/_fn/09001_1-13-09.pdf
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline terminalvelocity16

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
Straight from the Haymarket Farmers' Market website:

"Haymarket Farmers’ Market has just about everything you need, so please leave these items at home:

-Weapons, personal knives, utility tools.
-Animals, no matter how cute or well behaved, unless they are service animals for disabled persons.
-Posters, placards, stickers, balloons or promotional materials.
-Haymarket Farmers’ Market organizers may refuse entry or expel any person, as needed, to maintain a positive and safe event for everyone."

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Straight from the Haymarket Farmers' Market website:

"Haymarket Farmers’ Market has just about everything you need, so please leave these items at home:

-Weapons, personal knives, utility tools.
-Animals, no matter how cute or well behaved, unless they are service animals for disabled persons.
-Posters, placards, stickers, balloons or promotional materials.
-Haymarket Farmers’ Market organizers may refuse entry or expel any person, as needed, to maintain a positive and safe event for everyone."

To me the FM is saying, "Come spend your money here, but leave you rights and possessions at the door."
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
Sounds like we need to start flooding them with letters and emails. Then set something up like bull said and try to make a appearance. Maybe a lincoln breakfast then a walk

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
Personal knives and utility tools???  What kind of candy a** is running that?

I wonder if this reflects the values of all the vendors there?  E.g. Parthenon restaurant or all the folks selling sweet corn?  I imagine not.  That's who needs to also be told that we're unhappy with this.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
Ahhhh, attempting to create the perfect liberal utopia.  lol

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »
I carry no weapons only tools to protect myself. Its only has one function its not a utility gun.  :blank:

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
I made a call to the Attorney Generals office about this issue. They transferred me to the NSP there I spoke with the (Honestly cant remember the office name) "justice" office. I asked them if the Haymarket can restrict weapons during the event.

There response was since the city gives control to the Haymarket   they have the right to restrict weapons if they so choose.

So....  ???

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
There response was since the city gives control to the Haymarket   they have the right to restrict weapons if they so choose.

The City can't transfer a power that it does not have to another political subdivision.

The Haymarket can post private property, but public sidewalks and streets? I say no way
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »

The City can't transfer a power that it does not have to another political subdivision.

The Haymarket can post private property, but public sidewalks and streets? I say no way
Just passing on what the NSP said. I guess in there eyes they are making them responsible for the property. There party there rules?

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »
Just passing on what the NSP said. I guess in there eyes they are making them responsible for the property. There party there rules?

Not sure the NSP person you spoke to has a vested interest in fighting the fight against Lincoln and/or the tie-dyed people who decided to post a city street (and also unilaterally choose to make my Swiss Army knife verboten.)  Just saying... That sounds like the answer of someone who was happy to just get you off the phone.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »
Not sure the NSP person you spoke to has a vested interest in fighting the fight against Lincoln and/or the tie-dyed people who decided to post a city street (and also unilaterally choose to make my Swiss Army knife verboten.)  Just saying... That sounds like the answer of someone who was happy to just get you off the phone.
Not disagreeing with you but the gentlemen actually called me back after discussing this with a another person in his office. He could of blown me off and not called. I will call tomorrow and get the exact deparment that I spoke with. 

I am more than willing to make more phone calls if you have someone better to call? I think a better legal understand on what they can and can not do when they are in charge with the property is the best. Might be able to and this by dumpling showing them how they have no right. If they have the legal right we should consider putting pressure on them in other ways. Like emails, letters, and no guns no cash cards.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
I'd wager that most of the regular contributors on this forum know more about Nebraska's concealed carry laws than 90% of the employees at the NE State Patrol.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.