< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: "I bought a gun, what holster should I get?"  (Read 5989 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
"I bought a gun, what holster should I get?"
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »
"I bought a gun, what holster should I get?"

I hear that question quite often from people have taken an Intro class, practiced with a .22, and finally gotten themselves a centerfire pistol.  (Or maybe they HAVEN'T taken a class, but bought themselves a centerfire "first gun" because a friend already "taught them how to shoot.")

...and so they do a search on "best holster" and get inundated with tons of responses, links, and suggestions for holsters for all types of reasons  when what they REALLY need is a simple reliable range holster so that they can go practice good handgun technique to reach competency before getting something more specialized for a specific function.

(Or worse yet, they don't ask or do a search but instead just run to the local gun store and pick up either a nylon "tactical" holster or a SERPA.  Please don't do either one of those.)

So, I wrote an article about what equipment I would suggest for people who have bought their first centerfire gun, with an emphasis on equipment that was reliable, durable, and economical.

https://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/basic-range-equipment/

Thoughts?  For basic range practice to get someone competent at fundamental handgun techniques, anyone have any other comparably-priced equipment suggestions?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: "I bought a gun, what holster should I get?"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
Some competitions require active retention.  Dismissing active retention and/or "SERPA" holsters out of hand only addresses a limited scope of need.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: &quot;I bought a gun, what holster should I get?&quot;
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
I would say the blade tech basic kits would be a good starter system or just blade tech gear in general. There IDPA kit isn't bad money. You get a couple of belt loops, holster, mag carrier, and I think a practice barrel for around $75th.

I think serpa holsters have there place but maybe not for someone just starting out. Having to press a button near the trigger could lead to a ND.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »
Some competitions require active retention.  Dismissing active retention and/or "SERPA" holsters out of hand only addresses a limited scope of need.

So, the entire set of comments and criterion about "basic range holster for practice for first centerfire gun" was missed?

Active retention holsters (like, for example, the Safariland ALS series) are great for their intended purpose.  As that intended purpose has nothing to do with the topic of the article, nor does it match the criterion or purpose listed, I'm thinking---your comment isn't really relevant.  (Or are you assuming that people who have just bought their first centerfire pistol are immediately going to start competitions in which they need a retention holster, and thus should immediately buy all the gear needed for such things?  Really?)

And dismissing a SERPA isn't dismissing retention holsters.  It is saying that a specific retention holster isn't a good choice, if you are buying retention holsters. 

Did you even read the topic of the article?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:47:25 PM »
I would say the blade tech basic kits would be a good starter system or just blade tech gear in general. There IDPA kit isn't bad money. You get a couple of belt loops, holster, mag carrier, and I think a practice barrel for around $75th.

I think serpa holsters have there place but maybe not for someone just starting out. Having to press a button near the trigger could lead to a ND.

I like the Blade-Tech stuff just fine.  Actually, since you brought it up, I see that their Revolution series holster is just about the same price as the two I suggested in my post, which means I should add it also.  (I'm used to the various Blade-Tech holsters being more like $60, not $30, but I don't normally buy the Revolution series.)

So thanks for reminding me of that---I'll update my article.  Thanks!

The problem with their IDPA pack is that it is normally around $90 (if you have a common gun, and aren't left-handed) , and while all the gear is solid, good stuff, many people simply won't spend that--or don't need to, since they'll be switching for either better competition gear, or completely different carry gear.  The holster/mag pouch combo I suggest in my post is about half the price of the Blade-Tech IDPA pack--which you can only get if you have a common gun as they don't sell the pack with all holster types.  (And these days the pack is just a holster and a double-mag pouch.)

http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_130&products_id=6846

With respect to SERPA holsters---a Safariland ALS holster is about the same price (only slightly more), made of much more durable materials, with a significantly more reliable locking mechanism that doesn't get jammed, where the unlock function is not only completely intuitive, but doesn't make you push inward with your trigger finger while drawing the gun, and the locking mechanism also isn't in view and available to someone who might try to take your gun.

You can get a Safariland ALS for $40.  In my opinion, there is really NO contest between the two.  (And I'll note that I have both, and have practiced with both.)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
So, the entire set of comments and criterion about "basic range holster for practice for first centerfire gun" was missed?

Nope.

You asked for thoughts.  I gave you thoughts.  If you don't like them, carry on.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Lately I've been using Crossbreed's holsters, depending on options they're normally $50 - 70 each.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
One of your lighter content blogs. That's ok, BTW. Sometimes on a hot summer day a Lite beer is in order instead of a Châteauneuf-du-Pape. But pigeonholing "first pistol & holster" into a certain philosophy / purpose in a short blog is going to be inherently troublesome with today's diverse population of shooting sports participants. America is in the middle of a Firearms Renaissance, thank God. The latest Pew polls show that we're growing in popularity and significantly outnumber the gun control crowd by about ten percent. But that's because there is such a wide variety of interests, tastes, purposes and percieved needs.

Myself I'd prefer a flap holster and single action revolver, but I'm a dinosaur.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »
Lately I've been using Crossbreed's holsters, depending on options they're normally $50 - 70 each.

I've herd that they make some very nice holsters but are mainly in the EDC department. jthhapkido goal with this post was to give people a very simple system to learn the fundamentals of drawing your pistol and manipulating your pistol. He wants them to have these fundamentals down first.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Nope.

You asked for thoughts.  I gave you thoughts.  If you don't like them, carry on.

True, I just expected the comments to 1) have something to do with the topic at hand, and 2) actually respond to what I said, instead of making something out of it that I didn't say.

Crossbreed has some good stuff---but it is 1) more than twice the cost of the holsters I suggested, and 2) for concealed carry, as opposed to a range holster for initial practice.  Most people don't have a solid enough grasp of muzzle and trigger discipline from a safety perspective when they start out, and a basic OWB holster means less for them to worry about than a concealment IWB holster. 

Like I said, Crossbreed makes a good holster.  I just wouldn't start someone out with one.  (Just like a Safariland ALS, or a Blade-Tech DOH---excellent holsters, not where I'd go for people's first practice holster.)

But pigeonholing "first pistol & holster" into a certain philosophy / purpose in a short blog is going to be inherently troublesome with today's diverse population of shooting sports participants. America is in the middle of a Firearms Renaissance, thank God. The latest Pew polls show that we're growing in popularity and significantly outnumber the gun control crowd by about ten percent. But that's because there is such a wide variety of interests, tastes, purposes and percieved needs.

Agreed.  I just get this question SO OFTEN from people who are starting to shoot, and want to know what they should buy---and people keep telling them $80 holsters and mag pouches when they barely know how to draw and reload in the first place.  (And watching someone who doesn't know how to draw well trying to re-holster in a deep-concealment IWB is both scary and depressing.)

Handy thing about the holsters I suggested, too---once you have moved on to something more specific for your needs, you can keep the initial holster (which is perfectly decent) and let people borrow it to try out guns.  :)  (I actually have two complete extra shooting rigs, one for a G19 and one for an XD, that I let people borrow when they want to try USPSA.  Those basic range holsters are great!)

It is odd, really, if you think about it:  Why do people keep suggesting costly holsters for specific niches for someone who 1) doesn't have enough experience to know what they'll want for that niche, and 2) may not have even stated what their eventual shooting niche is?

On the Facebook group Omaha Gun Tech, people periodically come on asking "What's a good holster for XX pistol?" and other people immediately jump up with suggestions even though they have no idea what the original poster wants the holster to do!  Retention/duty holster?  Concealed carry?  Hunting/hiking holster?  Competition?  No one cares, the original poster should just buy what they are suggesting!

In my post, I set the scenario with a specific situation:  shooter on their first centerfire gun, very little experience with draws or reloads, wants to learn.  What is a good starting setup in terms of reliability, durability, and price?

...and we get people grumbling about how I'm being mean to exclude retention holsters.  Seriously, someone would suggest a retention holster for the above situation?  Why?  Because we want to make it harder for the new (-ish) shooter to learn good solid basic technique?

Quote from: feralcatkillr
Myself I'd prefer a flap holster and single action revolver, but I'm a dinosaur.

I've got a single-action .22 that is ridiculously run to shoot. (I was surprised at how much fun it is to shoot when I got it.)  One of these days I'm going to have to pick up 1) a western-style holster for it, and 2) probably a Ruger Vaquero or something similar and rig to go along with it.    Because GUN!  :)  ...and because eventually I'll try SASS shooting, too.  When I have more free time.  They look like they are having ridiculous amounts of fun.... 

Probably wouldn't choose a flap holster, myself, but the great thing is that we can all pick what we want, have them all be different, and it is all good for everyone.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:29 PM »
I see it has either been some time since you have used a FOBUS holster or yours was mis-sized/ wrong style or you do not know how to adjust the retention.

My Fobus is solid, reliable, covers the trigger guard completely and the tension is adjustable.

Also, for first timers not getting into competition, a cheap Bulldog holster works fine for range and practice.  After becoming familiar with their weapon, gaining confidence and meeting more experienced shooters and having the opportunity hopefully to meet other shooters and see what they have, they can spend the bucks for a better holster with confidence they won't be wasting their money. 

Other than that I say very good article.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
I see it has either been some time since you have used a FOBUS holster or yours was mis-sized/ wrong style or you do not know how to adjust the retention.

I've had three ... uh ... Fobuses? Fobi?  They were all quite different.  The wife's SR-22 version is great and tension adjustable. An LCP one was "ok" but gets little use because that's a pocket gun and, well, there's rarely any point in carrying an LCP OWB. One for a Smith J-frame 642 was awful. It wasn't adjustable are required a lot of modification. The first time I put the gun in there I thought I'd have to simply break it apart to ever get it out.

Yes, I can bring myself to buy a plastic holster on occasion.  It's actually not a bad invention, 'cause I hate how leather can tend to squeak on your belt.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »

My Fobus is solid, reliable, covers the trigger guard completely and the tension is adjustable.
That surprises me greatly, because I see Fobus holsters all the time in classes and various competitions.  I have yet to see a single one that covered the trigger guard like it was supposed to, and I see people fighting to get the gun out of the holster at competitions quite frequently.  I find it unlikely that every single one of them couldn't figure out how to adjust the tension, or bought one for the wrong gun.

I am kind of curious as to how you would adjust the tension on this one, by the way:  http://www.zahal.org/products/fobus-holster-for-sig-pro-sg-pro

I realize the description says it has a tension adjustment screw, but I've got one like that in a box somewhere (I use it as a negative example in classes) and there is certainly no adjustment anywhere on it.  There are even entire YouTube videos on how to try to adjust the tension on the various versions of Fobus holsters that don't have adjustment screws.  Now, there are some versions of Fobus holsters that have adjustment screws---but at least one entire line of their holsters does not.  You are stuck with what you get--and many people have written many things about tension issues.

And like I said, pretty much every single one looked something like this:

or this

Matter of fact, doing a cursory image search, almost all of them DON'T cover the trigger guard like it should, with respect to their main types of holsters (Standard, Roto, and Evolution series).

Also, for first timers not getting into competition, a cheap Bulldog holster works fine for range and practice.
Hm.  I'm not familiar with those, and upon searching I can only find the Amazon page for "bulldog holsters" which includes a couple of belt slides in leather, and a number of nylon generic holsters which I would strongly NOT suggest to anyone.

Generic nylon holsters that aren't molded to the specific gun like this one:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulldog-Extreme-Belt-Holsters/708189.uts
generally tend to not secure the gun well during reholstering, allow the gun to move around during normal movement such as walking, etc, and since the gun can move it means more issues while practicing the draw stroke.

While the link I gave has a holster that includes a strap, that particular type doesn't disengage easily, and so most people when practicing their draws will leave it unsnapped--getting us back to the "gun unsecured" situation.

I strongly discourage people from using holsters like that.

After becoming familiar with their weapon, gaining confidence and meeting more experienced shooters and having the opportunity hopefully to meet other shooters and see what they have, they can spend the bucks for a better holster with confidence they won't be wasting their money. 
Completely agree.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: &quot;I bought a gun, what holster should I get?&quot;
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:06:49 PM »
I will admit I picked up a fobus with my first pistol. It was a SR9. The gun fit pretty well but was not smooth on the draw. I think some of this had to do with the paddle. It did not lock on the belt tightly and allowed the belt to twist a lot. I ended up moving to a pan cake kydex holster that I made on my own.

On another note. I haven't had time to make my dad a holster for his 21. We shot IDPA a couple weeks ago. And he really struggled with the cheap bulldog that he picked up at Basspro the night before. I still haven't made it even though it's sitting in my safe right now.....

I think Jthhapkido has vdry good point. The holster He recommend are well worth the value. I don't think people starting out will feel screwed by purchasing one of these. Even if they choose to move to a better EDC holster or a better competition rig they still have something sturdy and reliable. And could be used for either of the situation required.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:00:20 AM »
I will admit I picked up a fobus with my first pistol. It was a SR9. The gun fit pretty well but was not smooth on the draw. I think some of this had to do with the paddle. It did not lock on the belt tightly and allowed the belt to twist a lot. I ended up moving to a pan cake kydex holster that I made on my own.
Lots of people get a Fobus for their first holster, because they are cheap, most gun stores stock them, and they look (while in the package) just as good as any other holster.

It isn't like most gun stores let us try the gun in the holster, so people can't actually see what the retention, or the belt stability, or the trigger guard cover is like.  (And most people, while wearing the holster, can't see what the trigger guard cover is like so they don't ever notice unless someone points out that their holster isn't going to be legal at a USPSA match.)

On another note. I haven't had time to make my dad a holster for his 21. We shot IDPA a couple weeks ago. And he really struggled with the cheap bulldog that he picked up at Basspro the night before. I still haven't made it even though it's sitting in my safe right now.....

Nylon sack holsters are normally pretty scary for ROs, SOs, and instructors of classes.

I keep thinking of trying my hand with some kydex just for fun---then I realize that I don't have enough time for all the hobbies I currently have.  :)  Pretty cool that you roll your own!

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
jthhapkido, good article and starter suggestions, in general I am in complete agreement.  The difference is I have had a good Fobus holster, but I bought it something like 10 years ago and it went with the gun I bought it for when I sold it, can't say they are as good today as the one I had that really did a better job of covering the trigger guard then than the pictures I see today.

Working at Cabela's I get lots of people asking about holsters as well, I personally try to explain the differences in them and their intended use and that over time they will get more holsters because they are not all good for every use. I recommend the Sportster model  for beginners, and occasionally the Blade-Tech if we have one in stock for a gun that we do not have a Blackhawk for. I will even use a Sportster for Concealed Carry, being a big overweight guy that can hide just about anything under baggy clothing and the stand away from the body slightly way the sportster rides (and it holds my gun tight, but not so much it becomes a issue drawing) it is very comfortable.

I also in general agree on the Nylon holster but have worked with customers that just needed a holster to protect the gun and keep things from getting into the trigger area while in a drawer or other storage space where they are keeping it for emergency use.  While I agree entirely these are not appropriate for the use your article is talking about the $15 holster has a place in the market just like the $150 gun.  While these are not the optimal choices they are better than throwing stones if you need to defend yourself and can not afford or acquirer better.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »
Working at Cabela's I get lots of people asking about holsters as well, I personally try to explain the differences in them and their intended use and that over time they will get more holsters because they are not all good for every use. I recommend the Sportster model  for beginners, and occasionally the Blade-Tech if we have one in stock for a gun that we do not have a Blackhawk for. I will even use a Sportster for Concealed Carry, being a big overweight guy that can hide just about anything under baggy clothing and the stand away from the body slightly way the sportster rides (and it holds my gun tight, but not so much it becomes a issue drawing) it is very comfortable.

It was actually a surprise to me how comfortable the Sportster was with the paddle holster attachment---and I've used it to CCW also, back before I switched to AIWB.  I could never make IWB work, so I did OWB with a Sportster in the winter sometimes with sweatshirts and such, and it worked amazingly well.

I also in general agree on the Nylon holster but have worked with customers that just needed a holster to protect the gun and keep things from getting into the trigger area while in a drawer or other storage space where they are keeping it for emergency use.

Now that's a perfectly good reason to have one of those!  (Actually, I own a nylon holster for one of my revolvers for almost exactly that reason.)

While I agree entirely these are not appropriate for the use your article is talking about the $15 holster has a place in the market just like the $150 gun.  While these are not the optimal choices they are better than throwing stones if you need to defend yourself and can not afford or acquirer better.

True---while I personally think guns like Hi-Points and so on are bad choices, if your only choices are "poor choice" and "nothing" then you go with the poor choice, because a gun that shoots at least once is better than a sharp look and harsh language.  Similarly, having the gun on you is better than owning a gun you leave at home.

But....you can get kydex holsters for under $30 bucks, and while that is indeed twice as much as the cost of one of those $15 nylon sausage sacks, the SAFETY difference is so significant, and it is only $15 bucks more..... 

....which is why I don't run a gun store.  I'd be trying to talk people new to guns out of 50 cal Desert Eagles and and Kimber Eclipses in favor of Glocks and M&Ps while telling them to go online to get a decent kydex holster instead of the nylon thing we have in the shop. We'd never make any money!  :)

(Galco makes a Matrix holster for a Hi-Point for $30.  Who knew?)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 02:53:46 PM »
....which is why I don't run a gun store.  I'd be trying to talk people new to guns out of 50 cal Desert Eagles and and Kimber Eclipses in favor of Glocks and M&Ps while telling them to go online to get a decent kydex holster instead of the nylon thing we have in the shop. We'd never make any money!  :)

(Galco makes a Matrix holster for a Hi-Point for $30.  Who knew?)

Actually jth I think you would do well selling firearms and accessories.  People want to get info on what they are buying and what is best, yes they may not always make the best decision but all you can do is give them some knowledge to when making the decision. 

Good note is the people buying Desert Eagles are not usually buying those as their self defense weapon but as another toy, and I would love for them to be buying more (and higher priced even if only a few dollars more) holsters, profit margin on firearms sucks while that on accessories is generally good.

And the Galco holster for the High-Point is actually better than the gun in my opinion..

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »
I bought a Fobus once...it was horrible.  I needed a holster on short notice and it was all I could find at the time that would fit my gun.  You could mock up something out of tin foil and it would almost be sturdier.  Maybe they're not all that bad, but the one I had was very disappointing.  Oh well, one more addition to my big box o'holsters.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »
Lots of great choices out there.  Truly, we are living in the golden age of holsters.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller