< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Converting the Non-Believer:  (Read 1546 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Converting the Non-Believer:
« on: July 02, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
Mrs. SFG and I went to the huge Nebraska Furniture Mart complex yesterday.   (I'm her designated duty driver.)

While there we saw this big, tall fellow with a handgun conspicuously and openly carried in a RH OWB manner.   Being a nosy, curious sort, I mentioned it to the NFM Security Guard by whom we were standing.

Guard sez, "Oh, that's our Chief of Security."

It appears that NFM wishes to make a clear and public point that security is strong and strongly armed at NFM.

We all recall that just a coupla years ago, NFM doors were all conspicuously posted with "No Handguns" notices.   Then they had some kind of in-store incident and had to wait for the Omaha Police Department to appear on the scene to resolve it.

But no more "No Handguns" signs.   They have come to realize the essential truth of the adage, "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

I imagine that other handguns were in the store, as well.   Perhaps just not openly carried.

The Non-Believers have seen the Light.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Converting the Non-Believer:
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
If I owned a retail business, I would certainly be armed!
Glad they are seeing the light.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »
I heard/read something like the conceal carry started in the Texas store, and they wanted all the stores the same.  Glad they did.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
Experience is a harsh teacher - she gives the test first and then the lesson.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
The REAL reason they assuaged was the opening of their TX store ... They'd have gone down in flames real quick ...

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:34 AM »
Actually both issue played into the decision, as well as some public pressure.  They had been ignoring public pressure to change the rule for several years, unfortunately our side does not do a great job of applying pressure possibly because we agree they have a right to disagree with us and respect others having a different viewpoint. but at the time they were preparing to open a store in Texas and the discussion that brings about on store policies ect. there was an incident with an armed robber here in Omaha if I remember correctly.  At that point some of the things that those on our side of the isle had been saying started to make sense, and their Chief of Security supported the position (I believe a consultant from Law Enforcement did as well) of allowing lawfully carried firearms into the stores.

This really is a culmination of several factors, public pressure, review of policies due to operating in a new market, an incident that caused concern and someone being in the right position to support our side when it was needed.  Sometimes it take a perfect storm to make changes happen.

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
The policy change was more broad than just allowing customers with permits and security staff to carry.

Here's a link to a story that ran on Kansas City news in early 2013: http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/12/nebraska-furniture-mart-to-allow-employees-customers-to-carry-guns/
Marty

NFOA Member, NE CHP Holder, GSSF Member, NRA Life Member, Glock Certified Armorer

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 01:07:34 AM »
This policy was enacted before the Texas location was opened.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775