< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mandatory State Permit Expiration Notification  (Read 5049 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• NFOA Full Member
Mandatory State Permit Expiration Notification
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:16:25 PM »
I recently was notified by the State of Utah that my CCW permit was to expire within the next several months.  I immediately realized that my resident permit with Nebraska EXPIRED.  Now I have to retake the CCW class and reapply as if I was new permit applicant.  There is No grace period and you cannot get a duplicate trainign endorsement.  Why isn't the State of Nebaraska as proactive and progressive as the State of Utah in notifying its permit holders when renewal is open and their permit may be expiring.  A simple form letter or email would be enough to let people know after 5 years...check your permit.  I think a legislative change is order and the state should be required to notify all its permit holders.  They could simply add an additional $5-$10 to the renewal fee to cover their additional printing and labor costs.  At this point, I'd be willing to pay the full $100 renewal fee if I didn't have to wait to find a local class and start the process over.  Any chance we can lobby for this change?  Thanks to anyone willing to listen

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Mandatory State Permit Expiration Notification
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:05 PM »
Heck, they don't even notify you when your drivers licence expires. ( was stopped for speeding once and was informed by the nice officer I was expired SIX MONTHS!) 
I wonder if we need to go as far as legislation, or if we could simply chat with NSP.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:14:11 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
don't even notify you when your drivers licence expires. ( was stopped for speeding once and was informed by the nice officer I was expired SIX MONTHS!) 

Your notification for driver license renewal looks like junk mail.  It comes about 90 days prior to your DL expiration date.  This was started a few years ago so I imagine your issue took place longer ago.

On the CCW -- We shouldn't need one in the first place.   A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state; the RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFINGED. 

THAT is what we need to press for.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
IMHO I'm not sure I want to pay the taxes for extra staffing and equipment to set up a last-century-technology snail mail notification system.  Half of them will bounce back as undeliverable and then do you chase those down or pay someone to shred them?  Or the new resident opens it up and just found out that the prior resident has a carry permit? No thanks.

In the day and age that everyone is carrying a supercomputer on their hip, I just tell google calendar to create a reminder a few years in the future.  If you really worry whether the Chinese find our about it, you can always call it something obscure.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:13:06 AM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
Here's a thought...

take the permit out and look at it for a few seconds and you will see the expiration date is printed right there on the front.

Don't even think for a second that all the rest of us permit holders should pay extra to send out reminders so a few can avoid responsibility.

This damn nanny state mentality has got to end.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »

Here's a thought...

take the permit out and look at it for a few seconds and you will see the expiration date is printed right there on the front.

Don't even think for a second that all the rest of us permit holders should pay extra to send out reminders so a few can avoid responsibility.

Took the words right out of my mouth.   Personal responsibility is dead. 

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »
IMHO I'm not sure I want to pay the taxes for extra staffing and equipment to set up a last-century-technology snail mail notification system.  Half of them will bounce back as undeliverable and then do you chase those down or pay someone to shred them?  Or the new resident opens it up and just found out that the prior resident has a carry permit? No thanks.

In the day and age that everyone is carrying a supercomputer on their hip, I just tell google calendar to create a reminder a few years in the future.  If you really worry whether the Chinese find our about it, you can always call it something obscure.
It should be noted that the state actually has the software and database that would allow for automated notifications to permit holders and they can set the notices to forward but not allow for return notice. This can all be done with what the state has in place already as proven by the system that sends notices when the drivers license is expiring.

That being said, it is our responsibility to make sure we are watching the date of expiration for ourselves. As many others noted, just set a notice for the date with a reminder 90 days ahead in whatever calendar app you have.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 12:04:22 AM »
You have 4 months before the expiration date to renew.

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/applyorrenew.aspx
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
Here's a thought...

yup......

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
I'm in the process of renewing. I'm lucky, my permit was issued almost on my bday. If I renew early, will my expiration date change too?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Yes.

Or............at least...........Mine Did.

It loses the paid difference between times.

Our State Government at work.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »
No. State law is clear that your new expiration date is the same as the old. I renewed mine in April and got the same July expiration as my previous one.

The NSP mad the mistake on the first renewals, but that was all sorted out. It's best to apply as early as you can in case there is some issue that pops up.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »
I'm in the process of renewing. I'm lucky, my permit was issued almost on my bday. If I renew early, will my expiration date change too?
Mine did not. I renewed in October 2012, expires Jan 2017
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 02:57:02 PM »
There is an issue with us 10 year permit holders in that there are no rules specific to renewals after having previously renewed.

A trusted source tells me they plan to just renew as before with no re-training required...I guess we will see if that comes to be
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
Dan,
That is what I heard as well. Perhaps we can get an NSP rep to come speak at the annual meeting.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
Another thing to note on the renewal expiration dates, say you renewed in August for a permit that would have expired early November.  Your new permit will show the November date for your new expectation, but if you are using your CHP as a substitute for running the background check on a firearm purchase that will have a expiration date of August.  They ATF can only authorize the exemption for the NICS check for up to 5 years from the date the permit is issued.

Just a note becaus the first of our permit holders will be coming up in that bubble soon.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »
There is an issue with us 10 year permit holders in that there are no rules specific to renewals after having previously renewed.

Dan W ... would elaborate on your comment please?  The law seems clear i.e. renewal every 5 years (my synopsis).  What am I missing?

Also, ONLINE renewal in fashion of Texas is THE way to go IMHO.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »
Dan W ... would elaborate on your comment please?  The law seems clear i.e. renewal every 5 years (my synopsis).  What am I missing?

As I recall there was some discussion about training having to be within the last ( fill in the number of years) and that was waived for the 5 year renewals, but not necessarily for 10 years.

NSP could change the rules to require a new training certificate after 10 years, but I don't think they are leaning that way right now.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
That is an interesting thought/opinion.  Wonder how that came up?  Nothing in statute to support such as I can tell unless NSP just wants to make something up.  I do note one oddity that could be a source of confusion (as LAR-YAHS can do) ....  "RENEWAL OF PERMITS"  011.02  last sentence "The permit will be renewed and reissued within five (5) working days of receipt of the application valid for a five year period from the date of expiration of the initial permit".
Taken on its face, that phrase alone almost makes it sound like there would be NO renewals after your first one.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »

Won't work here in NE because of the renewal requirements for being fingerprinted and photographed again for the renewal permit.