< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Car/truck dealerships  (Read 2787 times)

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
Car/truck dealerships
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
Is there any dealership that is not a bunch of sheisters? 

I'm looking for a 4X4 Ranger or Dakota.  Doesn't need to be pretty, just a solid running truck.  I know they are popular.  That makes them really hard to find.  I'd like to stay under $4,000. 

Can anyone recommend a dealership or have one themselves they want to sell? 

Lincoln area.  I suppose Beatrice or other surrounding small towns. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Car/truck dealerships
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:11 PM »
I've had good luck with Sid Dillon, as has a friend of mine, they've bought 4 from them in the last 20 years. The used group over on 56th and O St is where to go.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
B&D Auto on N 48th is a good one. The price on the window is the price. No haggling and all the cars come with a 1 month guarantee.
Anderson isn't bad either -- no haggling with them either. The price is the price.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »
Good running 4X4's are hard to find for 4K...good luck!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »
B&D Auto on N 48th is a good one. The price on the window is the price. No haggling and all the cars come with a 1 month guarantee.
Anderson isn't bad either -- no haggling with them either. The price is the price.

Yup.  B&D is where I bought my last two pickups.  They'll be my first stop for the next one too.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
I've heard good about B & D.  I'll give them a shot.  I wet there Sunday and they did not have anything I wanted.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
Sid Dillon has a used lot of 58ish and O street and Anderson has one at 31st and cornhusker.

I use to sell parts on Cornhusker and I got a pretty good feeling about which lot has good cars and which doesn't. Besides B & D and Anderson do NOT buy on cornhusker hwy every other dealer buys the left over junk from auction and goes to U pull it and puts on used parts or does as little as possible to make it run "right" with new parts. B & D doesn't buy the bottom dollar so they do not repair as much and when they do its decent parts and often breaks and other wear parts.

Take your time you can find good deals watch craigslist and facebook has some groups that tend to bring out guys that need to unload a deal. But who ever you buy from don't just lift the hood and kick the tires. Crawl under the thing look for oil drive it get it hot then lift the hood use your nose to smell anything burning.

Like Dan said a good 4x4 is hard to find at 4k but if you take your time you can find it.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »
Good to know.  I kind of figured that little bit about the other dealers along Cornhusker. 

I don't have a f-book account, so......  But I do watch Craigslist.  I have a pretty good idea of what to look for but am not a mechanic.  It will be worth the $60 or so to have a mech look at it for me. 

Offline 2550sx

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
all i know is run from Honda cars bellevue. run as fast as you can

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »
A $4k 4x4 will have a lot of years and miles on it. That has two implications for you as the next owner.

The first is that you are buying the previous owner's (or owners') maintenance habits at least as much as the vehicle, itself. If he neglected routine maintenance and bandaided what broke instead of fixing it properly, even a fundamentally sound design will have deteriorated into a POS.

The second is that, even if the previous owner was conscientious about maintenance and properly repaired everything that has failed so far, there are still many items that are approaching the end of their service lives. When, not if, they finally wear out, you will be the one facing a repair bill.

Unless you are a good mechanic yourself, your best defense against buying a POS is a thorough inspection by an honest, competent mechanic. If the seller won't agree to an inspection, no deal regardless how good the vehicle appears to be superficially. I wish I could recommend a mechanic for an inspection but the only place I know well enough to trust is in Papillion and only works on foreign vehicles.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »
One of the members here (Ivars) works at Progressive Automotive on Adams. I'd trust him or Dan W more than anyone else in the city. Mainly because I know both of them personally. I'm not sure either do PPI's, but you can ask.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
One of the members here (Ivars) works at Progressive Automotive on Adams. I'd trust him or Dan W more than anyone else in the city. Mainly because I know both of them personally. I'm not sure either do PPI's, but you can ask.

I have 3 mechanics that I trust, so that's covered.  Thanks, though.  I may swing by Progressive auto sometime this week.  Where is it exactly?  It sounds familiar but I can't recall where.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
I have 3 mechanics that I trust, so that's covered.  Thanks, though.  I may swing by Progressive auto sometime this week.  Where is it exactly?  It sounds familiar but I can't recall where.

About 36th and Adams, south side of the road. Jeff is good people. Dan, the owner (i think) is also a good guy to deal with.