< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Congratulations to bkoenig!  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Congratulations to bkoenig!
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
Brian took third place, out of 59 competitors, last weekend in the Oklahoma Run and Gun 5K.  Shooting a "sponsored" rifle from RISE Armament (zeroed on steel the afternoon before the event) and sporting Trek Tech Black colors, Brian ran, climbed, carried and shot his way through 100° heat to capture his third place finish.

I managed to lose my scorecard and was disqualified as a result.  My shooting was not tracked but my run time was.  I would have had the second fastest run time had I not lost my scorecard.  :(

The TT Black Team

The Cargo Net

Aimpoint out to 500 Yards

Amazingly, no one was offended.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Congratulations to bkoenig!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:00:41 AM »
Awesome! Congrats and that looks fun!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »
You young, healthy guys have all the fun!!!! Congratulations to Brian. Better luck to you next time, Toby!
WØCHF

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
Good job Brian. Congratulations
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
You young, healthy guys have all the fun!!!! Congratulations to Brian. Better luck to you next time, Toby!

Who you calling young? :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
Thanks!  This was by far the most fun I've ever had in any kind of shooting competition.  I can't say enough about how well run the event was and what great people the organizers are. 

If you guys have a chance to check out any of RISE Armament's products I would highly recommend them.  The brake on that rifle kept the muzzle very flat during the close in hoser stages, but what was really impressive was the trigger.  The reset is so short that it's almost imperceptible.  I've never felt anything like it.  It would be an absolutely incredible trigger for 3 gun competition.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
Who you calling young? :D

If I'm young I'd hate to see what old is....

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »

If I'm young I'd hate to see what old is....

Apparently, Greybeard. :D

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »
Mr. B.
Absolutely Outstanding! Congratulations on a fine performance. You did Nebraska proud.
Goose

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
Good job! Just finishing is an accomplishment.  :)

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
Outstanding!

....and that competition looks like a TON of fun.  Except for the running part.  :)

What was the longest in-between-shooting run that you had to do?

What was the hardest shooting stage?  What was the most fun shooting stage?  Other than the cargo net, were there lots of other obstacles?  Was it more "running" or more "obstacles"?

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
Outstanding!

....and that competition looks like a TON of fun.  Except for the running part.  :)

What was the longest in-between-shooting run that you had to do?

What was the hardest shooting stage?  What was the most fun shooting stage?  Other than the cargo net, were there lots of other obstacles?  Was it more "running" or more "obstacles"?

There were actually two divisions - 5K and 10K.  I did the 5K and that was plenty in this heat.  The RO's all ran the day before the main competition and one of them did the 10k twice.  That guy is either a complete stud or insane.   ;D

The longest run all at once was about 2 miles down a dirt road.  The 10k guys did that stretch twice, and by the time I ran (11:00) it was pretty hot, so that was pretty challenging.  The first two stages were directly across the section from the rest of the course, so you had to run 1/2 mile / 1 mile / 1/2 mile to get to the third stage. 

For me the most challenging shooting stage was #2, which was 2 hits each on steel at 200, 300, and 500 yards.  I was shooting an unfamiliar rifle with an Aimpoint and I didn't know the holdovers so that was pretty tough.  The gun was very accurate, though, and as long as I could see my POI I could adjust and hit my target.  I wasn't able to see any splash on the 500 yard steel so I wasn't able to connect on that one.

I would say stage 1 and stage 3 were tied for the most fun.  Stage 1 was a fast, short range stage.  It's funny, but the trigger actually slowed me down a little on the first target.  You had to put 5 rounds each on four different paper plates, and after the first doubletap I kind of paused in shock at how fast it was.  After that it was ON.  ;D  Stage 3 was 1 shot each on steel from 250 yards, from 4 different positions - a rooftop, the hood of a truck, through a chain link fence, high barricade, and under a low barricade.  I lost my left earplug somewhere in between stages 2 and 3 so I shot that stage one handed, with my left index finger in my ear and the rifle forend rested on the stage props.  At the next stage I dug out a 9mm round and was in the process of jamming it in my ear when another shooter saw it and handed me an extra plug.  Note to self:  bring extra earplugs.

There weren't a ton of obstacles, but there was a lot of climbing up and down rough terrain.  It was more running than obstacles, but there were enough obstacles and shooting stages to break up the running and give you a little break.  The 5k started off with a low crawl under barbed wire and over rocks, up hill.  That was....unpleasant.  If you've ever done a Warrior Dash I would say the running and obstacles were about the same level of difficulty. 

I ran with all my pistol and rifle mags in a chest rig, and my pistol holster on a CR Speed belt.  Normally I like to have my mags on my belt since the reloads are a lot faster, but there weren't a lot of reloads on the clock so it wasn't as big of a consideration as in USPSA or multigun.  I have a screwed up sciatic nerve and too much pressure on my left hip causes me a lot of pain, so I was worried about any extra weight bouncing around on my belt.  The chest rig looked kind of mall ninja but it actually worked well for running since it held everything securely without any flopping or bouncing around.  I also was happy with the VTAC padded sling I used.  I was able to cinch it up nice and tight while running, then hit the quick release to extend it when it was time to shoot.  The most important piece of equipment was my camelback, though.  I took 3 liters along and used every drop.

We REALLY need to get something like this going in Nebraska.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:11:11 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
Good job dude!!
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »
{snip stuff that sounded like a blast--and thanks for giving so many details!}

We REALLY need to get something like this going in Nebraska.

I'd support that.  And help work it!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »
I've talked to Shea at 88Tactical about hosting something similar at his facility near Tekamah.  He's interested but would need someone else to do all the organization.  He also said that it would have to be in the winter when they aren't as busy.  I'm happy to contribute but I just don't think I have the time to do all the organization and line up all the volunteers necessary.

I've also had preliminary discussions with the folks at Heartland Shooting Park.  They were also open to the concept.  Not sure if the location helps or hurts in terms of attendance and staffing.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »

What he said!

I suspect the mall ninja look worked pretty good for you.  Now you you need to show up at ENGC and show off your skills for us mere (old) mortals :laugh:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
Except for the running and shooting, I think I would rock at this competition.  Or at least I would look really cool at the bar afterwards.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 12:04:30 AM »
Anyone a member of the Old breed gun club? They have Take a in Bloomfield and "brainar?" I think. Anyways I shot with these guys at a DC precision shot out last summer. Decided to follow them on FB they do a lot of long range stuff but I think that this might be something that they would like. They already host a LR shoot maybe they would be willing to do a 5k if they got some additional help organizing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
Here's a little video of some of the fun.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
Here's an idea, I'm not a shooting competition guy so someone else would need to head it up because I have no idea where to even start (but could have my arm twisted to do some trivial things that take no thought to help out), since it sounds like people would be interested in doing something like this, and there is people with ranges that also may be interested, why not get something like this started as an annual NFOA fundraiser.

People keep wanting to get Hornaday and Cabela's to support the NFOA, this is a way that the firearms industry would do things to support us by making prizes available, providing things etc.  The NFOA could sell sponsorships (ie. we put up a banner with your company listed as a sponsor) and the funds raised through that pay for the event and prizes, then raffle incomes and registration fee's go to the NFOA (and any left over sponsorship dollars).

If someone has an idea how to set something like this up and its scheduled far enough out to get sponsors and advertise it as I said I will through in a hand just so it is not something technical.