< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Good luck to all the deer hunters this weekend.  (Read 4226 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Good luck to all the deer hunters this weekend.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 09:44:01 PM »
nice stories.....my story isn't as good.  kinda frustrating.

so this past sunday and monday i went hunting for deer, pheasant and turkeys on my parent's land in NE nebraska.  my brother lent me his shotgun and my dad let me borrow his .30-06.

on sunday i saw nothing, maybe a few pheasants but i wasn't interested in pheasants at the time.

so on monday i got up around 5am and set up my blind.  and around 8am, my stomach churned and started growling, but i wasn't hungry.  thats right, i had to go.....and go badly.  so i threw my stuff back in my dad's pickup, flew home and finished the business... but it gets worse.  i went back to a different piece of land and decided pheasants are my target.  i take the shotgun and after about 100 yards i hear something, its a doe 50-60 FEET away from me.  it was perfectly lined up shot and very big, but i have a shotgun.  that sucked.  so i walked back to the truck and got the rifle and binoculars.  as i walked back i couldn't find the doe which shouldn't have been hard.  i walked several hundred feet and saw some pheasants in my binoculars.  so i walked back to the truck and got the shotgun.  the pheasants flew long before i got there.  so i went home and helped my dad for a few hours on the farm.  around 3pm, i went to a prime area, except the neighbor hasn't picked his corn yet.  there were trails everywhere, buck rack scratchings, very fresh feces and obvious bedding places everywhere, but no deer.

so i gave up.  my two days of hunting was over.  good thing i have plenty of time left for upland birds and January deer.  but congrats to everyone else's successes!

and by the way, is it legal to carry a loaded shotgun and loaded rifle while hunting pheasants and deer at the same time?  granted i wear the hunter orange.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »
I'd suggest taking a few rifled slugs along with you if you go pheasant hunting this weekend. That would take down a deer just fine.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
"I'd suggest taking a few rifled slugs along with you if you go pheasant hunting this weekend. That would take down a deer just fine."

My thoughts exactly. At 60 feet..... not a problem.

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.