< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Good luck to all the deer hunters this weekend.  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Good luck to all the deer hunters this weekend.
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:51:14 AM »
My daughter and I are heading out our back door right now. She was sick all last season and only got a couple of days in and never got a shot, so we are on a mission this year to get her her first deer of her very own.

Good luck, all!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Good luck to all the deer hunters this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
Seen nothing this morning.  :-\

I'll be trying again this afternoon...and the rest of the week until I get one.  >:D

I'm glad I at least got a doe about a month ago when we had that "doe only weekend".  It's tasty too!!
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »
Well, it only took about 15 minutes and one great shot right through the heart for my 13 year old (her 13th b-day was yesterday) to officially join the ranks of "deer slayer". I don't know who was more excited (and nervous) when the buck walked out in front of us, me or her.

We still have permits to fill, so we have some work to do at the house today, then we'll be back at it later.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »
Nice, it's 1:30 in the afternoon, and we are carrying furniture into the basement when 3 NICE does trot by not more than 75 yards out. They are in no big hurry and walk into the unpicked corn next to us. Of course our rifles are in the house, and my kid is carrying a big potted plant and I am carrying a tv.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
i have to work today or i'd be out hunting.  but im going home to my parent's place super early on sunday and im gonna get me something!  i have a doe only permit.

when my dad was combining beans, he told me, "I've seen a few pheasants, no turkeys but A LOT of deer."  (outlook looks good for me.)

stay safe!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
About 08:00 this morning. This fellow came out to see what happend to the buck I had just shot. My grandaughter was ready with her trusty 6mm Rem.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
CONGRATS! to the young lady.  Nice buck.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
I'm not a hunter. Tried it 30 years ago (rabbit and duck), but quickly found out that it's not for me. There's nothing like the sound of a not quite dead rabbit.  :o

Anyway, from what I hear, the deer population is quite large this year. I'm an animal lover, and unlike some, I'd rather have them culled quickly than die slowly from starvation or simply being hit by a car.

So, I'll repeat it here. Good luck to all the deer hunters this weekend!

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »
Congrats on the success. Thanks for taking your kids. I seen a bumper sticker that really says it like it all: "Take your kids hunting and you''l never have to hunt for your kids". Some of the greatest times of my life were hunting with my kids.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 07:35:42 AM »
Didn't have any luck last evening, of course it didn't help that some jack-hole was parked in my field and "exercising" his dog without permission(trespassing).
The even better part was, I didn't notice that someone had removed all my NO TRESPASSING signs, so the deputies that came out could not even give the guy a ticket.   :angry9:  :angry9:  :angry9:

I need to get farther away from Omaha.  ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »
i always thought it was trespassing, when you did not have permission; whether posted or not!

That's why us guys outstate don't want those funny license plates with the 3 letters and 3 numbers, we can tell where some of em are from.   ;D

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »
Not all of us from Omaha are bad. I respect all land owners.
 Just not Rick.   Ya want your signs back?   ;D
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

A-FIXER

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
Its sunday night and came in at 600 sat with 3 deer my 27 yr old son my 17 yr old daughter her first and me. Yikes man o man were them their deer hard to lug out the 4 miles of brush and no axcess to motor vehicals to due to the terrain and got them butchered today taking to the processor for jerky/sausage/and the like.....

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 06:33:52 AM »
My brother has 2 groups from Omaha that come out and hunt on the home place.  Nice guys and have been coming for years.  There are always a few bad apples that give the rest a bad name.  Congrats to all the deer hunters, used to do it myself but haven't for several years now.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 12:38:09 AM »
I've seen a couple this weekend but getting sick of the hunters driving by and stopping on the road (which I can see from my stand) and pointing their guns towards me---- making me a bit nervous. Anyway I will get my deer this year, I ain't getting hosed again. Didn't get any last year. Too much going on. anyway good luck all. and congrats to those of you lucky enough to have filled.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »
We did not get any monsters this year, but we have 2 deer in the freezer and added a good story.......

...... After 2 days of hard hunting (an unproductive Saturday and just enough of a cold, wet, Sunday to prove that my Rocky's waterproofing expiration date had expired) my daughter was tired...... we settled into "Our Spot" at 0630 Monday morning....... Eldest sat on "The Barca Lounger" (A 2' diameter tree trunk that comes out of the ground at about a 30 degree angle ....... there's a hole/hollow tree trunk next to it where the fabled ZZZZ Monster resides........), and I sat on the ground a couple feet away......  just after 7, I noted she had dozed off, and woke her.  I told her I was going to look out on the hay field that was obscured by a row of round bales 40 yards away, and that she had to stay awake and watch the trail coming up from the creek.....  I crept out to a point next to a big tree where I could see over the bales, and searched the field for deer...... nothing.  I decided to stay there and watch the field for a bit.......

...... after about ten minutes, I glanced over my right shoulder and caught movement out of the corner of my eye....... behind me.  I spun around 180 degrees to my left to see the hind end of a deer (on the trail I had told Eldest to watch!) disappear behind some brush....... the deer stopped for at least 15 seconds behind that brush...... I was sure he had seen me turn around and was getting ready to bolt..... and then I am thinking, "Why is Eldest not shooting?!?!?!"  The deer then steps out from behind the brush and then stops, attention on Eldest..... I remember Thinking, "Whitetail? Check. Antlers? Check.  SightPicture? Check. I don't remember squeezing the trigger..... BOOM! The buck hunched up and kicked up his hind legs like he was gutshot and ran past me....Boom! Eldest shoots at him and I send a round after him as he runs up a hill 75 yars away..... I have a sickening feeling as I contemplate chasing a guthot deer for miles through the Rikli pasture.... quickly replaced by elation as I find a splotch of frothy bright blood halfway up the hill..... followed by much more at the top.  Eldest found him seconds later..... 1 hit, right where it was supposed to go.....

...turns out, Eldest had succumbed to the ZZZZ Monster and had woken when I shot....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:03:39 AM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
That's ok, it happens. At least you got it.

We were trekking back to a little sweet spot I know late Sat morning looking for a doe for my kid to fill up her permit after her buck she took earlier in the day when three nice sized ones popped out right in front of us, about 40 yards out. They stopped, standing broadside to us, and froze, looking our direction. It seemed like they were standing there forever, and I kept waiting for the BANG. I finally whispered over to my daughter, SHOOT, when she replied, "I'M TRYING!"

About then they bolted and were gone. Turns out she was so nervous about these deer being pretty much gifted to us, and where we weren't expecting them, that she completely forgot about the little lever on her rifle called the "safety". Whoops.

THEN.... OMG...

Fast forward several hours.

We spent that evening in my blind right behind my house, waiting for a doe to walk past us. Directly across the road from the front of my house is a dense timber with lots of cover and bedding area, and over the hill behind my house is a nice farm pond. Behind our house, between the timber and the pond is the field that my blind overlooks. This year, it was planted to beans. There is a tree filled fence line separating it and the adjoining field, which this year is corn, and it is still in the field. The fence line runs all the way from the timber to the pond.

Sure enough, about a half hour after we sat down, we spotted 2 big does crossing the fence line after coming out of the unpicked corn next to us. They were probably 500-600 yards out, and were slowly headed down the fence line, right to us. Now remember, we are basically in our back yard, right behind our machine shed. We can't see our house because the shed is between it and us, but we are so close that we can hear everything that goes on there. We had taken some time that afternoon to haul some furniture home that we were going to use in our basement. We had unloaded part of it, but then hunting time came, so we decided to leave the rest of it until after dark. My wife said that was fine, because her oldest son was coming down for dinner that night, and could help us unload whatever was left.

Well, as we are watching these 2 deer make their way down the hill, we hear a car coming up the rock road, and then slow down, and apparently turn into our driveway. A car door slams, and then the door to the house opens and closes. OK, so the kid got there early. It didn't seem to bother the deer any, so no harm, no foul.

Now, the deer are about 300 yards out and still coming when we hear the house door open again. NOW WHAT??? Then, we hear the trailer door open, and we could obviously tell that someone was dragging furniture out of the trailer. We found out later that Kim's son (who is NOT a hunter, not even a farm kid lol) decided he was going to do a good deed and help unload the trailer while Kim was cooking dinner. Of course, he never told her this, so she had no idea he was outside making a rucus.

The deer heard this, paused, but amazingly resumed their trek down the fence line. I quietly reached into my coat pocket and got out my phone (which I had turned off). I turned it on and sent a "pleasant" text to my wife asking her what the heck was going on. I sat down the phone, took a breath to calm myself down, and went back to watching the deer.

Finally, they come into range, and turn across us, heading out into the bean field to graze (which is exactly what we had been waiting for them to do). Our plan is coming together perfectly. In a minute or so, they are going to be directly in front of us, about 75 yards out, broadside, and either standing still, or slowly walking. As they get further away from the fence and out into the open field in front of us, my daughter readies herself for a shot. We hear another car in the distance coming up the road, but it doesn't concern us much as we are moments away from a shot anyway. She takes a deep breath, I hear the safety click off, the deer are slowly walking perpendicular to us, and are seconds away from being in perfect position, when RING RING RING, my phone (that I forgot to turn back off) goes off. It startles both me and my kid, and we both flinch.

Well, it startled the deer as well. Between the phone ringing and us jumping, they take one look at us and bolt back in to the corn. There was about a second when there was a shot at the running deer that I would have taken, but my daughter was not comfortable shooting at anything running at speed, and she had lost the sight picture anyway when she jumped at the phone.

Wanna know the best part....

The car coming up the road was a buddy of mine, and he was calling me to find out where we were, so that he could tell me there were two deer back behind our house.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
"Wanna know the best part....

The car coming up the road was a buddy of mine, and he was calling me to find out where we were, so that he could tell me there were two deer back behind our house."

LOL!

Really?  There WERE two deer behind my house....... until some idjit called me to tell me sump'n I already knew.........

.... and Eldest had isues with the superfluous crossbolt safety on her Marlin 336 last year....... maddening, that.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:26:16 AM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Wanna know the best part....

The car coming up the road was a buddy of mine, and he was calling me to find out where we were, so that he could tell me there were two deer back behind our house.

No way !!! That's too bad. Got to love buddies.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

A-FIXER

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
whew I was at the edge of my seat and spilled my coffee on me and dropped my brownie on the floor as I read the last part of the story.... LOL .... SORRY THAT STORY MADE MY DAY....