< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Let's plan a run & gun!  (Read 3882 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Let's plan a run & gun!
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »
Ok, breaking off from the thread about the Oklahoma Run & Gun event.  It sounds like there is a lot of interest in hosting something like this in Nebraska.  For those who aren't familiar, here's what we're talking about:

http://www.okrunngun.com/

The OK event is a 5K or 10K adventure race, run both offroad and on a dirt road, with rifle and pistol shooting stages spread throughout the course.  Everything you need must be carried with you - rifle, pistol, ammo, ear/eye protection, water, etc.

I see three big obstacles to overcome:
1. A suitable location
2. Volunteers to run the event
3. Insurance to protect the landowner and organizers

It sounds like we may have a location available, since Mudinyeri has talked to Signal 88.  I would assume (not sure) that their existing insurance policy would cover the event.  Another option would be my family farm.  We have pasture land in Northeast Nebraska and my family would be willing to host the event if we can find people to run it and insurance to cover the event.  The land is pretty rough and would make for a very challenging course with plenty of good places to shoot.  The downside is that it's quite a ways away (3 hours drive northwest of Lincoln) and since it's a working cattle operation we would need to do it either in the spring before cattle are in the pasture or in the fall/winter after the corn is out and they've been moved to the stalks.

Contacting Old Breed Gun Club to assist in running the event has also been mentioned.  I think they would be a great resource, wherever we hold the event.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Let's plan a run & gun!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
very interested.  maybe we could shorten it to 3K since im way out of shape.  this could also be an ARFCOM get HTF get-together, but i won't post anything there yet.

i remember being on BK family's farm for a short hunting trip.  was very rough and a location.

possible NFOA fundraiser?  any possible sponsors for a prize table?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »
Sounds great.  I like the idea of adding the 3K or changing the 5 to a 3.  :)
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »
I would imagine the turnout would be immensely better if it was in the Lincoln/Omaha area.  I might even give it a try some day.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
 what vehicles can you use to get around on this course?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
what vehicles can you use to get around on this course?
Senior division?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »
ENGC range could work if they will allow it. Plenty of firing positions. Could run to and  from entrance for distance. Run from 600 meter range to pistol bays, back to 300 meter range, back to 100 yard range and so forth. Could maybe even run behind the pistol bays if it could be done safely.

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
Just a thought, but events like this are fun if they are covering terrain between shots.  Shooting in the same bays and just running back and forth to achieve a certain distance = Boring. 

I know I could recruit 5-7 shooters for an event like this, even if there's a drive of a coupe hours involved. 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:44:33 PM »
I menchened this over in the other thread.but any chance we could get a NRD?

I agree with both waltherfan and pc13. The thing with a drive I think you have to start looking motels or areas for people to camp the night before. Maybe ppl would drive up same day but getting up at 5 am for a 8 am start time would be a bit harsh with a 5k. Or it would be for me.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
I have a couple friends on the Papio NRD board, let me reach out and I can see if they have a piece of land that something could be done on.  The problem here is that whenever some other use comes up for the land we would loose our course.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
I have a couple friends on the Papio NRD board, let me reach out and I can see if they have a piece of land that something could be done on.  The problem here is that whenever some other use comes up for the land we would loose our course.
That would be great. I was thinking like Rock Glen down by fairbury. Lots hips draws all that stuff. I use to hunt it before I got access to more private land

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
Just a thought, but events like this are fun if they are covering terrain between shots.  Shooting in the same bays and just running back and forth to achieve a certain distance = Boring. 

I know I could recruit 5-7 shooters for an event like this, even if there's a drive of a coupe hours involved. 

I agree, you want lots of varied terrain.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »
Lots of great ideas guys but I think we need a ring leader! I'm willing to assist as much as possible but I am spread pretty thin. More organization we have now the better we will later!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
Good point.  I've never run something like this before but I'm willing to take the lead in organizing it, unless someone else would like to do it.  I would welcome any input from experienced match directors.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 10:45:54 AM »
Been thinking about location, anyone here a member of Bellevue Rod and Gun Club?  Think they might be interested in partnering up?  There facility itself is not big enough for this but just across HWY 75 (trying to get exact location) Papio NRD has some land, which they have no funding to do anything with.  This land at one point had a factory on it that polluted the soil, and there were some water wells for Bellevue that turned up contaminated and had to be shut down.  There is a county road that goes under the highway to get there.

There is a couple of the Board Members that have been after me to look at developing a range there, something that sits next door to an established gun club is something I don't think would be a good idea.  But being able to make use of that land in conjunction with a gun Club and their land for something like this might be good.  We could even encourage them to do habitat restoration \ land clean up and work things out so we could have use of the land for several years.

Extra issues to overcome, obviously using county roads but that should not be a problem.  Biggest issue is this land is under the flight path for OFFUTT AFB, but it is far enough out that as long as we reach out and coordinate should be workable, and may encourage some folks from there to compete.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
Would shooting be allowed on the NRD land?

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
Would shooting be allowed on the NRD land?

Depending upon the land, they set aside land for differing uses.  The price I am talking about has no set aside use at this time other than the fact that somehow the NRD needs to do clean up here.  With no set aside use and my contacts on the board I can get this one worked out pretty easily, especially if I can sell it as bringing attention to what the NRD does and what people can do to help.

Also working with a couple different groups and the NRD on an actual range else where, that could become the funding start for the 501(c)3 that has been talked about in the past.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
OK here is kind of the area I was thinking of:

You can see where the Bellevue Rod and gun club is, they have a trap range as well as a rifle range that shoots into the Levee for a back stop. then things can move along the river via either roads or just access along the river, lots of wooded and covered area there for trail runs, to the area owned by Papio NRD.  The NRD will be sending me a map that has the exact location and boundaries of their land.  There is lots of other land there that is privately owned that we may be able to get use of as well, PCS(?) had a factory in the area that caused ground pollution and most likely would be able to get use of shooting on their land and MUD still owns the well site that they can no longer pump from that may be made available, as well as farmers and a couple of camps that could at least allow cross over ability.

Director of Papio NRD likes the idea, land is not available for immediate use they have lots of clean up going on from flooding a couple years ago, but Board would need to approve (I have close to a majority of the board as friends, approval is easy).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:54:38 PM by AAllen »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
I have not shot a weeping water before but could they be a consideration? Google earth looks like there much be some area around it,

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »
OK here is kind of the area I was thinking of:

You can see where the Bellevue Rod and gun club is, they have a trap range as well as a rifle range that shoots into the Levee for a back stop. then things can move along the river via either roads or just access along the river, lots of wooded and covered area there for trail runs, to the area owned by Papio NRD.  The NRD will be sending me a map that has the exact location and boundaries of their land.  There is lots of other land there that is privately owned that we may be able to get use of as well, PCS(?) had a factory in the area that caused ground pollution and most likely would be able to get use of shooting on their land and MUD still owns the well site that they can no longer pump from that may be made available, as well as farmers and a couple of camps that could at least allow cross over ability.

Director of Papio NRD likes the idea, land is not available for immediate use they have lots of clean up going on from flooding a couple years ago, but Board would need to approve (I have close to a majority of the board as friends, approval is easy).

That looks fun...if the area between the club and the NRD area is available to run across you could come up with some very interesting water obstacles....