< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for target stands and barrels  (Read 2161 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Looking for target stands and barrels
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
I recently joined a local range that is close enough to home to make it feasible for me to commit more time to live fire practice, and that will allow me to do the kind of practice that I need to improve my skills in the sport of action shooting. 

I would like to find some plans for target stands that I cold put together myself. I've googled for different ideas and found plans for stands made of PVC and 2x4 wood. However, both these options seem to be fairly bulky considering that I will be hauling these items (5 to 10) to the range with me. One thought was to use angle iron, but I have no welding equipment nor the required skills.  Assuming I did all the cutting, does anyone have an idea how much I would be charged to weld the pieces together?  Or would I just be better off buying some stands?

I was also considering getting some used 55 gallon plastic barrels to use as barricades. Does anyone know a commercial operation that regularly has barrels they discard? I found someone in town selling them for $10, but thought they might be available for free.

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Looking for target stands and barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:52 AM »
FLY

I have your barrel needs covered and i think i might be able to help out with the welding part also if you decide to go that route. I'll message you and we can talk more.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:46:25 AM by tstuart34 »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
FLY

I have your barrel needs covered and i think i might be able to help out with the welding part also if you decide to go that route. I'll message you and we can talk more.

Thanks! PM reply sent.

Fly

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
How about pvc and 1x2 s instead of 2 x 4 s ?  Easily disassembled and reassembled. 

Need some weight or stakes if the wind picks up though. 
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:50:42 PM »
 I can also help with the welding, and I would also be interested in barrels if you have any extra,
  I have some stands made you can look at, I been making them for many years
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:56 PM »
How about pvc and 1x2 s instead of 2 x 4 s ?  Easily disassembled and reassembled. 

Need some weight or stakes if the wind picks up though. 

I looked at several plans for PVC stands. The weight issue you mention was one of my concerns.  The other being that, though the PVC can be broken down, they still take up a lot of space.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:24 PM »
I can also help with the welding, and I would also be interested in barrels if you have any extra,

Do you have any photos?

Fly

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
Ill get some pics tomorrow,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »

Yep I can get some more. Just want to note these are NOT NOT NOT food grade barrels. These are chemical barrels and many have had a bioside in them for treating our process water. The stuff will make you very sick or kill you.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:38:50 AM »
The stands you can make from 2x4s (just the bases, you fit 1x2 or lath into them to staple the targets to) don't actually take up that much space.

If you want a stable target stand, they have to have either 1) some mass to them, 2) a fairly decent-sized footprint, or 3) a way to spike them into the ground.

Probably one of the smallest-but-durable target stands I've seen is the folding one by Nevco:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/targets-accessories/target-stands/folding-target-stand-sku100003723-26669-52162.aspx

(Needs spikes to be stable in any wind, though.)

That being said, I've seen several people simply use two short PVC pipes with with spikes wire-tied to them---simply spike them into the ground at the appropriate distance, drop lath into each, and staple the target to the lath.  Works pretty well, if you get the right-sized PVC pipe.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »
I made stands out of 1.5" PVC pipe that can be disassembled and lay flat.  I don't think you'll find anything more lightweight or easily transported.  I've used old tires and sandbags to hold them in the wind.  I use furring strips for the uprights.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
How about pvc and 1x2 s instead of 2 x 4 s ?  Easily disassembled and reassembled.  Need some weight or stakes if the wind picks up though. 

You could also fill the Base pipes with Sand or lead shot 
and then seal them with wax or something to keep it from leaking or falling out.

and leaving some area for the upright pipes or boards to side into the base.                  

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
I made stands out of 1.5" PVC pipe that can be disassembled and lay flat.  I don't think you'll find anything more lightweight or easily transported.  I've used old tires and sandbags to hold them in the wind.  I use furring strips for the uprights.

Could you still drill holes through the base and use some type of stake to hold them down?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »
Could you still drill holes through the base and use some type of stake to hold them down?

You could but PVC likes to shatter when holes are drilled in it.  One could make some U-shaped stakes but I usually just grab a couple tires if I'm at ENGC or my own range on the farm.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
You could but PVC likes to shatter when holes are drilled in it.  One could make some U-shaped stakes but I usually just grab a couple tires if I'm at ENGC or my own range on the farm.
Yeah you wouldn't want to hit it with a hammer. I know the range that fly is at and they don't stuff like ENGC and I can see why he wants to keep it light and compact.

I think I might try and make some of these up. My cousin just bought a new place north of Lincoln and I'm hoping he might have some room that I can set up and do some movement shooting .