< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any Illinois Options?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Any Illinois Options?
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
I'm a NE ccw holder.  tomorrow we will be pulling our camper to wisconsin, but then next week traveling from wisconsin to nashville.

That is, northern tip of crummy IL, to southern tip of IL.  this also includes a 1 night stay over inside of the state.

I'm going to have to totally disarm for 13 days?  Do i have any options other than suck it up?

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Any Illinois Options?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
Click on IL in the map on this page, then take a look at the information beginning on page 10.  This obviously isn't legal advice, but I refer to this website a lot when I have questions.

http://handgunlaw.us/

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
Also .... and contrary to urban legend, the Illinois State Patrol is VERY helpful and actually knowledgeable on this topic.  I would recommend a call for any clarifications/questions.  Outside of Chicagoland you should be in compliance as long as said HG remains in the vehicle (MY summary, NOT legal advice).

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:05:37 AM »
Wow! IL is $300 for an initial non-resident permit and then everyone has to pay $150 for a renewal.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
With a NE CHP, you can carry while in your vehicle in IL, but can't carry outside of your vehicle.  I contacted the IL state patrol about this a while ago.  My email to them:

To whom it may concern,

I am a resident of Nebraska and hold a Nebraska concealed handgun permit (CHP).  I've read the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act (430 ILCS 66/) and have one brief question regarding transport (or carry) of a concealed firearm in a vehicle while driving through Illinois.

Section 40 states this:
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
        (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
        (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
        (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

The question I have is this: does subsection (e) allow me, a NE CHP-holder to have a loaded and concealed firearm on my person (for example, in a holster attached to my hip) in my vehicle while driving through Illinois?  I just want to make sure because the word used in subsection (e) is "transport", not "carry".

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Their response:

Yes, while driving in your vehicle.  If you leave your vehicle, then you have to unload the firearm and secure it properly in your vehicle.  Thank you for checking.

Respectfully,
Illinois State Police
Firearms Services Bureau
Concealed Carry Section

Hope this helps.  You may want to check these details for yourself, just in case anything has changed (the emails were sent in September 2014).